• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Waterloo and Euston

danbarjon

GWR will be running some Reading to Euston services next week for tests.

Edit: Upon further inspection I can't find them on RTT but apparently their headcodes are 3Q80 - 3Q83 running Reading to Euston according to a user on another thread on here.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MacT

Edit: Upon further inspection I can't find them on RTT but apparently their headcodes are 3Q80 - 3Q83 running Reading to Euston according to a user on another thread on here.
A quick search on RTT has sourced these paths:

danbarjon

Thanks, I couldn't find them for some reason.

Boodiggy

That was me!

The full circuit includes Paddington and North Pole too, but I only listed the headcodes for the trains in to Euston.

Snow1964

Established Member

Thanks
36 minutes from Acton Main Line to Euston
13.5 minutes from Euston to Acton Main Line

Hopefully they are not final path timings

Nippy

13.5 minutes from Euston - Acton ML isn’t bad. But agreed coming the other way is slow as coming the other way, pathing through WL Junction is trickier. I wouldn’t think these are the final path though.

Boodiggy

13.5 minutes from Euston - Acton ML isn’t bad. But agreed coming the other way is slow as coming the other way, pathing through WL Junction is trickier. I wouldn’t think these are the final path though.
It sits on the South Wests for 20 minutes so if a platform is free at Euston and a gap at West London Jn it might not sit that long….

Nippy

I work Wembley box. The tricky bit will be getting a gap at WLJ. The 15mph crossovers are a pain.

Boodiggy

Yes, very slow junction.
It was a nightmare to maintain when I worked there many years ago!

Mainline421

I wouldn't call an ECS a service.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Surely 2tph to each of Euston and Waterloo is better than just 2tph to Euston?
Why? If it takes ages to get to Waterloo then nobody will use those services, the risk is that journey planners might even tell people to change trains at Reading which would be carnage.

Fermiboson

Should the comparison for travel time not be made against terminating at Ealing Broadway and taking the tube into central London, as opposed to the time taken to reach Paddington under normal circumstances? After all, that will be the only available alternative when this happens.

Boodiggy

Oh yeah I get that, I was more responding to the comment that if the platform was available, we’d be able to run them early from WLJ
The GWR units are not cleared for slow lines yet so you won’t need to cross them across the whole ladder…..

Nippy

The GWR units are not cleared for slow lines yet so you won’t need to cross them across the whole ladder…..
I know, but considering the 805 and 807s are it shouldn’t be too much work to get them cleared…..

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

No of course not - they're just weaving them into the regular timetable at present in the off-peak as extra STP trains. There would be a fully pathed timetable which would likely be in the 15-20 min ballpark when they actually do run in passenger service.

Nippy

No of course not - they're just weaving them into the regular timetable at present in the off-peak as extra STP trains. There would be a fully pathed timetable which would likely be in the 15-20 min ballpark when they actually do run in passenger service.
I was responding to the person hoping 36 minutes was not a final path. I’m not that good at posting including quotes.

Slightly different dimensions hence the restriction..
Yep and as they’re slightly different it shouldn’t be too hard to get the restriction removed.

Last edited:

Boodiggy

I was responding to the person hoping 36 minutes was not a final path. I’m not that good at posting including quotes.

Yep and as they’re slightly different it shouldn’t be too hard to get the restriction removed.
It will following the usual process for gauge clearance and compatibility.

Nippy

It will following the usual process for gauge clearance and compatibility.
Yes of course, I just meant there shouldn‘t be too much work, if any on the ground to do. I’m not commenting further now.

Boodiggy

Yes of course, I just meant there shouldn‘t be too much work, if any on the ground to do. I’m not commenting further now.
Yes, shouldn’t be too much work.
Potentially copers on disused platforms at South Hampstead if anything.. (not sure if they came off for the mk4 coaches for Blackpool services a few years ago)…