• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headbolt Lane progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
It was the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway main line between Liverpool Exchange, Wigan, Bolton and Manchester Victoria - so certainly would have been double track.
It got singled between Rainford and Fazakerley in 1970. The infrastructure is still in place to double the line, except for the bridges at County Road and the M57.
The Lancashire & Yorkshire Main Line was double track throughout from Walton Junction to Hindley No 3 Junction whether via or avoiding Wigan Wallgate and where the original embankment survives double track can be reinstated relatively easily, the obstructions being where it has been obliterated for the construction of the M57 and widening of County Road, however where the reversing siding for the bin service occupies half of the trackbed, Network Rail still plan to widen the embankment to give a new 3 track layout.
Unfortunately actions like track reduction taken by the railways in the past are costing lots of money to restore these days.
Does anybody know the distance between Headbolt Lane and the proposed junction for Skelmersdale.
The extent of 4 tracks on the L&YR alone from Liverpool Exchange to Walton Junction and Marsh Lane Junction, continuing from Hindley No 3 Junction to Manchester Victoria via Atherton but not Westhoughton, with that line being 4 tracks from Lostock Junction to Bolton and with numerous through tracks and passing loops including at Wigan Wallgate, Bolton Trinity Street and inexplicably Entwistle, now a single platform request stop is really quite astounding, but not as much as the fact that it has all sadly been lost when the railways of today are so desperate for the additional capacity. How much would it cost to restore the 3 miles between Lostock Junction and Bolton now that it has been electrified without provision for quadrupling?

I previously calculated it to be 6.5 miles Fazakerley to Rainford, 5.1 miles Kirkby to the present start of double track, a further 1 mile from there to the new Skelmersdale junction and 1.9 miles of new construction to the new Skelmersdale station, so just subtract approximately 0.8 miles from Kirkby to Headbolt Lane and it must be about 5.3 miles.
I think it's been stated that from Fazakerley station to and including the M57 bridge will remain single track, and then doubled from there.
It will obviously be cheaper and less disruptive to just replace the bridge over County Road so I am assuming this will be only done either as part of the Skelmersdale scheme if deemed necessary or if not then if it proves to be a significant bottleneck.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
Travelled between Wigan Wallgate and Kirkby today.
Vegetation clearanceis taking place between Kirkby Statio and County Road. An area of land alongside County Road and the railway has been fenced off I assume to build the hew double track bridge.

childwallblues

Established Member
Work officially started on Headbolt Lane last week when the dignartires from the local council, Merseytravel, the Metro Mayor, Network Rail and others appeared for the official sod cutting ceremony.
I will probably traverse the line next Tuesday so I note what has happened recently.

mcnw35282

The access road works are now complete and Headbolt Lane is fully open to traffic. Contractor details and artists impressions have been fitted to the hoardings around the site. Lots of vegetation clearance around the bridge over County Road and embankment adjacent to Mill Farm.

childwallblues

Established Member
The access road works are now complete and Headbolt Lane is fully open to traffic. Contractor details and artists impressions have been fitted to the hoardings around the site. Lots of vegetation clearance around the bridge over County Road and embankment adjacent to MiwHEN

When this scheme is complete will it allow access to the Merseyrail system or will there still be buffer stops to prevent access?

Established Member
When this scheme is complete will it allow access to the Merseyrail system or will there still be buffer stops to prevent access?
When the scheme is complete there will be access to Merseyrail from Skelmersdale and the through line from Wigan will have to be retained for access to the freight terminal at Knowsley so yes. After only phase 1 is complete see the 3 platform layout for the location of the buffer stops

mcnw35282

The layout will be similar to the present layout at Kirkby (Wigan and Liverpool trains on one single platform but divided with buffer stops in the middle), except there'll be an adjacent platform on the merseyrail side. Access to the 2nd Liverpool facing platform will be via a walkway between the two buffer stops.

childwallblues

Established Member
Travelled between Wigan Wallgate and Kirkby today.
Vegetation clearanceis taking place between Kirkby Statio and County Road. An area of land alongside County Road and the railway has been fenced off I assume to build the hew double track bridge.
Travelled to Kirkby and back to Wigan Wallgate today. the fenced off area is now has excavators on site moving a lot of earth. the area from County rosd to Kirkby Station has had aloy more trees felled.

