• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have your tickets been checked on your journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Today I did:

Frodsham - Runcorn (TFW unchecked)
Runcorn - Crewe (AWC unchecked)
Crewe - Chester (TFW unchecked)
Chester - Mouldsworth (Northern checked)
Mouldsworth - Chester (Northen checked)
Chester - Frodsham (TFW unchecked)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Still no ticket checks on Southeastern or Southern, even through breaking my journey on my return about five times.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Ticket checked on a Stratford-on-Avon to Kidderminster train yesterday and also between Cardiff and Newport on Great Western last weekend (that's quite rare under normal circumstances).

peteb

No ticket checks on Cambrian line southbound towards Barmouth, Thursday morning, the busiest stretch. Conductor imploring passengers to purchase at Barmouth, to a lot of comments and mirth from passengers evidently having no intention to pay! To be fair (pun intended) there wasn't time for conductor to sell 40+ tickets between Harlech and Barmouth, at least 20 joined at Dyffryn. Bought a day rover at Machynlleth ticket office (good value). Northbound mid-evening train towards Harlech less busy, full ticket checks. Great conductor, name checked a special junior traveller whose birthday it was on the intercom. A friendly touch. Thoroughly recommend this line for fabulous sunsets!

glenbogle

I’ve got a North Wales Rover and there’s not been a conductor selling tickets on any of the trains I’ve been on since Wed bar the Avanti conductor from Crewe to Chester.
On the Cambrian and Conwy Line it was only if request stops were required not ticket checks.

peteb

I’ve got a North Wales Rover and there’s not been a conductor selling tickets on any of the trains I’ve been on since Wed bar the Avanti conductor from Crewe to Chester.
On the Cambrian and Conwy Line it was only if request stops were required not ticket checks.
I guess the Cambrian does have lots of request stops, so the conductor asked everyone individually where they were going, and most showed tickets automatically. Come to think of it I did not see any tickets being sold.....but then again as it was an evening train most folks were getting off, like me at Dyffryn at 2134!

Chriso

I visited Glasgow yesterday by getting the overnight sleeper Monday night. On the sleeper in seats I didn’t get asked for my ticket but shortly before dep a CS employee came through with clipboard and seemed to be checking booked seats so assume this was a check of sorts.

While up there I travelled to Stirling on the 10:42 Glasgow QS HL to Stirling and 11:38 return both hsts. No check on outbound but on return there was a crew change and guard went through asking for any unchecked tickets, I should also mention both gate lines were also operational. On return I travelled Queen St LL to Airdrie where I had a check in the front 320. I caught the 14:14 Airdrie to Patrick where again I had a check in rear 320. I then travelled Patrick to Glasgow Central LL. I then headed to Mount Florida and Paisley Gilmour Street from Glasgow Central HL with no onboard checks but gates working at Central high and low level.

On return 17:30 Glasgow Central to Euston Avanti there was no onboard check plus I sat in Standard Premium so had a free upgrade the whole way

I should also add that I was impressed on Monday night to see the Avanti revenue team doing checks at Euston right up to the final 23:30 departure to Wolverhampton. A total contrast to the above

Kite159

Veteran Member
Last weekend both ways on SWR (although he didn't catch out a lady who decided to hide in the loo from Basingstoke only to come out after passing Clapham). Nothing on London Northwestern, either on the 350s which were fast to Leighton Buzzard or on the Marston Vale services (looked like a lot of passengers alighted at Bedford St Johns, probably to avoid the barriers at Bedford Midland)

james60059

WEDNESDAY 09/06/21.

Nuneaton - Leicester (XC - unchecked).
Leicester - Sheffield (EM - unchecked).
Sheffield - Cleethorpes (TP - unchecked).
Cleethorpes - Barton-on-Humber (EM - checked).
Barton-on-Humber - Cleethorpes (EM - checked).
Cleethorpes - Doncaster (TP - unchecked).
Doncaster - Peterborough (LN - unchecked).
Peterborough - Nuneaton (XC - checked).

HST274

A short hop last Friday from Stafford to Stoke-On-Trent was unchecked with LNWR. Last Monday I travelled from University To Worcester Foregate Street and my ticket was not checked.

zero

My recent travel:
Glasgow - Edinburgh (SR): checked around Falkirk G
Edinburgh - Manchester (TP): checked after Haymarket
Manchester - Birmingham (XC): checked after Stoke
Birmingham - Cheltenham (XC): not checked but barriers were in operation
Worcester - Reading (GW): checked after Evesham
Reading - Waterloo: not checked

Paul Jones 88

Tickets checked today by the train manager on the Southeastern service I caught from Ashford International to London Bridge, first time this has happened since before the pandemic, very nice to have a uniformed presence walking through the train.

HST274

Travelled on WMR from Birmingham yesterday. The guard literally came out his cabin to chat with an off duty member of staff and he still did not check my ticket- what was even funnier was that they each sat on an adjacent table and the guard sat on the one I was on so roughly opposite me.

