• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

H-O-W - Best of British bus bash 16/05/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

On the 16th of May, I had a rather good sunny day on my Best of British bus bash.
So, what do I mean by Best of British bus bash you may ask? Well the idea was to hunt down some classic favourite buses of mine, such as Olympians, Steppy Darts, Breadvans, Marshall Darts etc, and maybe bring out the red pen in the process too for short leaps or lining up with other moves.
I would go on anything old and would go up to S or V reg, but if there are L reg or N reg buses around then they take priority!

So, my prediction was that I would have a bit of a low score in Weston and be bowled out by a lot of plastic models, then I could see myself coming back to Bristol and not finding many step entrance darts. Let's see how the day actually went:

0605 265 Trowbridge Town Hall - Bath Bus Station

I started off waking up later than planned at around 0535, not what I needed! With no time for coffee, I did what I should have done yesterday and packed my bag with what I needed.
Out the door at 0555, I took the short walk to the town hall bus stops via an ATM, and saw Alexander Pointer 2 Dennis Dart 42905 (WX05 RVN) allocated to the 0605 to Bath. This seems to be booked for an SLF as I believe it does something else after. 2-3 years ago when I last did it, it used to form a 318.

Not my preferred choice of stock to start the day but obviously I get on anyway so I can get to Weston-super-Mare as planned.
I get my First Day South West ticket which is indeed £7 all day, though the machine suggested it's £12.40! The driver said 'Oh, it always does that, I don't know why. It prints two of them as well!' and so it did! I paid £7 anyway as that was the actual price which is also printed on the ticket, so I don't know how the machine read £12 at the same time!

It wasn't a bad trip overall, been ages since I have been on the 265, though the dart was falling apart it seems as it was vibrating like mad all the time, and the engine was also rattling like mad over 20mph! There was only around 10 people on, some got on at Bradford-on-Avon, the rest we picked up on the outskirts of Bath.

A V reg Connect dart was seen on the 10 which had the route scrolling through on the back route display which also showed the number. A bit hard to explain but it looked odd on a small display box, as there was a very short amount of letters showing each time as it scrolled through, I had a hard time following what it said!

Arrival into the bus station at Bath was 0644, 8 minutes early. There's my original +3 connection onto the X39 made easier then!
Whilst waiting for the X39, two step entrance darts were noted, one was N reg 46925 on the 10 to Southdown, and then just after that, N reg 46247 shunted into bay 12.
At least I know there's a couple out today, but I'll pass on it for now and stick to the plan.

0655 X39 Bath Bus Station - Bristol Bus Station

Wrights Eclipse Volvo B7RLE 66734 (WX54 XCV) was allocated to the X39 this morning. Again, it's been a long time since I've been on a 54' reg Eclipse and I thought the back seat was a comfy spot...maybe not! Bog all leg room and the seat in front keeps smacking you in the knee if you don't hold the seat. Then it came to me that it was the emergency door seat that had more room.

I spent most of the journey out of Bath reading the Metro. Once I had done with that my brain kicked in coming up with the usual idea of changing plans...argh!
I still had visions of trekking down to Weston to see an Eclipse or Gemini on the 112, getting on it to see what's coming back and getting bowled by something similar again, then maybe getting bowled on other routes...I don't know why (Sorry Ivo, I shouldn't be doubting what you told me either!) so the rest of the journey was filled with 'should I? Shouldn't I? Maybe?' etc etc!

In the Brislington area, I saw a Merc bendy bus on the A4 P&R which looked suspiciously like an ex-London one as it had text blinds on the front, back and side, is there ex-TfL examples here?

Anyway soon enough we were at Bristol Bus Station arriving 15 minutes late at 0755, no surprise as the traffic was wedged in the Brislington and Temple Meads area.

The 0800 X1 was noted with a 669xx WX55 Eclipse on, well stuff that, if I wanted to do an Eclipse I'd do the X39 or 265! I wouldn't have minded a ALX400 though I wouldn't mind trying these E400s to get me to Weston.

