• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hanson 56's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Established Member
Too me it seems all abit strange how out of no-where two Hanson 56's have suddenly caught the spot-light by breaking the mold on the classes freight duties and also with the weekends tour.
Also 311 and 312 seem to have had their creases ironed out and are performing to a great standard.
And with the new 313 to come into the ranks all looks well.
Finally the latest news is Hanson have bought 56027 and 56114 so if we should be so lucky the Hanson lot will be up to five and overall there will be 8 class 56's for your viewing pleasure.........

Generally just wanted to discuss a few things mainly.........

What is the fate of 56027 and 56114?
Also when will 56313 be ready for traffic?
Finally will any other companies follow suit?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Rail_WAy

56313 was undergoing an overhaul at the Nene Valley Railway, Cambridgehire.

As far the other two I'm not too sure.

Last edited:

The_Rail_WAy

Sorry, iveamended it now.

Next i'l be telling yu that the East Lancashire Railway is in Yorkshire, and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is in Essex!!

P156KWJ

Established Member
56312 certainly didn't seem to have any issues on Monday, well done to Hanson :) The big question is though, can Hanson provide a reliable service in an industry awash with more modern and much more reliable locomotives such as 59s (yes I know Hanson have a few anyway), 60s, 66s and the like.

richa2002

Established Member
I think there are two separate Hansons, the one with the 59s and the one with the 56s...

P156KWJ

Established Member
well that's what I thought - are the 56s owned by Hanson the construction company like the 59s are, or are they just a seperate pool or a completely different company?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
according to Wikipedia:
Formerly preserved 56057 (renumbered 56311) and 56003 (renumbered 56312) are now operated by Hanson Traction Ltd, the speculative spot hire business of IT entrepreneur Garcia Hanson

Oddly, It also says:
It remains to be seen whether Hanson Traction Ltd will be able to offer reliable and competitive locomotives in a market awash with significantly more modern and reliable traction.

Phoenix

Established Member
So back to the point does anyone know when the new loco's will be entering service and if so which ones????

mbonwick

Established Member
For goodness sake.

They put a load of 37s back into store now that the RHTT season is over, so what do they need 56s for? They don't really haul any heavy trains.

Established Member
Generally just wanted to discuss a few things mainly.........

What is the fate of 56027 and 56114?
Also when will 56313 be ready for traffic?
Finally will any other companies follow suit?
a and b) presume "when they are ready"
c) Spot hire is hardly a new thing, just someone has gone for 56s rather than 31s, 47s, whatever.

class 313

Established Member
c) Spot hire is hardly a new thing, just someone has gone for 56s rather than 31s, 47s, whatever.

Saying that, the use of 31s on spot higher has pretty much died recently.

Phoenix

Established Member

The first answer didn't answer what is going to be the fate of the machines as the possibilities are for actual use or just for spares.
Spot hire isn't new but for the class 56 this is quite a development.
Also I am pretty sure type 5's haven't been on spot hire before so to say and as we have seen it has proved reliable and popular.

The first answer didn't answer what is going to be the fate of the machines as the possibilities are for actual use or just for spares.
Spot hire isn't new but for the class 56 this is quite a development.
Also I am pretty sure type 5's haven't been on spot hire before so to say and as we have seen it has proved reliable and popular.
Here's a novel idea...

JUST WAIT AND SEE!

<(

Phoenix

Established Member
Here's a novel idea...

JUST WAIT AND SEE!

<(

Is that actually supposed to mean "Why you asking this forum all we seem to know about is ticket prices and route knowledge".
Ill try wnxx that might actually work.

Is that actually supposed to mean "Why you asking this forum all we seem to know about is ticket prices and route knowledge".
No, its a "wait and see what happens!"

What is it with people who seem to need to know absolutely everything in advance and feel they can't wait and see what happens?

I have my own theories about what will happen having seen the condition of the two locos in question first hand and from speaking to a couple of people, but that just it, my theories. I suspect that even the people involved with the locos won't know exactly until they arrive at Wansford and can be looked over with a fine tooth comb.

Phoenix

Established Member

What is it with people who seem to need to know absolutely everything in advance and feel they can't wait and see what happens?

I have my own theories about what will happen having seen the condition of the two locos in question first hand and from speaking to a couple of people, but that just it, my theories. I suspect that even the people involved with the locos won't know exactly until they arrive at Wansford and can be looked over with a fine tooth comb.

Well if you had theories then let us know give us something to talk about the whole point is to have friendly discussion about these things.
And by the way I don't need to know everything in advance it's just nice to know stuff.

What is it with people people always having a pop when you have an opinion or a question to ask???

jacknottm

6Z56 and 6Z57 are to start running again next week for approximately two weeks. Thats the Immingham steel run for those that aren't too familiar with headcodes

FusionRail

Basically,

311/312: Running, but run in a pair with a HT fitter just in case something goes wrong. (Quite likely)

313: In bits, roof off, engine apart etc, wont be finished for a while

314/315: not arrived yet, could be in any condition and as pointed out above you don't know what's wrong until you check it over in depth. Even then you'll miss problems. Same was with 313 it was known how bad the engine was until it was looked at.

You don't know how long it can take! 313 could have taken 6 months, but it could take 10. Depends what faults you find, whether you can fix/afford to fix a problem, sourcing parts can also be a problem. Plus with only 3 currently people working on it, time is an issue.

314/5 could be alright, or they my be completely ****ed, so youll find out when they are fixed as they will be seen on the mainline. Maybe you wont see them for a while if the NVR mybe dont want HT on site anymore, as then there would be nowhere nearby suitable.

Hanson Traction also may not want people to know what is going on, as maybe noses should be kept clear.

Remember these are not pres. machines, and are being overhauled for mainline use by a serious company.

There is a difference between Hansons. Hanson Cement/Stone etc run 59s. Hanson Traction own 50s and 56s.

So there you go, you probably wont find much more else out about them, as HT are quite secretive, and you'll almost definatley be hearing wrong information elsewhere, such as WNXX.

So just leave them alone.

P156KWJ

Established Member

Hanson will soon be running tripple headed 56s on many freight workings, and are also investing in retired paxman valenta engines to replace the brush engines in some more 56s, to see what happens. These will be designated as class 56/9s. They will be painted in bright pink and will have the words froth, veg and ned written down the side in bold red letters. There will also be a Cross Country logo on the front, as XC are intending on using them on the Aberdeen-Penzance services (quadruple headed obviously) to drag voyagers, and are installing droplights in voyagers' doors to up their passenger numbers as bashers flock to their services to hear grid thrash. This is expected to happen by February.

:roll:;)

class 313

Established Member

This is the age of widely accessible gen!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hanson will soon be running tripple headed 56s on many freight workings, and are also investing in retired paxman valenta engines to replace the brush engines in some more 56s, to see what happens. These will be designated as class 56/9s. They will be painted in bright pink and will have the words froth, veg and ned written down the side in bold red letters. There will also be a Cross Country logo on the front, as XC are intending on using them on the Aberdeen-Penzance services (quadruple headed obviously) to drag voyagers, and are installing droplights in voyagers' doors to up their passenger numbers as bashers flock to their services to hear grid thrash. This is expected to happen by February.

:roll:;)

Sounds like a WNXX post to me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.