• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have 'Via Barnham' routed tickets removed from sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sftfan1909

Hi all,
I have noticed that I cannot get the 'via Barnham' routed fares between Kent and places such as Southampton that were previously available to show up on any ticket selling website.
For example, this fare is listed on BRFares https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=DVP&dest=SOU&rte=947&tkt=SVR
However, searching for this using GWR's site doesn't list it as an option https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/5033/5932/2021-07-24/D08:00/2021-07-24/D16:00/1/0/0/1/1/N/N/N
I am wondering if there's something I am missing or if the fares have been taken off sale?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joshua_Harman

Hi all,
I have noticed that I cannot get the 'via Barnham' routed fares between Kent and places such as Southampton that were previously available to show up on any ticket selling website.
For example, this fare is listed on BRFares https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=DVP&dest=SOU&rte=947&tkt=SVR
However, searching for this using GWR's site doesn't list it as an option https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/5033/5932/2021-07-24/D08:00/2021-07-24/D16:00/1/0/0/1/1/N/N/N
I am wondering if there's something I am missing or if the fares have been taken off sale?
Something to do with the many works going on on the line perhaps?

TrainTube

Must be a website thing, on a tvm it showed as £31 for an anytime day return for adults

JonathanH

Veteran Member
These fares definitely still showing using the 'Mixing Deck' interface, by using the 'show slower routes' functionality.
https://tickets.gwr.com/gw/en/journeyplanning/mixingdeck

The problem with the OP's original search just putting Barnham as a 'via' point is that the quickest route the journey planner has found between Dover and Barnham is via St Pancras and that route is barred for 'via Barnham' fares.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I can get them to come out by putting Ham Street, Brighton and Leigh as via points?

JB_B

Established Member
GWR is successfully finding these fares for most dates but not for this weekend 24-25, nor the next couple of Saturdays. It then it fails again for Sat 14 - Sun 22 August inclusive.

That pattern looks like it could be engineering works making the journey too long (or diverted off route) for GWR's - planner.

(Update: I see that the there is a blockade scheduled in the Horsham area for 14-22 August inclusive - could that be a clue?)

TrainTube

In journey planner mode?
It was an swr tvm, just did ticket from other stations, Southampton to Margate and 2 options came up, via swml or via barnham and the latter was £31 for an anytime adult

These fares definitely still showing using the 'Mixing Deck' interface, by using the 'show slower routes' functionality.
https://tickets.gwr.com/gw/en/journeyplanning/mixingdeck

The problem with the OP's original search just putting Barnham as a 'via' point is that the quickest route the journey planner has found between Dover and Barnham is via St Pancras and that route is barred for 'via Barnham' fares.
I thought once you pass barnham you can go whichever route to Margate via horsham whether that's from Charing cross or Victoria or st pancras

Nunners

It was an swr tvm, just did ticket from other stations, Southampton to Margate and 2 options came up, via swml or via barnham and the latter was £31 for an anytime adult

I thought once you pass barnham you can go whichever route to Margate via horsham whether that's from Charing cross or Victoria or st pancras
There are electronic route restrictions which prevent travel via London. These are non-binding but it does prevent journey planners showing journeys via London.
It's also not valid cross-london so using it on HS1 is questionable at best and very likely wouldn't get past the barrier staff

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
There are electronic route restrictions which prevent travel via London. These are non-binding but it does prevent journey planners showing journeys via London.
It's also not valid cross-london so using it on HS1 is questionable at best and very likely wouldn't get past the barrier staff
Just a minor pedantic point but if the Routeing Guide says it's valid cross-London (I haven't checked) then it is. Maybe you meant to say that it won't operate London Underground barriers?

TrainTube

Surely it would be valid if you were to get thameslink from east Croydon and change at st pancras as that is definitely one of the quicker options and possibly most popular

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Surely it would be valid if you were to get thameslink from east Croydon and change at st pancras as that is definitely one of the quicker options and possibly most popular
How are you measuring popularity? It doesn't really occur to me that a fare priced by Southern which would appear to be intended for travel along the coast via Hastings and Brighton should be valid via St Pancras.

I'm a bit surprised that the restriction of validity to exclude routes via London is managed by unpublished electronic means and not a published negative easement.

JB_B

Established Member

There's nothing in the public-facing routeing guide to tell passengers that they can't go via London using "via Barnham" tickets. The yellow pages list mapped routes via LONDON for journeys from Dover Priory to Southampton (for example) and the human readable route description simply says "VIA BARNHAM" - it doesn't tell you that it isn't meant to be valid via London. The absence of a cross-London '+' doesn't necessarily preclude travel via London.