So I flagged the Eclipse as I thought it might be a good idea to wait a bit for another one.
So I got a coffee from pumpkins and tried to get a timetable booklet for the Bath area since I don't have an up-to-date one, but the office doesn't open until 0830.

0815 353 Bristol Bus Station - Weston-super-Mare, Marine Parade

After a few minutes, an ex-Plymouth P&R E400 showed up to form the 0815 to Weston, so I opted for that! I only need 2 for sight as I have seen them yonks ago in Plymouth, but have never been on any of them.

33417 (WA56 FTP) was the E400, still in the sky blue and grass livery, which I like actually, and I must say I do like the interior with the fake leather seats, quite comfy.
33417 is fitted with a Dennis Trident chassis, something which I like, and it indeed sounded quite good actually, especially the turbo, even a bit of thrash on a kick down!

the 353 is also a new route to me as I've only ever done the X1 to Weston.
33411 was noted on the X1 Bristol at Backwell, and later Marshall Dart 41332 was seen near Yatton on some route or the other, I didn't see it as I was trying to ID the number as it passed, though after all that it is dud for sight.
Unbranded 33415 in the new X1 base colour was noted on the same service and a NC Palatine 2 was seen on the 125, at least one is out!

At Weston, I took a photo of 33417 and 33412 at the parade stop, and also one of 34167 NC Palatine 2 overtaking 33412.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219066286/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219079074/in/photostream

I then headed to the travel shop for a timetable of the area for 20p then I headed to the pier to gander through the timetable to see what I could do.

On the way to the pier I saw some form of classic bus pass the parade, but as it was in the distance on Oxford Street, I couldn't quite tell what it was or what it was doing. When I got to the road, I saw that it was stopped at the pier bus stop, so I walked very quickly before it buggered off but thankfully it was unloading passengers, who were kids with a handful of adults so it might be a chartered school trip.

The bus in question was a Bristol Lodekka in Southern Vectis livery :D. I took a phot then I crossed the road for a close inspection on where it was from. A note in the window read that it was one of Crosville Motor Services. Talking of Crosville, one of their M reg darts soon passed on a 100.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219069346/in/photostream

1010 112 Weston-super-Mare, High Street - Highbridge, Naish Road

Now to break open the timetable. I thought I'd try out the 112 Highbridge service to see if a covered Olympian is out today, and I had 10 mins to make the 1010, but I had to find out where it was going from yet. The map at the back of the book was useful as it suggested to get it from Oxford Street. So I walked via Regent Street to the High Street (all in Weston by the way, imagine walking via those two London places!) and there was the 112 at the High Street stop, must be revised to this stop or something I don't know, but I didn't really care about that as Olympian OLY-50, on a step entrance NC Palatine 2 body, number 34191 (S670 AAE) was on the 112 to Highbridge!

Of course my choice of seat was the lower deck at the back by the engine room. I forgot how comfy these seats are too! I took this to Naish Road just outside of Highbridge to do the other 112 back. As it's every half hour, I saw 2 other other Olympians, 34189 and 170, on the 112 to Weston, how wrong was I about maybe being bowled down here!
Must do a visit to Brean one day too, looks like there's a fair bit you can do here for a day out, especially if you combine it with Weston. Plenty of caravan parks here that's for sure!

1114 112 Highbridge, Naish Road - Weston-super-Mare, High Street

I bailed off 34191 at Naish Road as planned since we were on time, and crossed the road for the return which showed up at 1114 with another Olympian OLY-50 example on a Palatine 2 body, in the form of 34168 (S668 AAE), another beast. It was busy downstairs so I went to the top deck, but by Brean the upper deck was rammed!

The journey back seemed a lot quicker too, somehow, but was an enjoyable ride though I haven't completed the whole 112 yet, I might to that another day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219077712/in/photostream

1226 1 Weston-super-Mare, Regent Street - Sand Bay

Back at the High Street I walked to the sea front to see what was about....christ on a bike! Is that a CityBus Alexander RH? It is indeed the D reg open topper on the route 1 :D!
I headed over to Regent Street while it went via the Rail Station to pick it up there, and in the meantime I saw a load of Marshall Darts on the locals, must do at least one later, spoilt for choice here!