Established Member
Travelled to Kirkby and back to Wigan Wallgate today. the fenced off area is now has excavators on site moving a lot of earth. the area from County rosd to Kirkby Station has had aloy more trees felled.
Presumably this devegetation is to provide better access for the redoubling work which is soon to start

mcnw35282

From Boyes Brow, it looks like they've driven in sheet piles just below the rails to shore up the embankment ready for widening

urbophile

Established Member
From Boyes Brow, it looks like they've driven in sheet piles just below the rails to shore up the embankment ready for widening
Why would they need to do that? Surely the trackbed is already wide enough as it was double tracked before.

Established Member
Why would they need to do that? Surely the trackbed is already wide enough as it was double tracked before.
The original embankment, where it survives (not over the M57 or County Road) is all still double track width, however the proposed new layout necessaries sections of 3 tracks, hence widening.

Scouse77

On Moderation
Originally, yeah...live in Sin Tellins now cos of work. Mum and dad live on Shevington Park, so been having a shufty at progress on the station when I visit them.
Ah ...I think I know who you are. Sister with a name beginning with M? Saint Peter and Paul's too?

If it helps I'm G!

mcnw35282

Nope, not me...sorry!

Just done a Kirkby-Rainford-Kirkby trip to check on the (not much at this stage) progress of Headbolt Lane station. On the Kirkby to Rainford leg, I sat on the right-hand side of the train in the direction it was travelling…and I have to say 45 years of erosion seems to my un-engineer eye to have left the former double track embankment looking a little thin in places…

Last edited:

Established Member
Just done a Kirkby-Rainford-Kirkby trip to check on the (not much at this stage) progress of Headbolt Lane station. On the Kirkby to Rainford leg, I sat on the right-hand side of the train in the direction it was travelling…and I have to say 45 years of erosion seems to my un-engineer eye to have left the former double track embankment looking a little thin in places…
Either that or the track has been slewed and runs on the right (south) hand side of the embankment, which given that the Kirkby station platform is also on the south side would make sense.

snowball

Established Member
Here's a Kirkby-Wigan cab video. On the first part there are places where the veg encroachment is such that it's hard to tell that it was once double track, or which side the other track was.

mcnw35282

Has anyone seen a full list of all the reinstatement works going into the headbolt lane extension? The only things I've seen or read officially is the layout of the new station and a new double track bridge deck over County Road...

snowball

Established Member
Has anyone seen a full list of all the reinstatement works going into the headbolt lane extension? The only things I've seen or read officially is the layout of the new station and a new double track bridge deck over County Road...
Redoubling from Kirkby to Headbolt Lane according to the page linked in #31.

LPJOHN

According to someone I spoke to at the drop-in event held on 18th March, the line will be doubled just past Glovers Brow bridge.

mcnw35282

What work has been completed so far?

January to April 2022
Over the last three months, we have been completing preparation work which involved:
• Welfare and site set up.
• Two access roads.
• Completion of 25% of the station and car park earthworks.
• Vegetation management.
• Piling work which will help with the stability of the railway embankments.
• Widening the railway embankments to allow for a new railway line to be built.
• Digging temporary foundations around the bridges that will be replaced.
• The delivery of stone to stabilise the land.
• A public drop-in event that took place in March 2022, offering residents a chance to learn more about the project
Joint partners in the Headbolt Station scheme, including the Metro Mayor, on site as earthworks begin