On the other hand, the electronic data for route 00947 (via Barnham) has LONDON_MARKER=0 (ie the route excludes London). It also excludes travel via: Bromley South,Dartford,Ebbsfleet International Domestic, Orpington,Stratford International.

That means a journey planner should never show journeys via London for these tickets (incl via HS1.)

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
It appears to already be well known so I wouldn't worry about it being 'given away' on here.

Yes, it's been this way for years and has been discussed many times in the public forums.

Nunners

Just a minor pedantic point but if the Routeing Guide says it's valid cross-London (I haven't checked) then it is. Maybe you meant to say that it won't operate London Underground barriers?
Yes, that is what I meant, sorry. I was also under the impression that it wouldn't be valid on Thameslink as Farringdon isn't part of London Group

sftfan1909

On the other hand, the electronic data for route 00947 (via Barnham) has LONDON_MARKER=0 (ie the route excludes London). It also excludes travel via: Bromley South,Dartford,Ebbsfleet International Domestic, Orpington,Stratford International.
This is interesting because I have used one of these tickets in the barriers at London Victoria previously and they opened - do they not catch this?

JB_B

Established Member
This is interesting because I have used one of these tickets in the barriers at London Victoria previously and they opened - do they not catch this?

In general, barrier coding is quite hit-and-miss so it's not a total surprise but I wouldn't have expected that to work.

Nunners

They also open Waterloo and Waterloo East.
They only work in the Southern side of Victoria

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Seeing as the original question has been answered and established the fares have not been removed, can we please get this thread locked? A lot of extra information is being posted that should be kept silent!

Some of us depend on these fares and do you not want to face any confrontation when using them in the future. Obey what the journey planner and electronic routing data says, or don’t. It’s up to you. Although the last thing we need is for further restrictions to be added to these fares. Just travel via Barnham in some way or another. Sometimes it’s better to let sleeping dogs lie…

TrainTube

Seeing as the original question has been answered and established the fares have not been removed, can we please get this thread locked? A lot of extra information is being posted that should be kept silent!

Some of us depend on these fares and do you not want to face any confrontation when using them in the future. Obey what the journey planner and electronic routing data says, or don’t. It’s up to you. Although the last thing we need is for further restrictions to be added to these fares. Just travel via Barnham in some way or another. Sometimes it’s better to let sleeping dogs lie…
We are having a very valid discussion and would prefer if drama wasn't caused, anyway I'm curious as to know why would Waterloo east be valid on this ticket, is this via changing at Clapham junction?

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Might I suggest it's best not to get too attached to fares such as these. For better or worse, GBR is coming.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Might I suggest it's best not to get too attached to fares such as these. For better or worse, GBR is coming.
If anything, I see PAYG as the greater threat to these south coast fares, and in particular, the opportunity for breaking journeys and stopping short, even on the actual line of south coast route, quite aside from people using them to travel into London.

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
I've seen a journey on NRE allowing Barnham - HS1 - Kent and checking prices via Tonbridge/Dartford/Godstone gives the same price as the normal fare so I'm very satisfied I could stroll into St Pancras and say let me in etc...

We shall see how this actually goes down next Monday.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
We are having a very valid discussion and would prefer if drama wasn't caused, anyway I'm curious as to know why would Waterloo east be valid on this ticket, is this via changing at Clapham junction?
Onto the Southern services there yes

Better make the most of them whilst they last eh?

miklcct

On Moderation
I've seen a journey on NRE allowing Barnham - HS1 - Kent and checking prices via Tonbridge/Dartford/Godstone gives the same price as the normal fare so I'm very satisfied I could stroll into St Pancras and say let me in etc...

We shall see how this actually goes down next Monday.
Any result of this? I'm a bit shocked if the HS1 is a permitted route between Barnham and Dover, which will mean that a dirt cheap "via Barnham" ticket between Soton and Dover can be used on the HS1!

Are you sure that there are no negative easements preventing such uses?

Gathursty

Established Member
Any result of this? I'm a bit shocked if the HS1 is a permitted route between Barnham and Dover, which will mean that a dirt cheap "via Barnham" ticket between Soton and Dover can be used on the HS1!

Are you sure that there are no negative easements preventing such uses?

I ended up not buying the ticket as I had a last minute change of plan. Yorkie does say that if you can get NRE to show it as an itinerary which Barnham to Margate does show via St P then it must be valid however I didn't search for Soton via Barnham to Margate, only Barnham to Margate.

Status
Not open for further replies.