• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Havana, Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Has anyone been? I see from Wikipedia that there is a rail network, and I just so happen to have 5 days there in November, and two free ones out of them. If anyone has been what is the station area like, and is filming / photography allowed of Cuban railways?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gerrykandler

Hi Stuart, I had a tour around Cuba last year and it was fantastic. There is a Railway Museum in Havana and its not the one in the guide books. It is a former terminus station just about a mile away from the current terminal. It is well worth going to but get a taxi to take you there and make sure the taxi comes back for you! Our guides were somewhat worried about the area the museum is in. The cost of entry was negligible (but give a small tip - tips go a long way in Cuba).
The terminus in Cuba is quite an impressive building and while I was there they were putting a lot of steam locomotives on display in the square outside (stuffed and mounted) but the rail approach is remarkable; on a viaduct high above the freight tracks below (in use).
The celebrity train is the one to Santiago which takes something like twelve hours. I didn't get the chance to go on that or to take the Hershey line on the other side of Havana. I did see working steam at Trinidad on the southern coast of Havana.
The most amazing find though, was the ungated level crossing across six lanes of motorway just outside Santa Clara. Santa Clara also has a railway monument showing were Che Guevara derailed a troop train - a pivotal moment in the Revolution.
Don't forget to enjoy the music and the drinks!!
Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.