• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you had the virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Don't think so. Not been tested though, so can't know for certain.

Interesting that quite a few folk on this sub-forum report having had nasty Covid-19 like symptoms but when tested the result has come back negative.

Yet for other folk, it is also possible that they have actually had Coronavirus but not known it, having not been tested and having been (relatively) asymptomatic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
Probably I've had it. Felt lousy for over a week in February, lost my voice completely (that never happens to me), I was expecting a heavy cold to follow, but it never came. Whenever I've had seasonal flu in the past it's taken me out for a couple of days, never this long.

My next door neighbours had a continuous cough for over a week, and I'd been talking to them over the fence a few days before.

I'm a clinical NHS worker, so I'll be able to tell you one way or the other for certain when the antibody testing roadshow comes my way.

johntea

Established Member
As I work in the NHS I was given an antibody test for CV-19 and came back...Positive (As in my body has antibodies to the virus)

That result has shocked me slightly, as I've never shown any real symptoms other than perhaps a period where I felt more tired than usual although I've always struggled with sleep anyway

Annoyingly it means not very much having the test at the moment as they can't yet know the long term impacts (if I could catch the virus again or spread it) so still have to wear a dreaded face mask for now :(

That now means 6 of the 7 people in our office have come back positive, although I've been mainly working from home!

adc82140

Established Member
And if this is the case countrywide, a big rethink will be in order. I still maintain that the death rate will be equivalent to seasonal flu when the dust has settled. If you don't mind my asking, which NHS Trust? (PM me if you like). I'm not having much luck getting my test.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I recently tested positive, and were it not for the test, I’d have had no idea whatsoever that I’d picked up the virus.

Day 0: Sunday 30th August 2020.
Suspected exposure. No symptoms.

Day 1: Monday 31st August 2020
Took test. No symptoms.

Day 2: Tuesday 1st September 2020
Test returned positive. No symptoms.

Day 3: Wednesday 2nd September 2020
No symptoms.

and as above, no symptoms thru...

Day 9: Tuesday 8th September 2020
No symptoms.

Whilst I appreciate many haven’t been so lucky, two friends who tested positive at the same time as me have developed mild symptoms but certainly aren’t in danger. I don’t pretend to have the answers but I do feel like the country’s lockdown continued for too long in proportion to the threat.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Just heard one of our very best friends has Covid. We are a little concerned because she is late 50s African American obese with diabetes. So fairly high risk. I will keep this thread informed.

Jamiescott1

have posted before but were taking part in regular antibody tests via phe to measure the spread of covid-19 in schools.
The first test in May - 3 out of 8 people in my department tested positive for antibodies. None of them showed symptoms or knew they had it.
Still waiting for results from June tests

170TurboFan

have posted before but were taking part in regular antibody tests via phe to measure the spread of covid-19 in schools.
The first test in May - 3 out of 8 people in my department tested positive for antibodies. None of them showed symptoms or knew they had it.
Still waiting for results from June tests
My housemate at uni was working on a hospital placement on March just before everything kicked off and got ill with a temperature and a cough, then her boyfriend who lived with her had no symptoms and I lost my sense of smell slightly but not massively and this was before household isolation was a thing. So it is possible I have been exposed!

Mintona

Established Member
I don’t know anybody who has definitely had it. A few who think they have (possibly including myself as I was in New York when it all started going nuts there and I was then quite unwell upon arrival home) but none confirmed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My housemate at uni was working on a hospital placement on March just before everything kicked off and got ill with a temperature and a cough, then her boyfriend who lived with her had no symptoms and I lost my sense of smell slightly but not massively and this was before household isolation was a thing. So it is possible I have been exposed!

One of the difficulties with the sense of smell thing is that a modified (but not lost) sense of smell is a usual symptom of the common cold due to the nose being blocked. As one example, I love my chips slathered in vinegar in normal circumstances, but if I have a cold I can't stand it, the taste without the smell (or with it reduced) is highly unpleasant.

You can also lose your smell for other reasons (though it's often post-viral). My Mum lost hers permanently some years ago, they did a brain scan and couldn't find anything amiss so concluded it was post-viral. Her curry eating as a result upgraded itself from korma to jalfrezi! :)

Skittle

My pennies worth - week before lockdown I had felt "run down" but fine and nothing on the list to worry about. I got to work and developed a fever and really felt quite ill so had to self isolate. There was another symtom I had, can't for the life of me remember which one it was but it wasn't on the list of things that show up but a few days later they updated the list and it was on it. Felt like a cross between a cold and a flu and my throat was like I was having an alergic reaction. Odd virus (not meaning Covid just meaning whatever bug had a hold of me) I've no idea what it was but I think the oddest part of it all for me is that I still seem to be affected by it. I'm usually really active and I've never outside of being a toddler had naps through the day. But now I keep just getting exhausted, napping and I can't exercise at all like I used to. I just seem to have lost all real stamina/energy after it.

