• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headbolt Lane progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gricer99

RTT now showing October for passenger running. ECS movements only until then Can that be right?

MattRat

On Moderation
RTT now showing October for passenger running. ECS movements only until then Can that be right?
If it is then there are going to be some very angry passengers. Northern will be back in operation on the line on the 24th July, and Merseyrail themselves have stated August for their own operation (likely taking longer due to also having to work on Kirkby). You can't just tell people something and do something else, they don't tend to like that, especially when someone else can keep to their word.

mcnw35282

The trains work, and the signalling works...the only thing I can see holding the project up now is making the whole station site safe enough for pedestrians.

From the wasteland adjacent to platform 2, still seems a bit of work to do. Signals ML314 (plat 2 starter) and ML310 (plat 1 starter) are both lit up. The platforms look more or less ready. The ticket office is is also nearing completion…bit of rendering and painting to do. The main snagging point seems to be the roads and pathways leading to the station building…and the car park.

Attachments

• IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7073.jpeg
    IMG_7073.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:

AMD

Northern will be back in operation on the line on the 24th July
Not happening. There will be one daily ECS path in between Rainford and Headbolt Lane for route refresher purposes from the 24th, otherwise i've not been given an exact date yet for resumption of passenger services.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The trains work, and the signalling works...the only thing I can see holding the project up now is making the whole station site safe enough for pedestrians.
The first of the seven battery-equipped Class 777s has only just started final testing. Then driver training to Headbolt Lane is necessary before passenger services can commence.
Mayor Steve Rotheram has announced that the first of the Liverpool City Region’s new publicly owned battery powered trains will begin final testing on the network this week.

The fleet is now ready to enter final tests and driver training between Kirkby and the town’s new £80m station at Headbolt Lane, due to open later this year, which will be the second new station opened by Mayor Rotheram since his election.

Skie

Scuttlebutt (or wibble!) is that it'll be just under 2 months until it's open, so late August. Should have a solid date announced soon though.

mcnw35282

Could they open the station without the car park? Passing the site on the top deck of a bus yesterday, it seemed as though the roads, bus stops and drop-off points all look close to being fully ready...and the main footpaths look to be more-or-less in place too. The site offices and cabins have been moved ready for the construction of the 300 space car park.

With trains due to resume on 14th August...I reckon 4 weeks is plenty of time to get the site safe enough for public use.

ste238

Has anyone any footage or stills of the trains on testing between Headbolt and Kirkby? I know the council did some stills at HL but I mean the track between.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It looks like from the 7th of August Northern's Blackburn-Rainford's will turn around at Headbolt Lane instead of just outside Rainford as they do now. Not in passenger service, with RTT showing that as 2nd of October as mentioned above.

mcnw35282

In its press release, Merseyrail states that “a normal timetable will resume” on 14th August. Since only 777/1’s are now allowed to travel beyond Fazakerley, I assumed this meant Headbolt Lane would be in some limited way operational?

…unless the 777/1’s are temporarily terminating at Kirkby?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
…unless the 777/1’s are temporarily terminating at Kirkby?
That looks to be the case, even from Saturday the 12th I found a few Merseyrail trains timetabled in
Then moving to Sunday there's a regular half-hourly service
Then from Monday the 14th there's full service.

jamesst

That looks to be the case, even from Saturday the 12th I found a few Merseyrail trains timetabled in
Then moving to Sunday there's a regular half-hourly service
Then from Monday the 14th there's full service.
Good luck with that!

PeterStoba

Spotted the first Northern train running in to Headbolt Lane this morning around 10am, sat at Platform 3 for a few minutes and then headed back towards Rainford.

27/07 - Also spotted a Class 777 running in to platform 2 so must be ramping up the testing.

Last edited:

mcnw35282

Drove past the new station today. Admittedly, its difficult to see everything from the road...but from what you can see, I don't think there's that much left to do to get the station operational. I know, the trains are a totally different story, and the 300 space car park needs finishing...but I'd say earlier mentions of a mid to late August opening aren't that wide of the mark...

The electronic PIS are lit up and the station building looks to be ready, except for a bit of rendering.

Bus routes 14A and 217 have been re-routed in Tower Hill to run via Bank Lane, Shevington's Lane, Saxon Way, Hall Lane, Shevington's Lane, Pingwood Lane and Headbolt Lane to pick up the new station. Route 20 will still operate to its existing route

Last edited:

darylyates17

Headbolt Lane is now on the signs of Stations on the walls at Liverpool Central but covered up cant be far off now.

mcnw35282

They’ve been there since June.

Drove past the site yesterday…the rendering of the ticket office building looks to be complete and all the lights were on inside. The bus stops and disabled/staff car parking area look complete. Bar landscaping and the 300 space car park…I think it’s almost ready!

Attachments

• IMG_7669.jpeg
    IMG_7669.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 101

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
They’ve been there since June.

Drove past the site yesterday…the rendering of the ticket office building looks to be complete and all the lights were on inside. The bus stops and disabled/staff car parking area look complete. Bar landscaping and the 300 space car park…I think it’s almost ready!
Am I mistaken but is there still an area of rough hardcore still on view?

PeterStoba

Am I mistaken but is there still an area of rough hardcore still on view?
In the foreground, yes, probably just awaiting a bit of soft landscaping. In the background that's the bank of the stream that the new bridge crosses, it'll probably get seeded.

mcnw35282

There's nothing to stop that whole area being fenced off and opening the rest the station tho, is there? The main access roads and footpaths seem to be done.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There's nothing to stop that whole area being fenced off and opening the rest the station tho, is there? The main access roads and footpaths seem to be done.
Is it not the case that stations do not get official opening blessing until all works have been fully completed and approved?

Incidentally, can you name the last station that was officially opened for passenger travel before meeting the specification I mentioned above.

mcnw35282

What a difference a day makes…taken from the site entrance yesterday (got bloody soaked taking these!)

Attachments

• IMG_7737.jpeg
    IMG_7737.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7738.jpeg
    IMG_7738.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7739.jpeg
    IMG_7739.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7740.jpeg
    IMG_7740.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7741.jpeg
    IMG_7741.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7742.jpeg
    IMG_7742.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7743.jpeg
    IMG_7743.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7744.jpeg
    IMG_7744.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

samrammstein

Passenger services are running to Kirkby again from today. Still only 777/0 units so far. Some images from the Kirkby end, all ready to go by the looks of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_130028748.jpg
    IMG_20230814_130028748.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20230814_125807665.jpg
    IMG_20230814_125807665.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 149

karlbbb

Are the 777/0s being particularly cautious with the stopping position or is there still enough third rail into the platform for it to be OK as long as they're stopped by ML311 signal?

Further, is anyone working on OTT and know when we're likely to see Headbolt Lane station and associated signalling/berths appear on the OTT maps? (Or even Railcam for that matter, if anyone is with them).

samrammstein

They are stopping with their nose just off the end of the 3rd rail. The shoes are still well on it. Seems very close to the old stopping position when the buffers were there - it may be the original stop board that they're still using.

Attachments

• IMG_20230814_130309147.jpg
    IMG_20230814_130309147.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 133
Status
Not open for further replies.