• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hatefull enthusiasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Established Member
Over the last year I have come to know many great kind people through the railways and the people from this forum I have met or spoke to more frequently are defiantly a good bunch.
And generally this makes me feel that deciding to get back into the railway scene was the best thing I could have done.

But......
Well as of late things have started to become sour and I am noticing that there are people out there in the railway enthusiast world who really don't care about others and try their hardest to spoil it for everyone.
Like yesterday I spent the evening dealing with some sending abusive messages to my fotopic site.
Also there are individuals on various forums who feel that treating people badly with no regards to the individuals actual feelings.
And I also find myself vicitim to this and I see nearly everyone at some point become victim to something like this.

I don't want to sound like some sort of helpless wimp but honestly someone has to point this out.

But the point to this thread is if you feel the same way about some of the issues in this thread please add your opinions even if they go against what I have said I just want to generally get everyone's feelings on the matter.

All the best.
Scott Turner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Over the last year I have come to know many great kind people through the railways and the people from this forum I have met or spoke to more frequently are defiantly a good bunch.
And generally this makes me feel that deciding to get back into the railway scene was the best thing I could have done.

But......
Well as of late things have started to become sour and I am noticing that there are people out there in the railway enthusiast world who really don't care about others and try their hardest to spoil it for everyone.
Like yesterday I spent the evening dealing with some sending abusive messages to my fotopic site.
Also there are individuals on various forums who feel that treating people badly with no regards to the individuals actual feelings.
And I also find myself vicitim to this and I see nearly everyone at some point become victim to something like this.

I don't want to sound like some sort of helpless wimp but honestly someone has to point this out.

But the point to this thread is if you feel the same way about some of the issues in this thread please add your opinions even if they go against what I have said I just want to generally get everyone's feelings on the matter.

All the best.
Scott Turner.

You only become a victim if you leave yourself open to being a victim. Besides, why do you care so much about some moron who is spamming your site? Personally I am far too busy to worry about people who I don't even know having a problem with me. I've only had one instance of abuse on my site, and that was by someone who had the hump with me because I was intentionally and blatantly ripping gen off their private gen group they thought they had banned me from. Try adopting an "I don't care" attitude and spend your time getting on with the stuff that really matters.

curly42

It's a shame but I'm afraid there are idiots in all walks of life,not just people who are a pain in the axxe,but individuals who take great pleasure in upsetting as many people as they can.They're bullies,whether physical or cyber,simply bullies,and best ignored as they are calling out for attention.
I wouldn't take any of it too seriously - leave them alone and they'll go home,or,sadly,will go and bother someone else.

Phoenix

Established Member
I would like to clarify that It doesn't bother me and I do not feel like a victim in any way all I am concerned about is why people are such prats.
But Indeed I do like your approach RJ of forgetting about them and concentrate on what matters.

Flyboy

I would like to clarify that It doesn't bother me and I do not feel like a victim in any way all I am concerned about is why people are such prats.

Scott - it obviously bothers you sufficiently enough to make mention of it on here. There's not a whole lot you can do with such people, and as RJ validly points out, the more one 'projects' ones self into the public domain the more abuse one gets in return. I appreciate it's difficult to ignore.

Phoenix

Established Member
Scott - it obviously bothers you sufficiently enough to make mention of it on here. There's not a whole lot you can do with such people, and as RJ validly points out, the more one 'projects' ones self into the public domain the more abuse one gets in return. I appreciate it's difficult to ignore.

Yeah I am bothered but not by the incident the other day just the problem in general really.
But honestly it just good to see everyone take on the subject I guess because im still quite new to all this I haven't really learnt to just brush the dirt off my shoulder and carry on.
Cheers though guys.

LilLoaf

Yeah I am bothered but not by the incident the other day just the problem in general really.
But honestly it just good to see everyone take on the subject I guess because im still quite new to all this I haven't really learnt to just brush the dirt off my shoulder and carry on.
Cheers though guys.

Wish you would make your mind up, are you bothered or not ?

Have to say i don't like the way some of the dare i say it "older gen" of train spotters stare at me as i walk up the platform becasuse i'm wearing a hood and tracky bottoms. They have that look as if to say he's going to go on the track, or he's going to pull spray can out and start spraying (and as that would jazz up some stations like Birmingham New Street thats not what i'm going to do). When they see me pull a camera out of my pocket and take photo's there are ok with me, people do say 1st impressions dont count for anything.

With reguards to trains spotters being "prats" you only have to look at how people went on on that West Coast charter where the police were pulling them off the train for being drunk and abusive. Sort of suggests that spotters are being more like football fans and its something i fear, not for getting attacked, or robbed etc, just for the reputation of our hobby.

However it could be the "powers to be fault" intoducing silly new rules like signing in at stations, BTP and security services saying not to take pictures that get people annoyed. I'm a very calm person 99% of the time, but when i get told by BTP or sercurity services not to take photo's i do start a huge arguement just not with violence obvously.

Richmond

What level of abuse did you recieve? if it is about your pictures then brush it off and then carry on regardless, if it is personal then just delete it. I have always found that leaving messages like "This picture is crap" on as someone will always add a second comment.
Wouldn't personally worry about it, this community is full of different people, you only have to look around some platforms to understand that it can be a magnet for the mentally challenged.

