• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headbolt Lane progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Very well could be.. but I'll wait for Mr Rotheram and Merseytravel to start shouting about it all over social before I believe it.

Shouting about it for you, so now you can believe it
  • Headbolt Lane station set to open on Thursday 5 October.
  • Liverpool City Region passengers the first to travel on publicly owned battery-powered trains.
  • Battery technology could help deliver network expansion across the Liverpool City Region and beyond.
Liverpool City Region Mayor Steve Rotheram has announced the opening date for Kirkby’s new £80m Headbolt Lane station.

The fully accessible station, the first to be served by the Liverpool City Region’s new publicly owned battery powered trains, is set to open its doors on Thursday 5 October.

In a phased roll-out to ease in the new technology, the station will initially be served by one Merseyrail service per-hour to Liverpool Central, then services will gradually increase to four trains per hour.

Network Rail and its delivery partners will be working to complete some outstanding works including the car park, caused by issues with Buckingham Group. The station will therefore open with limited spaces before reaching full capacity in the coming weeks.

Headbolt Lane will be the second new station opened by the Mayor since his election, and the first delivered under Merseyrail for All, a commitment to expanding the local rail network across the city region.

The battery technology removes the need for a live third rail, which could enable the Merseyrail network to run to places previously inaccessible, including as far as Manchester, Wrexham, Warrington, Preston and Runcorn.

Shouting about it for you

Thank you, surprised it's not all over his twitter feed already in that case

Geeves

Established Member
Looks like the train from Manchester arrives at 38 or 39 with the connection also leaving at... 39. Perfect!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-03-21-46-24-07_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-03-21-46-24-07_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like the train from Manchester arrives at 38 or 39 with the connection also leaving at... 39. Perfect!
You couldn't really make it up!

But it is the railway after all, putting passengers first is the last thing they will do.

AMD

We've (Northern) just had an email through this morning confirming that we are running to Headbolt Lane with passengers tomorrow.

H&I

Nothing showing on RTT from Central yet, but showing an 06:39 arrival from Manchester Victoria with a 06:53 departure to Blackburn.
The first passenger service from Headbolt Lane will be the 05:39 to Liverpool Central, whilst the first passenger service to Headbolt Lane will be the 06:05 from Liverpool Central arriving at 06:27, just before the first Northern service from Manchester Victoria.

Geeves

Established Member
This is good news regards to the connection front. I retract my earlier comments! So its gone from a terrible connection to an amazing one by the power of putting the passenger first.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I hope someone has sent that memo to the merseyrail guards to hold the train for any passengers to make the connection.

EngFocus

05:39 departure from Headbolt Lane to Central, RTT states "Starts as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 777 tonnes, changes en route"

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
05:39 departure from Headbolt Lane to Central, RTT states "Starts as Diesel locomotive, trailing load 777 tonnes, changes en route"
Not too different from Class 331 ran journeys being "Pathed as Electric locomotive, trailing load 331 tonnes"
I think it's nothing but things being done to save time, everyone reading it probably knows what it means.

zwk500

Veteran Member
That's a quirk of the data feed. No timing load uses a trailing load of 777 tonnes.

(I suspect it's because the data was originally set up for loco-hauled trains and MUs fudged into it. When it was internal only to TRUST it made no difference, and now it's baked in so costs too much to change).

Status
Not open for further replies.