• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has anyone transfered their Armed forces pension to the Railway Pension Scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthDiver

Hello,

I've been a driver with Northern for 3 years now and previously did 5 years in the Army as a squaddie.

Wondering if this is worth doing and what the pro ands cons are. 5 years as a squaddie is obviously a small amount so wondering if it is worth it?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

You need to speak to a financial advisor as everyone's circumstances are different.

LCC106

Established Member
Not an army pension but I tried to transfer a personal and professional pension in and it wasn’t allowed. Might be worth contacting the Railway Pension Scheme itself for advice.

tallpaul82

I tried to move a Police pension and they said it couldn’t be done either. Maybe make an enquiry and go from there.

anglian96

I tried to do my army one and they said I couldn't do it. If you find a way of doing it please let me know

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
RPS (Railways Pension Scheme) will normally not allow anyone to transfer in, because it generally has better benefits than external providers so isn’t worth their while.

whoosh

Established Member
Depends on what part of the scheme you are in (so which TOC you work for), as each section has different rules regarding transfers in.

ninhog

I applied to the RPS board to transfer in a previous pension but they declined the application.

Efini92

Established Member
Hello,

I've been a driver with Northern for 3 years now and previously did 5 years in the Army as a squaddie.

Wondering if this is worth doing and what the pro ands cons are. 5 years as a squaddie is obviously a small amount so wondering if it is worth it?

Thanks
You’re best off seeking financial advice. It’s not always worth transferring it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.