• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headbolt Lane progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouse77

On Moderation
I thought the 3 platform layout was created with extention to Skelmersdale and Wigan in mind which would have made Headbolt just a standard 2 platform station then?
Yes but they wouldn't have spent all the extra money in the mean time. It would have been left as passive provision.....like the space left for a footbridge on the new platforms

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
As the opening looms somewhere on the horizon, is there any indication the new station will be named anything more appealing or descriptive than "Headbolt Lane"?

I notice the signalling diagram attachment in post #249 shows Headbolt Lane, but that is only software and presumably easily modified.

(I can't help thinking of Frankenstein's Monster whenever I see 'Headbolt')

Wezz

As the opening looms somewhere on the horizon, is there any indication the new station will be named anything more appealing or descriptive than "Headbolt Lane"?

I notice the signalling diagram attachment in post #249 shows Headbolt Lane, but that is only software and presumably easily modified.

(I can't help thinking of Frankenstein's Monster whenever I see 'Headbolt')
It will be called Headbolt Lane

LPJOHN

I was told by a member of the project team back in March that if things go to plan, then an IPEMU will run to Headbolt Lane on the 2nd May, but I don’t know if this still true.

Wezz

I was told by a member of the project team back in March that if things go to plan, then an IPEMU will run to Headbolt Lane on the 2nd May, but I don’t know if this still true.
There is a test run planned, not sure if it's definitely on the 2nd though.

mcnw35282

The ones at Kirkby station are still bagged up at the moment, but I’m hoping that’s why they’re not running trains from Kirkby until Wednesday…

Got a video of a rail-road machine going under the bridge at Kirkby…but it won’t upload

Attachments

• IMG_6367.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6368.jpeg
    IMG_6368.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6369.jpeg
    IMG_6369.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 113

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yep, horrible name that nobody will know where it is. This definitely should have been thought through more thoroughly.
It's a station for people who live there. The only reason anybody unfamiliar would be travelling to it would be to visit somebody who lives there. The name being naff really isn't that important, and 'Headbolt lane' is arguably better for the people who will be using it than 'Kirkby East' and the potential for confusion with the other station in the town.

Railsigns

Established Member
It's a station for people who live there. The only reason anybody unfamiliar would be travelling to it would be to visit somebody who lives there. The name being naff really isn't that important, and 'Headbolt lane' is arguably better for the people who will be using it than 'Kirkby East' and the potential for confusion with the other station in the town.
The choice of name has at least some potential to affect occasional passengers travelling to intermediate stations along either route towards Kirkby/Headbolt Lane. Some will instantly know that a Kirkby train will take them in the right direction, but won't necessarily know that a Headbolt Lane train will. It's a poor name for a terminal station in my opinion.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The choice of name has at least some potential to affect occasional passengers travelling to intermediate stations along either route towards Kirkby/Headbolt Lane. Some will instantly know that a Kirkby train will take them in the right direction, but won't necessarily know that a Headbolt Lane train will. It's a poor name for a terminal station in my opinion.
What proportion of traffic from either direction heading to Kirkby/headbolt lane will not be familiar with the area? I'd wager >99% of journeys involving Headbolt lane will be local residents.

snowball

Established Member
What proportion of traffic from either direction heading to Kirkby/headbolt lane will not be familiar with the area? I'd wager >99% of journeys involving Headbolt lane will be local residents.
The point, as mentioned in numerous previous discussions of this, is that non-locals coming from the Wigan/Manchester direction, who have had no cause to know where Headbolt Lane is, will find it springing to prominence as a destination of trains they need to catch, where there was previously not even a station to call at.

Geeves

Established Member
Wasn't Headbolt Lane on the original 507 blinds? I can't see Merseyrail having a change of heart now. Folks will get used to it. Most passengers are using apps now anyway.

Djgr

Established Member
Wasn't Headbolt Lane on the original 507 blinds? I can't see Merseyrail having a change of heart now. Folks will get used to it. Most passengers are using apps now anyway.
Names matter though. Most famously Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street versus London Liverpool Street

You'd think so but there was somebody on a similar thread who lived about 1/2 a mile away and had never heard of it.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Names matter though. Most famously Norwich to Liverpool Lime Street versus London Liverpool Street
Which is why having 'Kirkby' station right next to 'Kirkby Headbolt lane' or 'Kirkby East' wasn't a good idea. And there was never going to be a spare couple of million quid to rename Kirkby station to Kirkby west/town/central so better to choose a completely distinct name.