Also, I didn't know Crosville took First Bus idea and runs a 100 service to Sand Bay also using a classic decker in the form of a half-open top F reg Olympian! That left in a cloud of smoke (a nice diesel smell cloud too!) then the Alexander RH on a Volvo B10M chassis turned up, number 38005 (D705 GHY).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219070764/in/photostream

Stupidly I sat at the back wondering why it sounds quiet, of course these are mid engine, duh! Sitting towards the middle was much better, and god the thrash! I remember how hellfire these were as I used to get on the single decker D reg types to school, in Badgerline livery too...oh the days!

I was the only passenger on throughout too, as the 100 was in front taking the passengers, same for the way back. The driver was the same driver who drove the 353 and X1 earlier.
It did get me thinking what routes new drivers are on, as the 1 seems like a bit of a challenge for beginners.

On the way up, I saw L reg 32290 was also on the 1, two good ones out today!

1252 1 Sand Bay - Weston Old Pier

At Sand Bay, I got off for a couple of photos then returned on 38005. I checked by book to see that 38005 is dud for haulage, thought it was though I'm not bothered about ones I have done before, I'm just grateful that one is out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219076398/in/photostream

I returned back to Weston Old Pier stop sitting in the middle for the thrash again, some epic kick down thrash on this too!

1336 1 Weston Old Pier - Sand Bay

I bailed off at the Old Pier stop as its the crossover point, a +0 in the timetable but we were a couple of minutes early so it stopped for time to catch up, and this gave me a chance to cross the road and get the other 1 to Sand Bay, which turned up with open top NC Palatine 2 Volvo Olympian YN2RC 39920 (L650 SEU) which was actually required for haulage too.

It was busy on this one, so I went upstairs...bad move that was as it was bloody cold and the wind was messing my hair!
I got off at Sand Bay for another photo session then re-joined the decker and it was empty downstairs this time, so I sat by the engine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219067952/in/photostream

A decent ride back and even the driver made a couple of attempts to overtake crosvilles M reg dart in front on the 100 but the dart got away on each attempt!
I took 39920 to the Rail Station, then walked over to Regent Street giving me a chance to have a fag in the process.

Time to do a local I think, and just as I arrived, Marshall Dart 41335 arrived on the 5 to Worle, but the driver wasn't letting anyone on yet, there appeared to be a long hissing noise from the front wheel next to the doors. The driver got out, looked at it, tried the kneel buttons to raise it but it was stuck kneeling down.

The next attempt was to pump the brakes, and then floor the accelerator. Flooring it didn't solve it but christ the thrash and the clag :shock:! Was like a Deltic thrashing away on the street!

(as seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219075068/in/photostream)

Some old ladies were standing in horror commenting that they thought the bus was on fire, and one said no I doubt it! I should thought no it's not fire, it's hellfire <D :lol:!

Unfortunately the air bag was stuffed so it was dumped at a replacement was being sorted, but what would the replacement be? Well, the other 5 was due soon, but we'll see what that is if it turns up first.

1426 5 Weston Regent Street - Worle Sainsbury's

I think 41335 was limping to Regent Street, as shortly after, the 1426 turned up (so 41335 was probably the 1356) but the 1426 was ex-London Marshall Dart (still with DML code inside) 41687. Hmm a gamble to wave it off only to find the replacement being something modern. I took the opportunity to scoop in 41687 (W687 ULL) all the way to Worle.
Nice thrash throughout too on a roller coaster ride, storming down the hills and thrashing up hills, we weren't going to uphill though......:lol:

The gear from 3-4 was a bit iffy, as it was jumping up and down for a second before actually changing gear, not to much of an issue though.

