• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you been on your closest infrequent/parliamentary rail service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I've not done the Stockport to Stalybridge Parly, but in the early 1990s this was a Stockport to Manchester Victoria service, which was a Saturdays Only service, motive power was 3 2 car 101 DMUs coupled together, it certainly showed how unimportant the service was as it left Stockport over an hour late, the stock was still in the sidings at departure time.

Thanks for reminding me as I'd forgotten about that one, I rode it around the same period as you did Tim only difference was I had to suffer a 142 for traction.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Thanks for reminding me as I'd forgotten about that one, I rode it around the same period as you did Tim only difference was I had to suffer a 142 for traction.
I fitted this one in between Blackpool to Manchester Victoria loco hauled services.

There was an early Sunday morning Liverpool - Newcastle service which went via Victoria-Ashburys-Guide Bridge -Stalybridge presumably for route retention, is it still running? Something like 05.40 from Victoria or something?

It ran at 10.46 from Victoria on Sundays only, I've checked real time trains and it doesn't show the train running that way anymore sadly.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It ran at 10.46 from Victoria on Sundays only, I've checked real time trains and it doesn't show the train running that way anymore sadly.
I'm not too sure, but I think that this route is still retained, for ECS workings to the depot at Ardwick, if 185s requiring servicing, they could gain access via Phillips Park and a reversal at Ashburys if the route from Salford Crescent via Manchester Piccadilly is blocked.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm not too sure, but I think that this route is still retained, for ECS workings to the depot at Ardwick, if 185s requiring servicing, they could gain access via Phillips Park and a reversal at Ashburys if the route from Salford Crescent via Manchester Piccadilly is blocked.

An ECS is due to run that way tomorrow morning (via a set of unusual moves for TPE)
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y03412/2017/08/14/advanced

One is due to run that way shortly, with a reversal at Guide Bridge
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y03596/2017/08/13/advanced

Last edited:

woodhouse122

done the sheffield to cleethorpes via brigg line at least 6 times this year (hopefully going to have another run out to cleethorpes this saturday if the weathers ok :D )

LowLevel

Established Member
I quite often work the more longstanding trains via the Syston North Curve (1L01/1L02 and occasionally 2R92), also the Allington West to North Curve services and the Ely avoider as well, plus the trains booked to travel via Attenborough Junction to the High Level Goods at Long Eaton.

bnsf734

Nearest "awkward" station to me is Polesworth and I have twice been on the train that stops there recently.

Stockport - Stalybridge was done earlier this year during working at the Manchester Beer Festival. I even bought a Stockport - Stalybridge season ticket for the week (very similar price to Stockport - Manchester) and gave infinite scope for unit and tram bashing to and from Manchester Central.

Going on the early 0445 Leicester to St Pancras recently it was retimed to 0414 and ran via Manton Junction so that was another relatively rare route refreshed.

lejog

Established Member

According to their franchise agreement, TPE are supposed to run 1 tpw via between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge via Phillips Park Junction and Guide Bridge in either direction, at least from December 2017 (now May 2018?) onwards. So presumably the early Sunday morning service may return then.

Its a little odd since the DfT certainly don't specify most other diversionary routes, just this and Leeds to Selby via Milford Junction are specified in a manner similar to parliamentary services.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not at all, as they are definitely not parliamentary services, they are normal franchised services for now, even though only one train each way, because there are many other trains also using the route.
So would they count as being infrequent, given they only run once a day in either direction?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've done the Battersea Park London Overground and the New Beckenham - Beckenham Junction and Chiselhurst to St Mary Cray loops.
I've not done anything that goes via Puparts Lane Junction (late night Thameslink and Gatwick Express services).
I think I may have done that during some January engineering works around Victoria but I'm not 100% certain as I don't know all the line names and junctions around that point. It certainly took a diversion very near Victoira.

steamybrian

Established Member
My last "parliamentary service" was over the Leigham Junction to Tulse Hill spur in South London. I travelled over it a couple of years ago on the then one daytime passenger service per day which ran between Streatham Hill and London Bridge. The spur is used by a number of ECS movements.
I have travelled over the whole of the former Southern Region lines except Laverstock curve.

Thebaz

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of these parliamentary services? I bet someone's been enthusiastic enough to compile one!

cactustwirly

Established Member
My nearest service is the Paddington to West Ruislip, which I'm yet to do.

Not strictly infrequent (1x Eastbound, 4x Westbound each day), but I have been on a HST to Twyford in both directions.

paok

My nearest service is the Paddington to West Ruislip, which I'm yet to do.

Not strictly infrequent (1x Eastbound, 4x Westbound each day), but I have been on a HST to Twyford in both directions.

Outbound from Paddington goes non-stop to High Wycombe now. Inbound comes from South Ruislip.

High Dyke

Established Member
I've only done the Edinburgh Sub either on diversions or Railtours.
1C99 2105 Glasgow Central - Edinburgh uses the Edinburgh Sub. Travelled on it a few years ago.

Last year I also did the Inverness avoiding line (well curve) when returning from Kyle of Lochalsh on this 2H86 1713 Kyle of Lochalsh - Elgin.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I've done the 1716 Leeds to Goole / 1849 Goole to Leeds parly. I've also travelled on a TPE service that was diverted via Fairburn.

Elmers End

The SWT/SWR London Waterloo Uprgrade enabled me to do Wimbledon > Clapham Junction via Southfields and the East Putney spur.
SWT often used that route out of Waterloo as an engineering diversion of very late trains, but not AFAIK into Waterloo.
Furthermore my train terminated at an ex-International platform.

This and similar workings would have been enjoyed by thousands of commuters during the much publicised works - but I stopped commuting years ago so a first for me.

Gareth

Established Member
My closest is the Ellesmere Port - Helsby line.

And nope, never been on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.