• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Haparanda-Tornio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rf_ioliver

Well... it’s a brand new loco which IMO should be put on the big IC lines, hell, you don’t even see them in places like Kuopio! I think that if the line were to be electrified it should be Sr1s, maybe with a config such as Sr1+Ex+Ex+Rx+Expt, like the sets which run the ”IC” services between Oulu and Rovaniemi. Yeah it’s a short enough route to not need a restaurant car but it’s either that or an Edfs since Rx’s also have a conductor’s compartment.
Sr3's are currently on Rantarata and Päärata (at least to Oulu); I guess they can stretch their legs better there than Savonrata which doesn't have any 200kmh sections after Kouvola. So yes, I agree Sr3 is a bit of overkill but I was more refering to their diesel capabilities - though I'm not sure if they can also power passenger wagons at the same time. So, I agree it'll be Sr1's (while they are still in service) and run as a regional train to Oulu.

BTW, Vihreät (Green Party) have been suggesting restarting this route with electrification of the 24km between the border and Kemi being priced at 24m eur.

@jamesontheroad -- nice pictures. Tack!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Some photos of today’s trip Luleå-Haparanda. Big festivities at Kalix, where not only a new train service but also an entirely new station opened today. Haparanda station has been beautifully restored and is ready and waiting for cross-border trains to meet either side of the waiting room.

The entire threaded tweet of my trip starts yesterday here: https://twitter.com/jbenedictbrown/status/1377246061098590211?s=21
Haparanda doesn’t seem to have changed much since I first used it in 1987, although I don’t think it had a cafe then (or, if it did, it was closed on a Saturday). There wasn’t much to do, although I did get a chance to walk through the ‘Art Train’ that was in the yard that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.