1500 3 Worle Sainsbury's - Weston Regent Street

At Worle Sainsbury's, I decided to gamble the route 3 to take me back as that was due in 10 minutes, otherwise it's a bit of a longer wait for something else. I waved off the Marshall dart as I remembered seeing a Marshall on the route 3 earlier, but there was also Solo 53014 on it too.
The 7 showed up first but I wasn't interested as all these were eclipses anyway. a couple of minutes later, 53014 turned up on the 3...drat!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219072450/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67893901@N07/7219073876/in/photostream

I chose ex-Plymouth Optare Solo W814PAF with a M850 engine (Mercedes I think?) to take be back to Weston, plus I've never done the 3 before nor 53014 (seen it a trillion times before)

Schools were kicking out now too, what a good time to be on a Solo....Thankfully though, only about 3 kids got on throughout, I had visions of it being rammed to the rafters!
The Solo didn't sound too bad compared to the Bath lot I've done, though this one is older and might have a different engine to the WX05 ones I forget now.

Quite a trek round on the 3 and we eventually got to Weston Regent Street at 1528. I saw a Marshall Dart on the 14, 41332, another spin up to Worle? I decided against it and head up to Bristol for the evening rush hour.

1550 X1 Weston Marine Parade - Bristol Bus Station

I got another E400 Dennis Trident on the X1 to Bristol, this time on 33418 in new X1 livery, looks rather smart actually I must say!
It wasn't as good as 33417 though for sound, though it might be because I've been on descent sounding buses for most the day!

It was roasting inside too, so I spent half the time nodding off as it got to the point where the warmth drifts you to sleep, though I didn't miss the points where the trident was in full drive down the Dual Carriageway, that was a bit of a beasty sound then. (however, how about a RH Volvo B10M down here <D)

We arrived into Bristol Bus Station at 1700.

1710 354 Bristol Bus Station - Theynes Court

I saw a P reg and N reg dart at the bus station, though I'd prefer to have a bash on the N reg. This was allocated to the 1710 354 to Nailsea. Hmm 10 minutes, need a loo break first so I used the bus station lavatory and the turnstile was broke so 20p was not needed for today, woo!

I then went to the travel shop for the 20p BANES timetable and the greater Bristol travel map. I then boarded 46244 (N244 LHT) but getting the thrash seat at the back wasn't possible as all seats were taken then, so I stuck to the middle seat.
As we left the bus station, I saw an N reg dart at the traffic lights, another steppy was seen in the distance and in front was an M reg dart...gosh there's a lot out today than I thought!

Sitting behind me was someone who sounded exactly (and just about looks like) Michael Portillo, talking rather loudly to his parter about the most prosperous City outside of London (which I had to find out later what it meant as it bugged me to what it means!)

I took this to Long Ashton Theynes Court bus stop for a +14 for another 354 back to Bristol, time for a ciggie move here.

1745 354 Theynes Court - Bristol Bus Station

There was a digital display screen for the Bristol bound stop, which showed the expected times for the next 3 services, though this was reduced to the next 354 to Bristol in due in 4 minutes, then it just collapsed and said it was unable to work out any estimates and that one should refer to the timetable....that worked then...

I made sure I wasn't looking away for too long as the stop was after a corner, and I could picture it racing past. Sure enough near on time, a Plaxton Pointer 1 was seen approaching, and I was treated to a P reg dart for the return, 46264 (p264 PAE). As it was emptier coming back, I got a seat by the engine, lovely sound as usual! Been a while since I last heard it properly, glad to get my fix in!

I tried to plan some moves for the 36, though the big huge fold out map was something else opening it up on the bus, it's like making a cake with boxing gloves on!
I managed to fold it back to it's original state somehow though!
The plan was to do the 90 to near Hengrove, then do the 36 or vice versa, there should be one Dart on the 36, I don't know what I'd have to put up with on the 90 though.

However, on arrival back to the bus station, a change of plan was in order already!

???? 310 - Bristol Bus Station - Zetland Road Junction

Another Plaxton Pointer 1 46234 (N234 KAE) was on the 310 to Thornbury, so I wasn't going to turn away from that whilst it was there, so a swift connection saw me on a near full bus, though it meant going up the trunk route up to Montpelier, and it took quite a while to do the 1 mile to Zetland Road, even two people I saw walking from the centre near the roundabout by the Haymarket, got most the way up the road quicker than us!

