• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has this forum improved the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Some of us on here have inadvertently caused loophole tickets and routing validities to be removed but let's try to catalogue success that members of this forum and the forum as a whole have made upon the rail sector, if at all.

I know there have been several successful fundraisers for heritage railways on here.
Also Peter Mugridge, I believe, rode on all the sleeper routes consecutively for charity too which is quite possibly a first.

I can't recall many consumer rights success but I know Yorkie is keen on getting some trial cases set up with intriguing tickets.

Over to you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Termy

We've helped a hell of a lot of people get the jobs they want on the network, through the Careers section.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Some of us on here have inadvertently caused loophole tickets and routing validities to be removed but let's try to catalogue success that members of this forum and the forum as a whole have made upon the rail sector, if at all.

I know there have been several successful fundraisers for heritage railways on here.
Also Peter Mugridge, I believe, rode on all the sleeper routes consecutively for charity too which is quite possibly a first.

I can't recall many consumer rights success but I know Yorkie is keen on getting some trial cases set up with intriguing tickets.

Over to you.

Has this forum improved the railway?

Generally - no.

For some individuals - perhaps. Although if someone got a job they got it on merit not becuase of this site

WestRiding

No, it hasnt. I doubt the government and TOC/FOCs come looking on here for ideas.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It’d be pretty legit good way for the Department for Transport to source feedback though!

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm not going to answer the question directly because I honestly cannot say whether this forum has contributed to improvements on the railway or not. However this forum has the forum has the potential to, should enough people so wish. Speaking through experience and as a member of a local group set up to liaise with our station's operator, it is possible through reasonable dialogue to help make positive changes. In our case they are small, but meaningful changes such as improved shelters, additional CCTV and so on. And that's just a handful of locals taking an interest and willing to discuss matters face to face with operator managers from time to time. And I know other places similar liaison groups have cropped up and helped effect small, but welcome changes.

So the potential of a forum based engagement group is huge, especially as many members are very regular users or even staff of the railways, I have noted this potential in other threads previously. Of course any such organised group needs to set out realistic aims, and be prepared not only to engage in dialogue but to do so in a professional manner. Companies will engage with customer groups, many even welcome the input despite what people may think. However they cannot become social media like scrums with a constant stream of moaning without any constructive criticism, or indeed ideas. So its a fine balance to strike, they absolutely should be communication channels allowing passengers to express their concerns, as well as their ideas and wishes. But they cannot become social media like scrums for people with axes to grind.

cuccir

Established Member
The Disputes page certainly helps a dozen or so people a year who are incorrectly accused of fare evasion. It gets a lot more who are guilty - and in the majority of cases our assistance helps ensure an out of court settlement, which is generally preferable for both the TOC (they get more cash), the passenger, and the court system.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If Chris Grayling joined this forum.
There is absolutely no evidence that he has either listened or learned in his different roles in government, so why should he start now? The only reason he is retained is (a) to make May not the stupidest person in government :lol: and (b) he knows the things that he and May agreed while Justice Minister and Home Secretary respectively that they've managed to keep under wraps thus far. Windrush Marks 2 and 3.

I think if Chris Grayling was ever to join then membership of the forum would massively increase with lots of us angry commuters using it to try and contact him and knock some sense in to him. I do think it would be good if railway managers joined the forum. It would probably teach them a lot about the reality of their railways.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Should it not be what the forum has done for railways but what railways have done for the forum.

Bevan Price

Established Member
It’d be pretty legit good way for the Department for Transport to source feedback though!

Why would they care about feedback ? They already know that they are a wonderful organisation and are totally right about everything they decide.....

(just as I was the first person on Mars ........................................................... (or not))

Harbornite

Established Member
Not really, no. Some decent fundraising but nothing groundbreaking, it is mainly wibble and uninformed commentary from armchair experts after all.

Established Member
..........it is mainly wibble and uninformed commentary from armchair experts after all.

Which is what makes it kinda funny or entertaining for the professional railway folk on here. Some of the discussions are interesting, but at the end of the day it's social media for rail enthusiasts, which is a scary combination ;)

On Moderation
Which is what makes it kinda funny or entertaining for the professional railway folk on here. Some of the discussions are interesting, but at the end of the day it's social media for rail enthusiasts, which is a scary combination ;)
Some of the stuff posted by those working on the railway is funny too. Messrooms are wonderful breeding grounds for rumours and nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.