• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Healey Mills Happenings?

Trinzilla

Just looking over a Facebook post and activity seems to be taking place at Healey Mills with 66799 delivering some assembled Rail.
to Quote

Life returns to the Mill on a smaller scale.
6 roads to go in on departures and 4 long roads next to P Line. We'll that's the plan if the money lasts.
All track from Church Fenton area .
Minor obstacles like finding a cannabis farm.

Some of the rumours in the comments suggest it to be stabling for Azumas. Interested to know if anyone else had heard anything?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
Northern opened some extra sidings in Wakefield for the upgrade works around Neville Hill. It would make sense that somewhere near by was to hold the Azumas that will also need to stable somewhere while Neville Hill is detached from the outside world, putting two and two together and making five maybe

fishwomp

Some of the rumours in the comments suggest it to be stabling for Azumas. Interested to know if anyone else had heard anything?
Makes sense given Neville Hill works coming up. I'll look forward to seeing it, even if a temporary stabling point. It's been so sad to see it returning to nature aka getting trees fully grown though the track.

My memories of it were long after the marshalling yard era, but it was a busy depot, with a great vantage point for spotting on a raised lump of land on the embankment, next to the public footpath.

class 9

I read a while ago that part of the yard would be used in connection with the TRU.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Makes sense to use it for things like temporary stabling, and for stuff associated with the big rebuild coming up a few miles up the line. As the site is on a flood plain it isn't really suitable to be sold off for housing without some expensive work to make it safe from the Calder bursting its banks. The current arrangement of the running lines would also make (non-railway) redevelopment difficult, as the up and down lines run on opposite sides of the yard which isolates all the space in the middle.

stibz

Hi, Well I spoke to a couple of the contractors down at Ravensthorpe station last week, one guy sat in his car, said he was in the office normally, said when I asked about work at healey mills and possible out station for Nev Hill, he said " No nothing to do with Neville Hill, Huddersfield when the station is closed and somewhere for the Units and for engineers trains when it all gets busy with the works in the area" , So I guess it's a case of wait & see, another train in the yard this week with another load of track panels to unload there. It was a bit crazy the route it took from Doncaster Belmont. 6G79 set off 0358, healey mills B Jn 04.59, Hall Royd jn 05.26, Rochdale 05.38. Stalybridge 06.28. Huddersfield 07.37. Healey Mills SS 07.55 so it went round the houses to get back ht destination lol crazy

stibz

Still one engineers train a week going into yard dropping track sections off, getting to be quiet a stack of them now, happens every Tuesday morning.

GardenRail

All the track is old stuff, rough cut with a blow torch. It's come from a re-lay job somewhere. No sign of any tree clearance for new sidings. Also, the signalling does not allow for stuff to get out of the yard at that side. You can only go in from the Ravensthorpe end and depart towards Horbury. There are no plans for any new signalling. The Staging Sidings area is the same, overgrown, and the signalling would not allow anything other than entering from Ravensthorpe and departing towards Horbury.

Is it not just second hand track been stored for the sidings at Huddersfield maybe?

Last edited:

stibz

All the track is old stuff, rough cut with a blow torch. It's come from a re-lay job somewhere. No sign of any tree clearance for new sidings. Also, the signalling does not allow for stuff to get out of the yard at that side. You can only go in from the Ravensthorpe end and depart towards Horbury. There are no plans for any new signalling. The Staging Sidings area is the same, overgrown, and the signalling would not allow anything other than entering from Ravensthorpe and departing towards Horbury.

Is it not just second hand track been stored for the sidings at Huddersfield maybe?
IF you had seen my drone photo's, you would have seen the tree clearance they did, more to do. Plus I spoke to a Guy working on the TRU, he said the track was for healey mills work. I'm local so know the layout at healey mills, walked all over the area many time in the past.

GardenRail

IF you had seen my drone photo's, you would have seen the tree clearance they did, more to do. Plus I spoke to a Guy working on the TRU, he said the track was for healey mills work. I'm local so know the layout at healey mills, walked all over the area many time in the past.
I signal the place from York. Nobody knows what it's for. Wouldn't be the first time that the public know more than the staff though.

Last edited:

NoOldEngine

Had a look at Healey Mills yard the other day and a large part of the yard has been cleared of vegetation now. Spotted some orange workers in the distance towards the Healey entrance to the yard.

stibz

An even larger part of the yard has been cleared, since Fri 7th Oct 23, right upto the road bridge that we stand on for photo's. I'll get a pic tomorrow.Healey Mills Yd 11.10.23.jpg

Last edited:

mrpozidrive

Intrigued - took a trip (pretty local) down there today hoping to catch 'em at it! No luck there but some additional photos from the bridge.

Attachments

• P1010985.JPG
    P1010985.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 283
  • P1010986.JPG
    P1010986.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 271
  • P1010987.JPG
    P1010987.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 275
  • P1010988.JPG
    P1010988.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 269
  • P1010989.JPG
    P1010989.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 279
  • P1010990.JPG
    P1010990.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 272
  • P1010992.JPG
    P1010992.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 289

NoOldEngine

They should give that track to a heritage railway.