1823 75 Montpelier Coulstons - Bristol Bus Station

I doubled back under the rail bridge from the bus stop to Coulstons stop, for the next bus back to the Centre, which was 37614 Wrights Gemini Volvo B9 taking me to The Haymarket, a much quicker trip back though than going out!

There wasn't any steppys in sight around here, so I went to the bus station to see what was lying around there. 46244 arrived and then pulled out of service reversing out to the stabling bays, and that's about it. I wondered about maybe doing one or two in Bath and start heading out to Bath now as time is getting on, and I didn't want to get home too late as I had to be at work in Asda the next day.

1845 X39 Bristol Bus Station - Bath Bus Station

I boarded 66731 on the 1845 back to Bath, not much to note at all whatsoever on this trip as I was getting tired, and being warm didn't help so I slept all the way back to the bus station.

Unfortunately WX05 SLF darts plagued the local services so I may have been too late now, so I went to McDonalds and then called it a day.

2015 265 Bath Bus Station - Trowbridge Town Hall

My last move of the day was Eclipse 66943 on the 2015 to Trowbridge. Some time ago, the late services used to have a habit of being boarding on the departure time and it seems to still happen, as the driver turned up at the back of 2014, set up and loaded passengers on, then a quick fire up, straight into reverse then leaving the bus station 2 minutes late.
I spent the trip back doing some paperwork I needed to do for work which I knew I could get on with at some point today, and this was a good chance to do so!

An overall super day out and I was glad that I went to Weston in the end, but there was so much more I could have done if time allowed! I do plan to do another one very soon covering the ones in Bristol that I couldn't do, and maybe I could get back to Bath in time to catch them there too.
Hopefully the above helps anyone wanting to do any Olympians in the area too, try Weston for the 125 and 112, and of course the 1 on a clear day.

I got a few sound clips too that I may upload to YouTube soon, links will be posted here since I've mentioned it here

Oh and finally, a HUGE thank you to Ivo for his assistance in the First Wales and South West thread, much appreciated :D!

Stats:

Mileage altogether - 170m
Highest Mileage on one bus - 25m 57ch on 33417 and 33418 on the X1
Lowest Mileage on one bus - 1.1m on 37614 from Montpelier to The Haymarket
Best part of trip - The ride on Alexander RH 38005 on the route 1, cannot beat that!
Worst part of trip - Hard to think of one, but the X39 to Bristol was a right old drag and had a numb rear end by the time I got to Bristol!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Maybe you managed to eavesdrop on the Portillo's next project; Great British Bus Journeys, with the aid of a 1932 Bristol Omnibus Company timetable :D

Ivo

Established Member
A good day out (not that I'm much of a Steppy Dart fan :roll:) :)

Just a few thoughts.

• 42905 isn't the only one of the WX05 Darts we've got that is seemingly falling apart. 42898 seems to be the worst. One advantage that 42905 at least has though is that its internal display actually reads properly! :lol: None of this "bla-bla-bla 265 sit2 bla-bla-bla Bath Bus Station" stuff...
• I have never known an Eclipse to run the X1. How the Hell did you pull that off? Unless of course it's part of a different shift; perhaps it runs the 7 later? Or maybe the 352 (I hope not if the Solo I saw is anything to go by:shock:)? By contrast, I have never had a decker of any kind on the X25 (yet to use the 125), or the X14/14 for that matter :(
• Terminal stops have changed in Weston, but I'm not sure when. I think the 112 route has changed completely since I was on it last...
• A fair few local routes in Super Mud - I've only ever done the 7, and the only between Worle and the centre (so no 1 :(). By contrast, the first time I went on the 112 I travelled end-to-end, including the Highbridge station area.
• Most of the time Steppy Darts are out on Bath's local routes they go in at 6 or so. I still think the 36 is best, although it does seem to be gaining the odd Trident here and there!
• Lastly, what did I tell you about the 112? If you want an Olympian, it's your best bet! :D

Oh and finally, a HUGE thank you to Ivo for his assistance in the First Wales and South West thread, much appreciated :D!

You're welcome :p I was tempted to ask to go with you, but I knew that (a) I couldn't guarantee I'd be able to and (b) by the time my pass became valid you'd be long gone!

Maybe you managed to eavesdrop on the Portillo's next project; Great British Bus Journeys, with the aid of a 1932 Bristol Omnibus Company timetable :D

What, the 354 to Nailsea? :lol:

Maybe I should contact Mr Portillo and see if he'd like to join me in August :p

anthony263

Established Member
Crossville are running a few bus services in Weston SUper Mare in fact one I believe runs to Wells.

There is a thread on this forum for it.

As for what you said about that Alexander bodied dart shaking itself to pieces it seems to be a problem with that design since everyone I have had even the mini darts always seem to rattle more than you get on the plaxton or transbus bodied darts.

Glad you enjoyed your little adventure in fact I will have to arrange something later this summer

Schnellzug

Established Member
I saw one of those Crosville Darts in Street about Easter time. I suppose it must have been on a private hire job. I hadn't seen one before*, and i was mildly surprised when I saw the name. I'd have thought First would own it.

*I'd seen a Dart, obviously, but not one of the Crosville ones.

anthony263

Established Member
I think the crossville name would be more likely to be owned by Arriva same with First owning the South Wales Transport name and livery although it appears that may not be the case now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fook me, what a beast of a day by the sounds of it! Wish I'd been able to go!

Ah yes, the 1 to Sandy Bay, I remember me you and Martin did that on our Hellfire Bus Bash some years ago. Canna recall what we had that day now mind all in, but 39920 sounds familiar.

Some good luck there with the steppy Darts, you have no idea how envious I am. Think I'll have to pop into Bristol when I'm on my ALR and go for a bash on one! As for the sound clips, please do share as I would love to hear them :D

As for this thread you mentioned at the end of the trip report, I confess I have no idea where it is :oops: I also got inspired to look through my now old collection of First Cymru buses in action in Swansea, 22nd July 2008, and look what I found:

DSCN1902.jpg

"WHAT A BEAST!" came to mind and a big smile, so many memories...And should anyone be interested, the phots from that day altogether can be found here: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/43019/First Cymru Buses 22nd July 2008/

Ivo

Established Member
Why are you two so obsessed with Steppy Darts? They're bland!

Although I must confess I was tempted to seek some out and bash them this evening <D The only reason I didn't was that an SLF example broke down on me!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
They are so awesome, especially when compared to the more modern SLF Dart! I'll always have a bit of an obsession with steppy Darts as they were got my interest in buses going, so they'll always have a special place in my heart.

EDIT: Ivo, you really ought to get out there and enjoy a steppy Dart bash, you'll only regret not doing them when they've gone!

anthony263

Established Member
I agree with Techniquest, Ivo step entrance darts are beasts and are lovely when you thrash them going up steep hill as some really scream.

Also I am not sure but I think the driver here might have been me:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...d July 2008/?action=view&current=DSCN1875.jpg

Why did first cymru have to withdraw our dual purpose plaxton step entrance darts they were the best buses first cymru had although luckily once is down at the SWT bus museum although it needs a new front end after suffering damage shortly before it arrived into preservation.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Why are you two so obsessed with Steppy Darts? They're bland!

Although I must confess I was tempted to seek some out and bash them this evening <D The only reason I didn't was that an SLF example broke down on me!

No, they're fun. When the accelrator is pressed, they accelerate, they don't just sound like a spindryer and shudder up & down between gears. And they always seem a lot better put together than an SLF.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Indeed, the looks may be bland as Ivo said but I think they look proper British and have been the workhorses for locals.

I'm not much into designs into buses on the bodywork (though I like the the classic pointer 1 body) top priority is sounds for me, that's the only reason I go on classics is for the thrash (though some modern sounds I can put up with too, Volvo B7TL, Dennis Tridents for example)

The older darts sound beast that's why I love them. Sometimes I forget how loud the thrash can be outside. When I got off at Theynes Court, I walked towards the back of the bus to the Zebra crossing, and as I got by the engine it was idling...pretty quiet as usual, then I was right by the engine and WOW! The driver floored it to pull away and blew my head off!
They are like Class 20s, nought to thrash in no time <D :lol:

Sounds coming very soon, shame I didn't record 41335 on full revs at Weston when trying to put some air into the tanks.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention, some lady joined the 3 somewhere with a £20 note, but she had nothing smaller and the driver asked if maybe the passenger by the door had change. In the end the driver asked the passenger, and all the lady bellowed was 'cuse me!' and waved a £20 at the passenger. The driver seemed to have to do the talking, and change for a £20 was arranged, but the lady did not smile at all, took the ticket and buggered off without saying thank you to the passenger OR driver!!

I thought yeah your nice, someone comes to bail you out and you expect it without saying thank you anyway, as if offering change is the law and something you have to do!

anthony263

Established Member
I and many other drivers hate it at the very start of your shift and you get someone wantting to by a day ticket for say £3.50 and only has a £20 or even in one case I know a £50 note.

They then moan and complain and I have thought why didnt you go into the shop and ask them if they could give you change of even perhaps just by something small.

Too this day the step entrance darts are very popular heck I have even been lucky enough to get one which struggled up hills then would really scream when you selected 2nd gear on until then you get some smoke from the engine because someone hasn't put coolant in:oops:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Sounds now up.

E400 Dennis Trident 33417:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2X1KFGcMY&list=UUbhkpaTbWJE3R7k6wAm9r_w&index=3&feature=plcp

Alexander RH Volvo B10M 38005:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cL7TZREXt0&list=UUbhkpaTbWJE3R7k6wAm9r_w&index=2&feature=plcp

Capital Marshall Dennis Dart C39.635:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-27lMvTWU&list=UUbhkpaTbWJE3R7k6wAm9r_w&index=1&feature=plcp

Plaxton Pointer 1 Dennis Dart, unfortunately it wasn't doing a great lot of speed, stopping and starting most of the time. I wish I got by the engine of 46244, as that was better for thrash and speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTmbIozLIs

CC 72100

Established Member
Saw a couple of open top First deckers similar to the ones you've got photos of in Penzance today. One was an ex-Bristol Palatine, L xxx SEU, like the one in your photo.

I've got a couple of models of those in Bristol Cityline livery, when they still had their roof!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also had a D reg Alexander RH as well, D300 xxx

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Saw a couple of open top First deckers similar to the ones you've got photos of in Penzance today. One was an ex-Bristol Palatine, L xxx SEU, like the one in your photo.

I've got a couple of models of those in Bristol Cityline livery, when they still had their roof!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also had a D reg Alexander RH as well, D300 xxx

Like so? http://www.flickr.com/photos/29197902@N06/5877761558/

Is the other RH 38xxx fleet still down in Penzance? I also remember these D reg ones too though never had a model, I still remember going on this to Nailsea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantherev/3059694402/

Also had one on the X25 down the M5 too, if only I could do that again!

CC 72100

Established Member
Like so? http://www.flickr.com/photos/29197902@N06/5877761558/

Is the other RH 38xxx fleet still down in Penzance? I also remember these D reg ones too though never had a model, I still remember going on this to Nailsea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantherev/3059694402/

Also had one on the X25 down the M5 too, if only I could do that again!

Yep, like the pair in the first photo, although different reg numbers. I was literally only at Penzance bus station for 10-15 minutes, so that's all I can give you I'm afraid. Did have a bit of 'now where have I see this before?' moment :p

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just played the Dart sound video first (surprise surprise), fantastic bit of memories came flooding back :D Got the Marshall Dart one on now, more memories. Lots of good times had commuting on both types around Swansea, just wish I'd had the sense to log the journeys properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.