Last edited:

Chriso

A lot of West Midlands staff could not be arsed pre-COVID so this gives them an excuse not to bother. Revenue protection in the West Midlands is pathetic considering most trains have guards.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
From yesterday's travels:
Hull - Sheffield (Northern): full ticket check
Sheffield - Derby (CrossCountry): nothing
Derby - Crewe (EMR): partial ticket check
Crewe - Derby (EMR): full ticket check
Derby - Matlock (EMR): nothing
Matlock - Nottingham (EMR): nothing
Nottingham - Peterborough (EMR): nothing
Peterborough - Leicester (CrossCountry): nothing
Leicester - Nottingham (EMR): nothing
Nottingham - Mansfield Woodhouse (EMR): full ticket check
Mansfield Woodhouse - Nottingham (EMR): full ticket check
Nottingham - Worksop (EMR): nothing onboard but security staff at Nottingham were checking everyone had a ticket before they boarded
Worksop - Sheffield (Northern): full ticket check
Sheffield - Hull (Northern): full ticket check

miklcct

On Moderation
I have never got my tickets checked on my SWR / Southern / CrossCountry journeys so far, including numerous journeys between Bournemouth and Poole, and round trip Bournemouth - Southampton - Brighton on the coastal line. However, my journey yesterday on GWR had my tickets checked just north of Salisbury on both bounds.

james60059

FRIDAY 11/06/21.

Nuneaton - Stafford (WM - Unchecked).
Stafford - Stoke-on-Trent (WM - Unchecked).
Stoke-on-Trent - Derby (EM - Checked).
Derby - Sheffield (EM - Checked).
Sheffield - New Mills Central (NT - Checked).
New Mills Central - Sheffield (NT - Unchecked).
Sheffield - Lincoln Central (NT - Checked).
Lincoln Central - Newark North Gate (EM - Checked).
Newark North Gate - Peterborough (LN - Unchecked).
Peterborough - Nuneaton (XC - Unchecked).

iantherev

Ticket checked between Swansea & Cardiff on GWR on Thursday (first time this year- although all my other journeys have been on TfW).

Nova1

I travel regularly with West Midlands Railway between two stations with no gateline, often my ticket is only checked when I travel on quieter services. I've had it checked once at the station also. I also use a 16-17 railcard and have only had this checked once. I know most people don't travel with a ticket on this route because they don't check. Plus, WMR staff seem to have a lax view on fare evasion, if you board the train without a ticket you aren't asked questions, just offered the chance to buy a ticket off the guard.

HST274

Yes I have to agree WMR are fairly lax, and as my route is used a lot by people looking to get into Birmingham for leisure I think fare evasion is common. I have heard someone complaining to their companion it was useless buying a ticket because it wasn't checked and the other assuring them it still could be checked on the return.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday:
SWR 1/2
Nothing on XC (0/5)
EMR - 3/9

Saturday:
XC - 3/4
Northern 3/3
EMR - 6/16

Sunday:
Northern 1/1
EMR 0/4
LNER 0/4
Hull Trains 1/2
TPE 1/1 (checked before boarding)
SWR 1/1

Spamcan81

Made a trip to York and back on Thursday. No ticket check on the TL parts of the journey and LNER ticket check on the outward journey only.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Today's roundup:
Hull - Sheffield (Northern): full ticket check
Sheffield - Derby (EMR): full ticket check
Derby - Birmingham New Street (XC): nothing
Birmingham New Street - Hereford (WMT): full ticket check
Hereford - Birmingham New Street (WMT): guard swap at Worcester Foregate Street, both carried out full checks
Birmingham New Street - Shrewsbury (TfW): nothing
Shrewsbury - Bilbrook (WMT): nothing
Bilbrook - Oakengates (WMT): nothing
Oakengates - Wolverhampton (WMT): nothing
Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury (WMT): nothing
Shrewsbury - Manchester Piccadilly (TfW): nothing apart from human barriers at Piccadilly
Manchester Piccadilly - Hull (TPE): nothing apart from ticket gates at Piccadilly, although in fairness I was sat in the front 3 of 6

Chriso

Full ticket check on a 360 last night on 21:45 St Pancras to Luton.

I have also heard South Eastern REO’s have been doing checks on entry at Margate although I believe there are a lot of issues in that area at the moment with all the good weather

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I've spent the last 3 days on an Explore South Wales ticket, mainly around the Cardiff Valleys, no checks on any train (except a Rhymney 769 where the guard was checking tickets but "still not allowed" to sell any) but stations with barriers were always operational.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Guard on my GWR service has been checking tickets after every station and as a result has issued 4 first class upgrades - the railway needs all the extra money it can get at the moment.

Tryfan

Wednesday 16th June
Alfreton to Grantham no check
Grantham to Kings Cross checked
Waterloo to Walton on Thames no check
Walton on Thames to Waterloo no check
Kings Cross to Grantham checked
Grantham to Nottingham no check
Nottingham to Alfreton no check

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday
1/1 on SWR
2/7 on GWR (excluding DOO services). Only one on the intercity services was a RPI in the front unit (who sounded like they caught someone out travelling towards one of the stations between Bristol & Taunton who claimed to have boarded at Swindon but didn't know there was barriers there)
1/1 on XC (although not until after Stoke. Boarded at Reading.

Saturday:
Around 50% on Northern services

Sunday:
Nothing on Northern, LNER or SWR.

Barriers wide open at Wakefield, Kings Cross & Euston

Last edited:

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Travelled to Chester with Northern yesterday from Frodsham. No ticket checks and barriers open at Chester.

Status
Not open for further replies.