You'd think so but there was somebody on a similar thread who lived about 1/2 a mile away and had never heard of it.
Won't take long until they're familiar with it though.
There's plenty of suburban and tube stations named after roads in London and nobody finds it overly difficult, even when the road is named after a very different town! (Wandsworth Road and Loughboroug Jn, looking at you)

Djgr

Established Member
I can't understand why nobody thought to do an exercise as was recently done for the naming of the forthcoming Liverpool Baltic station. I'm telling you Headbolt Lane would have received "nul points"

snowball

Established Member
Which is why having 'Kirkby' station right next to 'Kirkby Headbolt lane' or 'Kirkby East' wasn't a good idea.
A mere two or three miles away, Maghull and Maghull North coexist perfectly well as far as I'm aware.

Djgr

Established Member
Which is why having 'Kirkby' station right next to 'Kirkby Headbolt lane' or 'Kirkby East' wasn't a good idea. And there was never going to be a spare couple of million quid to rename Kirkby station to Kirkby west/town/central so better to choose a completely distinct name.

Won't take long until they're familiar with it though.
There's plenty of suburban and tube stations named after roads in London and nobody finds it overly difficult, even when the road is named after a very different town! (Wandsworth Road and Loughboroug Jn, looking at you)
Couple of million quid...!!! Well Maghull and Maghull North doesn't seem to have been an issue.

Of course the examples you quote are not terminus stations.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I agree that Headbolt Lane is a dumb name for a terminus/interchange station. The 507s from new never had Headbolt Lane on their destination blinds, but did have Wigan and so did the flippy train indicators at the city centre underground stations. Merseyrail have always wanted to extend to Wigan. Remind me exactly what is stopping the battery 777/1s going all the way to Wigan?

Parjon

Yep, horrible name that nobody will know where it is. This definitely should have been thought through more thoroughly.
It was only ever intended to be a very temporary terminus, and otherwise would be no more contentious than Rice Lane.

If people in Greater Manchester have to get used to a local sounding station name to get where they need to go, you can blame HM Government for slamming the door shut on the Skelmersdale extension.

Why not extend to Wigan? Why should we use our scarce money and resource to do that? We had a perfectly reasonable plan that would have served everyone. Extending to Wigan gives us little to nothing and would only serve to benefit GM. Same goes for even wasting money on changing the station name. If £1 more needs to be spent and there is no benefit to Liverpool, why would we?

HL was an enabling works for a project we were told was a priority, I think we've been conned into wasting enough cash as it is.

Djgr

Established Member
I agree that Headbolt Lane is a dumb name for a terminus/interchange station. The 507s from new never had Headbolt Lane on their destination blinds, but did have Wigan and so did the flippy train indicators at the city centre underground stations. Merseyrail have always wanted to extend to Wigan. Remind me exactly what is stopping the battery 777/1s going all the way to Wigan?
Fundamentally because Rainford onwards is not in Liverpool City Region and therefore somebody else needs to put their hands in their pockets.

paddyb6

Whether you like the name or not, hopefully it'll only be a terminus for maybe 10 years maximum? Merseyrail to Wallgate or Skelmersdale I'd hope is the aspiration.

mcnw35282

Hmm…the plot thickens! Looks like they’ve installed some kind of buffer stop under the bridge! Maybe visions of a test run to HBL were a tad premature!

In other news, the new signal cabinets at Kirkby were open and scaffolding erected next to the new signals so looks like they’re connecting everything up. Just the resurfacing works required now by the access ramp.

Took a couple of photos of the site from the field opposite. Also managed to get a shot of the new station from the footbridge over Headbolt Lane and the railway. Couldn’t get any closer than this without trespassing!
IMG_6381.jpeg
IMG_6381.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6374.jpeg
    IMG_6374.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6378.jpeg
    IMG_6378.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6380.jpeg
    IMG_6380.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6377.jpeg
    IMG_6377.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
That Northern platform at Headbolt looks tiny given most sets are 4 carriage now.
I'd guess it's a matter of perspective, I'd guess the image in question (this one?) was taken heavily zoomed in from the small bridge at 53.492895, -2.878900, 345m away. Although the most recent satellite view I have has a shelter over it, was this taken by drone?
img_6381-jpeg.134232

Although even factoring that in it does look quite small, hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.