• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you any irrational fears?

Established Member
Perhaps not irrational, but I don't know. Acrophobia, glossophobia, hydrophobia (only deep water, shallow rivers etc are fine) and monophobia. The fear of heights and deep water came out of nowhere when I was in my early 20s, the other two I've had for much longer. However, I'm going to try and conquer my fear of heights by doing a non-stop lap of the Chester city walls next year, which is where I first realised my acrophobia. Friends and family have offered to sponsor me so I can make a donation to charity, which will be Mind, a cause very close to my heart for the invaluable support they've given me and my loved ones in our times of need.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarryF

My biggest fear is sudden loud noises. Train horns and fire alarms are the biggest offenders, to the point that I often “hide” in a waiting room at a train station if a non-stop train is approaching, in case it uses its horn.
Also, I find people walking round barefoot deeply unsettling. I’ve never quite understood why I find it unsettling.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Also, I find people walking round barefoot deeply unsettling. I’ve never quite understood why I find it unsettling.
Do you just mean outside? I walk around indoors most of the time barefoot. I've even got the NHS to accept that when I'm an inpatient in hospital I can and do function without slippers or other form of footwear, and won't be suing them if I get injured or inconvenienced as a direct result. Up to now, my rationale has been tolerated!

PeterY

Established Member
I wouldn't come to my flat then :D :D :D. I always walk around my flat bare footed. The first thing I do when I arrive home is to take not just my shoes off but socks as well.

HarryF

Do you just mean outside? I walk around indoors most of the time barefoot. I've even got the NHS to accept that when I'm an inpatient in hospital I can and do function without slippers or other form of footwear, and won't be suing them if I get injured or inconvenienced as a direct result. Up to now, my rationale has been tolerated!
Mainly outside, however my younger brother once decided to walk round the house barefoot which was pretty terrifying.