That said I was raging when we went into lockdown, literally the day I got to come out of self isolation was the day we weren't allowed out anyway :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

I think I have got it now. Started Saturday evening with sore throat and very swollen tonsils, then quickly progressed into fever. Struggled to sleep.

Got worse throughout Sunday and Monday with dry cough, headaches, continued fever, out of breath walking upstairs, wheezing, struggling to breathe, heart palpitations and high heart rate. Couldn't sleep despite being exhausted.

Today I am a bit better but still have all those symptoms, slightly less intense than Sunday and Monday though. Can’t get a test as there are none available.

I very rarely get it il, never had the flu and very rarely catch a cold maybe once every few years. This is the first time I’ve been ill for ages. But it is absolutely dreadful.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I think I have got it now. Started Saturday evening with sore throat and very swollen tonsils, then quickly progressed into fever. Struggled to sleep.

Got worse throughout Sunday and Monday with dry cough, headaches, continued fever, out of breath walking upstairs, wheezing, struggling to breathe, heart palpitations and high heart rate. Couldn't sleep despite being exhausted.

Today I am a bit better but still have all those symptoms, slightly less intense than Sunday and Monday though. Can’t get a test as there are none available.

I very rarely get it il, never had the flu and very rarely catch a cold maybe once every few years. This is the first time I’ve been ill for ages. But it is absolutely dreadful.
I hope you make a swift recovery and are feeling much better very soon.

Skittle

It sounds dreadful, really hope you start to feel better soon. With the brething I know in March I felt like someone had a weight on my chest and seemed to last the longest from all other immediate symptoms.

Jpr463

This is interesting as I'm having a very similar experience, except my sore throat began on Friday. I've noticed that the fever is alternating between a mild and high temperature and I'm waking in the nights drenched in sweat. Quite a few friends are also showing the same symptoms, though my partner (who I live with) hasn't shown anything yet.

I'm fortunate that I managed to get a home test kit and I'll be intrigued to see what the result is. Regardless, I wouldn't wish this upon anyone as it's quite unpleasant and I hate being off work and stuck indoors.

adc82140

Established Member
As I said a bit further up thread I think I had it in February. The fever. The sweats. The cough.

I now have a cold. Started with a sore throat on Monday, and I'm now really mucousy. With that comes a cough. A persistent one. But it's not a dry cough, I'm simply having to remove mucous.

This is probably what's clogging up the testing system. With the kids back at school, there is a cold going round. Colds also involve coughs. Everyone with a persistent cough has been told to get a test.

adc82140

Established Member
A dry persistent cough. But people are probably ignoring that word and going anyway.
I had to look it up. And I work in the health industry. They are making a lot of the "new continuous cough" and not enough of the fact that it has to be dry.

LAX54

Established Member
How many have just had flu/cold/other viral infection, but as Covid has been drummed into the brain 24/7 for months, think that is what it must have been, or is ?

How many have just had flu/cold/other viral infection, but as Covid has been drummed into the brain 24/7 for months, think that is what it must have been, or is ?

I suppose we will never know without accurate antibody testing.

I have managed to get a test to check if I have it currently.

LAX54

Established Member
Haven't had it.

Still don't know a single person who has.

One of our neighbours 'think' that they 'may' have had it ! apart from that I know of no one, not where I live nor at work, nor when I talk to other areas at work on the phone, they all say, they know of no one

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I don’t know anyone who’s actually confirmed as having had it. Lot of people think they’ve had it but not sure. It does seem crazy that we’ve locked the country down and are terrified and I don’t know one person who’s had this (and I have quite a large social circle)

AdamWW

Established Member
I don’t know anyone who’s actually confirmed as having had it. Lot of people think they’ve had it but not sure. It does seem crazy that we’ve locked the country down and are terrified and I don’t know one person who’s had this (and I have quite a large social circle)

Just like it was crazy all that money spent preventing the Millennium Bug and then nothing happened?

jumble

Me !
Friday Complete loss of taste and smell but no other symptoms
Friday Night bit of sweating in night and a bit of muscle ache
Saturday lucky enough to get a test
Monday Evening Negative result

Funnily enough my oldest had exactly the same about 6 weeks ago

MattA7

How do people who don’t have a car to drive to the testing place get a test done

jumble

You can't, it's as simple as that. Pedestrians/cyclists are not allowed.
Not true
I was tested in a walk in center in Slough and they did not have the faintest interest in or knowledge of how I got there
It is as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.