• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Haywards Heath to Brighton via Lewes

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilm

Hi

Am looking at going to Brighton for the day but on the way down stopping at Lewes. I believe the routing allows going via Lewes so I guess it is okay to break my journey (leave the station) at Lewes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi

Am looking at going to Brighton for the day but on the way down stopping at Lewes. I believe the routing allows going via Lewes so I guess it is okay to break my journey (leave the station) at Lewes?
No, via Lewes is not a permitted route for Haywards Heath to Brighton. However, Haywards Heath to Lewes or Falmer is permitted via Brighton, and the return fares are identical (the single fares are marginally more expensive), so if you want to go that route then I would buy your ticket to Lewes instead. It's a totally bizarre situation.

neilm

No, via Lewes is not a permitted route for Haywards Heath to Brighton. However, Haywards Heath to Lewes or Falmer is permitted via Brighton, and the return fares are identical (the single fares are marginally more expensive), so if you want to go that route then I would buy your ticket to Lewes instead. It's a totally bizarre situation.

Thanks, I will buy to Falmer then :)

Veteran Member

Not totally bizarre, because although Lewes via Brighton is a fraction further than Brighton via Lewes, Lewes via Brighton has been an important route since the year dot - it's only 30-odd years since there was only an hourly service via Plumpton and at least two connections per hour via Brighton.
By contrast, Brighton via Lewes isn't normally worth it because the BML has so many trains.
But it is inconsistent, as London-Brighton is certainly valid via Lewes.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Not totally bizarre, because although Lewes via Brighton is a fraction further than Brighton via Lewes, Lewes via Brighton has been an important route since the year dot - it's only 30-odd years since there was only an hourly service via Plumpton and at least two connections per hour via Brighton.
By contrast, Brighton via Lewes isn't normally worth it because the BML has so many trains.
But it is inconsistent, as London-Brighton is certainly valid via Lewes.
Exactly - and the reason why I find it particularly surprising is that (for returned tickets), the two cost the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.