LilLoaf

90019 - Why you hightlighted my responce mate ? Just wondering as you just appeared to highlight for no reason at all.

mumrar

Established Member
You only become a victim if you leave yourself open to being a victim.

Try telling that to anyone who has been the victim of a mugging, assault, car crime, sexual assaults and all manner of other things that go on. The notion that you can only be a victim because of your own fault is a falsehood that leads to much suffering where people feel no self-worth to escape the abuse because of this exact mindset being induced, quite commonly in domestic abuse for example.

Established Member
90019 - Why you hightlighted my responce mate ? Just wondering as you just appeared to highlight for no reason at all.

Pointing out the irony of your statement.

You say you're woried about the reputation of enthusiasts, yet will start a massive argument with someone if they tell you to stop.

RJ

Established Member
Try telling that to anyone who has been the victim of a mugging, assault, car crime, sexual assaults and all manner of other things that go on. The notion that you can only be a victim because of your own fault is a falsehood that leads to much suffering where people feel no self-worth to escape the abuse because of this exact mindset being induced, quite commonly in domestic abuse for example.

You're taking it out of context. Perpetrators exploit victim's weaknessess, but that doesn't mean that a potential victim can't take steps towards minimising their risk of being attacked. Similarly, if people want to believe that being a victim is their fault, that is their business. Sometimes bad situations can be easily avoided.

Phoenix

Established Member
Wish you would make your mind up, are you bothered or not ?

Have to say i don't like the way some of the dare i say it "older gen" of train spotters stare at me as i walk up the platform becasuse i'm wearing a hood and tracky bottoms. They have that look as if to say he's going to go on the track, or he's going to pull spray can out and start spraying (and as that would jazz up some stations like Birmingham New Street thats not what i'm going to do). When they see me pull a camera out of my pocket and take photo's there are ok with me, people do say 1st impressions dont count for anything.

With reguards to trains spotters being "prats" you only have to look at how people went on on that West Coast charter where the police were pulling them off the train for being drunk and abusive. Sort of suggests that spotters are being more like football fans and its something i fear, not for getting attacked, or robbed etc, just for the reputation of our hobby.

However it could be the "powers to be fault" intoducing silly new rules like signing in at stations, BTP and security services saying not to take pictures that get people annoyed. I'm a very calm person 99% of the time, but when i get told by BTP or sercurity services not to take photo's i do start a huge arguement just not with violence obvously.

Well to confirm im not bothered really by what happened on fotopic but I am concerned about the way some enthusiasts treat each other.

thefab444

Established Member
I agree with RJ to some extent, but would like to add that some people seem impossible, whatever track you take with them. I'm thinking someone whose name begins with F and ends in D.

A lot of it also comes from snobbery of some kind as well.

RJ

Established Member
I agree with RJ to some extent, but would like to add that some people seem impossible, whatever track you take with them. I'm thinking someone whose name begins with F and ends in D.

A lot of it also comes from snobbery of some kind as well.

There will be undesirable characters in every walk of life, and not everyone will agree with you or want to see things from your perspective. Unless they're someone who's close to you, it's best just to shrug 'em off. After all, who are they in the grand scheme of things?

ladysue

Well to confirm im not bothered really by what happened on fotopic but I am concerned about the way some enthusiasts treat each other.

Dont take it to heart. There are strange people in all hobbies and I'm afraid rail enthusiasts are not an exception. Equally there are some very kind supportive people. You get to recognise those with a problem.Enjoy your hobby. Your photos are good.

Phoenix

Established Member
Dont take it to heart. There are strange people in all hobbies and I'm afraid rail enthusiasts are not an exception. Equally there are some very kind supportive people. You get to recognise those with a problem.Enjoy your hobby. Your photos are good.

Thank you obviously your one of the nice ones out there.
I think my honest problem I would like to see the best in everyone so everytime i see this rubbish behaviour it's more dissapointing than anythin else.
And let's be honest I only started getting into trains again a year ago.

whoshotjimmi

Wherever you end up in life there is going to be someone who is passionate enough about their opinion to take it too far.

A bit like Greenpeace. Most people have an opinion, but this group is prepared to take theirs' to the extent of violence and extremism to promote their views.

The thing is, it is hard to remain completely outside the influence of such people. So, ask yourself this; are you able to accept they have an opinion, as ridiculously overblown as it may be? Or do you feel strongly enough that you must react? And, if you do react, will it acheive what you want?

martyn29

The nice people and friends that I have met since I really started getting into railways have far outweighed the unfriendly ones.

valentaman

i have found most enthusiasts to be nice and have a laugh with then you get the sour ones who will brag im off to the ale house and generally they see you once and spread saying **** is such a pillock etc suprisingly i could name and shame the 6 who are causing all this trouble and making me seem the fool when im not alone and others dont like the same six! funny old world we live in ahwell like they say dont post gen well if i dont i cant help those that want help! kind of contradicts what they need!

enjoy your hobby i do and always will and always have done

Status
Not open for further replies.