• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hardest station to depart from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy1571

If we are recalling the past then a mention for the now closed Folkestone Harbour station.

Trains starting from there had over a mile at 1 in 37 before stopping at Folkestone East (formerly Junction) to reverse. If the sea was rough or low sea mist then it was greasy rails to contend with. In the days of steam it must have been interesting even with banking locos.
It was certainly entertaining watching loco-hauled departures, especially the VSOE.

I think the most difficult ascent I recall was when a pair of the Gatwick pool 73/2s were allocated with, for whatever reason, both on diesel power. The pace was so stately I walked up the Tram Road at the same speed as the train!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Cravens full stop really. I presume a lot of power/trailer combinations would struggle due to power/weight ratio, even more prevalent with heavyweights like 114s.
Only Cravens units were allowed down there. Because of the tight curves long-frame units like the 114s (and, more relevantly, Finsbury Park's class 125s (the ex-Lea Valley hydraulic units), were not allowed, which is why low density units had to be brought in (transferred from the Midland & Great Northern route after that closed). The loco-hauled trains (usually class 31s) were short-framed non-gangwayed stock - the only non-gangwayed Mark1 loco-hauled stock to be built, and the last non-gangwayed loco-hauled stock to run on BR, other than the Vale of Rheidol carriages.

Timpg

Can’t think of any on the Anglia network that are majorly difficult to depart from. But for me needham market has to be the worst to stop at in the ‘up’ direction.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It was certainly entertaining watching loco-hauled departures, especially the VSOE.

I think the most difficult ascent I recall was when a pair of the Gatwick pool 73/2s were allocated with, for whatever reason, both on diesel power. The pace was so stately I walked up the Tram Road at the same speed as the train!
During the last few years of operation, the third rail wasn't energised on the Folkestone Harbour branch

RT4038

Established Member
Only Cravens units were allowed down there. Because of the tight curves long-frame units like the 114s (and, more relevantly, Finsbury Park's class 125s (the ex-Lea Valley hydraulic units), were not allowed, which is why low density units had to be brought in (transferred from the Midland & Great Northern route after that closed). The loco-hauled trains (usually class 31s) were short-framed non-gangwayed stock - the only non-gangwayed Mark1 loco-hauled stock to be built, and the last non-gangwayed loco-hauled stock to run on BR, other than the Vale of Rheidol carriages.
Not sure that is quite right. The Cravens units were indeed intended for the M&GN (closed in 1959), but I don't think they ever operated there, going direct to the King's Cross suburban services. long before the 'Lea Valley' units arrived (displaced by electrification in 1969) or the units which became surplus following the closure of the East Lincolnshire lines in 1971.

IIRC, the Cravens units covered the 'all day' workings, and loco hauled trains of non corridor suburban coaches covered the peak hour extras including the Moorgate and Broad Street trains. Not saying that Cravens units didn't go to Moorgate initially, just not often. I think the arrival of the ex Lea Valley units allowed loco hauled trains to Broad Street to be converted to DMU, followed by the Moorgate trains with East Lincs. batch. Presumably the Moorgate trains had to be worked by specific Cravens unit diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.