Upcoming work between April and July

Over the next three months, we will be starting important work on the railway bridges, main car park and platforms. This includes:
• Structural repairs on the bridge on Mill Lane, fitting a new curb and waterproofing. This will take place while the railway is closed for approximately 4 ½ days.
• The replacement of the bridge on County Road, during a six-week closure from 16 July. This will allow us to build an additional railway line.
• Railway track replacements where we’ll be upgrading the existing track to a new twin track.
• New cable ducting and troughing across 2km of track.
• The main car park construction which will begin in May 2022.
• Platform work which will begin in June 2022.
• The installation of new electrical cables along Headbolt Lane that will power a new sub station.
• Knowsley Council will undertake the filling in of the existing underpass recently closed off to prevent access to the new station.
Where we need to stop trains running to complete work, bus replacements will be in place.
To deliver this work, we will be using a variety of plant and machinery, including cranes, piling rigs, excavators, dumpers and road rail track machines.
Where possible, we will complete noisier work during the day to reduce any impact or inconvenience to local residents. Unfortunately, certain jobs can only be carried out at night when trains aren’t running.
Where increased noise is to be expected, we will directly contact local residents likely to be affected.

Impact to local roads

Our aim is to minimise disruption to local residents and businesses. To keep everybody safe, there will be some impact on local roads while we complete the work.
Headbolt Lane will have temporary traffic lights in place from 11 April until the start of May 2022.
• Mill Lane will have temporary traffic lights for nine days from 09 May 2022. The footpath between Mill Lane and the green space will also be closed during this time.
• Mill Lane/Boyes Brow Road will be closed for six days from 01 June 2022.
• County Road will have temporary traffic lights between 11 June to 15 June 2022.
• County Road will have temporary traffic lights between 25 June to 01 July 2022.
• Mill Lane will have temporary traffic lights for 5 days from 04 July. The footpath between Mill Lane and the green space will also be closed during this time.
• County Road will be closed for 5 weeks from 23 July 2022 to 30 August 2022

Last edited:

mcnw35282

Took a little trip from Kirkby to Rainford and back yesterday to check on the progress of Headbolt Lane. Looks like the earthworks for the site car park and welfare facilities/offices is coming along. Last week, concrete bases had been cast either side of Kirkby Brook for the new station access road bridge...well that now has a deck. Unsure if it's permanent or temporary. On closer Inspection, they're not hammering sheet piles into the embankment, rather short pieces of what look similar to RSJs with pieces of wood in between them. This would be to stop the ballast dropping over the sides I guess (as mentioned...not an engineer! Haha). There is some road/rail plant parked up next to Rainford signal box...I'm assuming this is how they're getting equipment and materials to the site. There's a half-hour wait for the return train to Kirkby, so took the opportunity to have a nice pint at The Junction pub opposite Rainford Station!

Llandudno

Established Member
Took a little trip from Kirkby to Rainford and back yesterday to check on the progress of Headbolt Lane. Looks like the earthworks for the site car park and welfare facilities/offices is coming along. Last week, concrete bases had been cast either side of Kirkby Brook for the new station access road bridge...well that now has a deck. Unsure if it's permanent or temporary. On closer Inspection, they're not hammering sheet piles into the embankment, rather short pieces of what look similar to RSJs with pieces of wood in between them. This would be to stop the ballast dropping over the sides I guess (as mentioned...not an engineer! Haha). There is some road/rail plant parked up next to Rainford signal box...I'm assuming this is how they're getting equipment and materials to the site. There's a half-hour wait for the return train to Kirkby, so took the opportunity to have a nice pint at The Junction pub opposite Rainford Station!
Great to hear that Junction pub is still going strong next to Rainford station, it must be 30+ years since I last visited. It was managed by Radio City DJ Norman Thomas and if I remember correctly had a mock booking office window just inside the entrance to the pub.

mcnw35282

Very cosy! I sat outside while the sun was shining. Could see people enjoying meals and the food smelled (sp?) very nice. They have a terrace area too which looked rather nice (didn't check it tho)

Vespa

Established Member
Great to hear that Junction pub is still going strong next to Rainford station, it must be 30+ years since I last visited. It was managed by Radio City DJ Norman Thomas and if I remember correctly had a mock booking office window just inside the entrance to the pub.
Must have a look next time I'm up there, driven past it a while ago but never went in.

snowball

Established Member
On closer Inspection, they're not hammering sheet piles into the embankment, rather short pieces of what look similar to RSJs with pieces of wood in between them.
Often in such a case, even on non-railway works, the pieces of wood are old wooden sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.