The site was cleared with exception of those lines and a Network Rail signal box near to the west of the yard. But take a closer look and the sleepers are many are damaged or rotting.

Geeves

Established Member
They should give that track to a heritage railway.

The majority of the PW staff at various preserved railways seem to be retired with no new volunteers there for it's been the case for a while that concrete sleepers are the way forward. I think some are even using welded rails now. They probably could use the rails though maybe.

Anyway good to see life at the yard again. Has anyone any clue as what is to be stabled here?

Ploughman

Established Member
Having worked in Healey mills over the years I know that the state of the track was totally shot. (last time I was in there was 2010)
I do not think there will be any recoverable timber sleepers in the ground.
Ass for rail, most of the track will be well worn BH 95lb, some of which may be suitable for reuse, but I would think the only decent recoverable item will be S+C baseplates and chairs.

Is road access still restricted by the height limit of the bridge near the old signal box? Or has a new access been made?

Many preserved lines do use welded rails, either to create 120ft rails to reduce the amount of joints, or more likely to create CWR.
In the case of the NYMR we have a number of stretches of CWR on G44 or Steel sleepers and while using new FB113A rails in general we also have some CEN 60 as it was available at a decent price.
Track in stations, however, tends to be BH on timber too maintain the heritage feel for the public. Even then new materials and rails have been used.

Pinza-C55

Having worked in Healey mills over the years I know that the state of the track was totally shot. (last time I was in there was 2010)
Ass for rail, most of the track will be well worn BH 95lb, some of which may be suitable for reuse, but I would think the only decent recoverable item will be S+C baseplates and chairs.

Is road access still restricted by the height limit of the bridge near the old signal box? Or has a new access been made?

Many preserved lines do use welded rails, either to create 120ft rails to reduce the amount of joints, or more likely to create CWR.
In the case of the NYMR we have a number of stretches of CWR on G44 or Steel sleepers and while using new FB113A rails in general we also have some CEN 60 as it was available at a decent price.
Track in stations, however, tends to be BH on timber too maintain the heritage feel for the public. Even then new materials and rails have been used.

I could see some old style flat bottomed rails spiked to the sleepers. But even if most of the sleepers are poor there'll be a ton of useful components.
I used to volunteer for Peak Rail 1988-1991 and we did a track recovery job at Hams Hall power station. I think maybe 20% of the sleepers were usable.

stibz

Hi, Nothing has changed access wise, still only way in is under the bridge at signal box end. Yard all fenced off now, no access even to fishing pond anymore.
As you might have seen from my photo's & reports, they have deposited a large number of "Old but new looking" track sections, from elsewhere, we are told to make some new sidings for stabling units, during the large local transpennine route upgrade. (From Network rail contractors info ( Bam Nuttall), it's a case of wait and see what happens next at healey mills, now they have cleared the trees in the yard.

IF they start pulling track up in the yard to scrap it, I'll be one of the first to get photo's and report it here.

Last edited:

NoOldEngine

East side of the Healey Mills site at Stores Hill was blocked after loads of domestic and industrial waste was dumped in front of the gate. So that entrance was blocked a while back. That means the only way into the site is via Healey Road under the bridge.

All buildings except the Network Rail signal box were removed a while back along with the flood light masts and associated lighting and signalling electrical equipment. Possibly stop copper theft. The Public Right of Way along the north side of the site were the (Steam ?) water tanks used to be is still present, so a large part of the yard can be observed in winter when the grass and trees have cleared.

Zak bevington

I’m working here this week. Work is underway to put new sidings in. I believe for the RHTT trains & lner

Attachments

• IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:

stibz

I’m working here this week. Work is underway to put new sidings in. I believe for the RHTT trains & lner
Thanks very much for updating us Zak, much appreciated. I Had a little ride down this morning, I'm only a mile away, could not see much going on, sadly. Nothing worth a photograph anyway.

Last edited:

Zak bevington

Thanks very much for updating us Zak, much appreciated. I Had a little ride down this morning, I'm only a mile away, could not see much going on, sadly. Nothing worth a photograph anyway.
No problem, happy to help. I won’t be there every week sadly, I think I’m in York next week. However if I am ever back there, I’ll do my best to update as much as I can.

stibz

Today 66763 with 6G78 engineers train, in healey mills ss (that's the eastbound loop), they where unloading old ballast, probably for the compound they are making opposite the old HM box. Also lifting track on the cleared of trees area, plenty of vehicles, guys and machines around.

Zak bevington

Today 66763 with 6G78 engineers train, in healey mills ss (that's the eastbound loop), they where unloading old ballast, probably for the compound they are making opposite the old HM box. Also lifting track on the cleared of trees area, plenty of vehicles, guys and machines around.
Yes that’s correct I’ve been working here this week as well as last. Been unable to get any photos though, it’s a really busy work environment at the minute

stibz

Is the overturned parcels van still at Healey Mills?
Hard to tell with all the trees, even with binoculars, can't see those brine tanks that where there for years, things might have been cut up. I'll have a better look next week.
Edit 16/12/23 Had a look with drone, nothing to see. All gone.

Last edited: