• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Handheld 'S' Car Stop Marker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

At Tonbridge Platform 1, when the Redhill and Strood services are to share the platform, a member of platform staff will signal the arrival from Redhill to stop in the correct position using a handheld 'S' Car Stop marker - the same size and shape as a dispatch bat, but with a white-on-blue 'S', like a car stop marker.

Is this a standard signal, or something peculiar to Tonbridge? I can't recall ever seeing one used elsewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've seen it used elsewhere so its not specific to Tonbridge.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
In the past I’ve seen this done by the platform staff just holding out their arm. Drivers having understood it meaning “stop here”.

ARIC

At Manchester Victoria they hold out their dispatch bat

Undiscovered

Two of the stations I sign and they use hand lamps and hand signals to call trains down
The smaller station has the clip handle to turn the hand lamp into a shunting lamp.

i4n

I've seen that in use at Dover as well.

As I understand it, it is a handheld version of the "S" stopping location board so in the case I saw it in use, they stopped a train coming in from the Folkestone direction earlier than it would normally have stopped (at the 4 carriage marker) so that another train coming from the Canterbury direction could also get into the platform and they then joined them together.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's worth noting that the Driver may completely ignore it and drive past.

Status
Not open for further replies.