• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Having Trouble getting scenarios to show as 'completed'

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Hi,

I'm currently having a problem with regards to the completion of scenarios. Even if I drive it pretty well, stopping at every station, on 2 scenarios in a row now (both with 3 stops) it says 'You successfully picked up passangers from 1 out of 3 stations'. But I stopped at all 3 of them, the timer went across, the doors closed and I was given the buzzer to leave? Anyone got any thoughts?

Oh, and am I the only one who hates the 166 with a passion. Very sluggish, and I keep managing to get emergency brake applications or full throttle when I had the key on the keyboard a bit lightly <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Sounds like you were late for station calls. Lateness goes down as a missed stop, even if you did pick up the passengers there

HST Power

Established Member
Yes, you were probably late, or maybe it was some kind of operational error. Make sure that you bring the whole train into the platform, try not to shortfall and leave any carriages out of range of the platform because otherwise the doors won't open.

The 166 is actually quite easy to drive. I agree with you in the sense that you're not going to break any land speed records, (it can be sluggish!) but apart from that it's relatively simple. If you're having trouble, set the controls in the options menu to 'Simple Controls.'

CC 72100

Established Member
Cheers for the responses. All of the train was on the platform with all doors available for use. I strongly suspect it was down to the lateness, especially on the 166 scenario.

Just for the record, what counts as operational errors?

CC 72100

Established Member
Still struggling with this - always the same scenario which is particularly difficult: Just Trains Bristol to Exeter, 'The Merchant Venturer'

ert47

Still struggling with this - always the same scenario which is particularly difficult: Just Trains Bristol to Exeter, 'The Merchant Venturer'

That one is with the HST isnt it? I've had issues with one of the scenarios, had a look online as to how to complete it and it turns out that you have to keep a lower top speed consistently to avoid getting caught by signals.

CC 72100

Established Member
That one is with the HST isnt it? I've had issues with one of the scenarios, had a look online as to how to complete it and it turns out that you have to keep a lower top speed consistently to avoid getting caught by signals.

It is yes. Ah ok then, so rather than flooring it for as long as possible until I catch up the unit and then trundle along at 40 - 50 through the yellows, don't be so keen to reach top speed to begin with.

I'll give it a go - I always get into Taunton 2 late or so, then Exeter on time or early, yet it still says 1/3 despite the fact I was ok at Bristol TM and Exeter SD :s

Harbon 1

You have to keep a lower top speed on any add on hst, they don't have stepped breaks and nothing over graduated self lap or whatever it is :roll:

Crossover

Established Member
I think it is known as "chasing the yellows" - of course, if makes sense that you are better keeping a higher average speed rather than consistently having to crawl upto signals only to find it clear (obviously there are ways round this is RW, such as tabbing to find out if the next signal is clear)

If you are using 4 aspect signalling, this is probably easier to do, as, if you are on double yellows, then encounter a yellow, you need to drop your speed a bit, if you get a green, you can increase the speed a bit. I intend to go on RW again soon so I will try and try this scenario out

CC 72100

Established Member
I think it is known as "chasing the yellows" - of course, if makes sense that you are better keeping a higher average speed rather than consistently having to crawl upto signals only to find it clear (obviously there are ways round this is RW, such as tabbing to find out if the next signal is clear)

If you are using 4 aspect signalling, this is probably easier to do, as, if you are on double yellows, then encounter a yellow, you need to drop your speed a bit, if you get a green, you can increase the speed a bit. I intend to go on RW again soon so I will try and try this scenario out

I'm with you. The scenario I'm on about though I believe is simply called the Merchant Venturer or something like that, driving the 07:30 PAD - PNZ from Bristol TM to Exeter SD. (A train I was on, from Exeter to Liskeard on Tuesday, hence why I wanted to try the scenario again!)

ert47

You have to keep a lower top speed on any add on hst, they don't have stepped breaks and nothing over graduated self lap or whatever it is :roll:

I think Crossover has pretty much said what I meant, in the scenario that Im thinking of its better to keep a high average speed instead of going as fast as possible until you hit a yellow signal. The time it takes you to slow down (and in most cases, stop) and then speed up again makes you late in the end.

Its the only scenario that I can think of (and own) where flooring it doesnt work and going slower does.

Crossover

Established Member
Just tried the scenario in question and can see the problem.

You only get signal checked at a small number of signaks (due to a stopping service via Weston-Super-Mare which doesn't start moving until you are pretty much "on it", so the trick to this is probably to keep a lower top speed from Bristol TM (how unrealistic, as you drive to greens!)
So the chasing the yellows doesn't really work for this.

I ended up crawling up to the signal at 10mph on the junction to Weston-Super-Mare, despite only doing about 50 for the 3 or so track sections before. Therefore, I had no chance to make it to Taunton in time.

Therefore I decided to do something that you wouldn't do IRL (so as to avoid needing to do the scenario again entirely - though I may try it again as far as Taunton to test the theory - to green tick it...I had evidently failed it once before as well) and for part of the last 10 miles, I may have slightly been doing HST's top speed......

Doing this, I just got to Taunton in the nick of time (oh yeah, a 60mph crossover may have accidently been taken at 80 as well....) and left at 09:46 as timetabled. No more limits broken and I arrived at Exeter about 4 mins early :shock:

I have now green ticked it - it seems that being late for a station call classes it as missed, but travelling at up to 125mph (in a mostly 100 limit) for about 50,000ft (about 10 miles) to be on time is absolutely fine :lol:

CC 72100

Established Member
I have now green ticked it - it seems that being late for a station call classes it as missed, but travelling at up to 125mph (in a mostly 100 limit) for about 50,000ft (about 10 miles) to be on time is absolutely fine :lol:

As you do in real life of course :roll:

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go just so that I can green tick it, although I know that i've done it before on time at Exeter, late at Taunton, but keeping to speed limits throughout! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.