• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Healey mills yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just passed around Healey Mills Yard heading East for the first time in a while, I noticed that most of the buildings of the former TMD have been or are in the process of being demolished. In addition a few of the long-rusted sidings close to the site of the former shed have been dismantled. Does anyone know what's brought this on (structural issues perhaps?)?

It would seem unlikely that the land has been sold for development or is in the process of being sold due to the fact that it is largely isolated from the outside world by the two lines of the Calder Valley line which both skirt around the outside of the vast site. That being said, if that was addressed the site is huge and a sale would probably help to pay down Network Rail's debts!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eeveevolve

Just passed around Healey Mills Yard heading East for the first time in a while, I noticed that most of the buildings of the former TMD have been or are in the process of being demolished. In addition a few of the long-rusted sidings close to the site of the former shed have been dismantled. Does anyone know what's brought this on (structural issues perhaps?)?

It would seem unlikely that the land has been sold for development or is in the process of being sold due to the fact that it is largely isolated from the outside world by the two lines of the Calder Valley line which both skirt around the outside of the vast site. That being said, if that was addressed the site is huge and a sale would probably help to pay down Network Rail's debts!

As a commuter along that stretch I would like to know too. Nothing on any internet searches I do every so often.

BTW, if you happen to be on the 17:50 back to hudds, hello!

matacaster

On Moderation
Went past Healey mills yesterday. 1*rake of vtg wagons, nothing else - not sure whether they can escape or not. Much trackwork removed. Just stubs left from point work.

Anyone know what plans abound?

Will the main line be reinstated to avoid the detour around the old marshalling yard?

lejog

Established Member
Not when its on the River Calder's flood plain.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Housing estate is the future

Given the size of the site, an entire new town could be built there, as long as the flood issues can be dealt with.

By the way, I started a thread discussing the future of the site only a couple of weeks ago, is there any chance they could be merged?

EDIT:Report made as per forum rules.

Last edited:

lejog

Established Member
Solving the River Calder's flood issues would be miraculous.

The flood maps for the Calder Valley are currently being revaluted after many of the "1 in 1000year" probability areas flooded on Boxing Day. But as you can see from the flood maps part of the site is already in the Flood Zone 3 where major development would be banned and the rest is currently in Flood Zone 2 ("1 in 1000yr") where it would be discouraged.

I've checked the planning applications for the site. DB Schenker made one application for demolishing a building in December 15, but there have been no applications for new development (railway related or none railway related).

However the Case Officer's Report shows the land is designated as Green Belt.

In the circumstances I think development is highly unlikely.

lejog

Established Member
Is the Pope a Catholic? Who in their right mind would buy a house on land that has flooded 3 times in seven years?

No pictures of the latest floods but these two pages shows the scene in January 2008 which was a very minor flood indeed compared with those of 2012 and 2015.

http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/healey_mills_08.htm

http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/healey_mills_(2)_08.htm

Edit: Despite this it seems that Wakefield Council's Planning Policy at least for now is to encourage the reuse of this land as freight sidings.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is the Pope a Catholic? Who in their right mind would buy a house on land that has flooded 3 times in seven years?

No pictures of the latest floods but these two pages shows the scene in January 2008 which was a very minor flood indeed compared with those of 2012 and 2015.

http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/healey_mills_08.htm

http://www.phantasrail.co.uk/healey_mills_(2)_08.htm

Edit: Despite this it seems that Wakefield Council's Planning Policy at least for now is to encourage the reuse of this land as freight sidings.

I suppose using the land in the same way it's been used for the last 50 years is less controversial than any change of use! Failing that, perhaps the best option is to reunite the two running lines on one side of the site and let nature reclaim the rest. Parts of the site are already home to a fair number of deer!

kevconnor

Solving the River Calder's flood issues would be miraculous.

The flood maps for the Calder Valley are currently being revaluted after many of the "1 in 1000year" probability areas flooded on Boxing Day. But as you can see from the flood maps part of the site is already in the Flood Zone 3 where major development would be banned and the rest is currently in Flood Zone 2 ("1 in 1000yr") where it would be discouraged.

I've checked the planning applications for the site. DB Schenker made one application for demolishing a building in December 15, but there have been no applications for new development (railway related or none railway related).

However the Case Officer's Report shows the land is designated as Green Belt.

In the circumstances I think development is highly unlikely.

Letting it return to nature to allow flooding here rather than a more built up area may be the most sensible long term use.

Condor7

As an aside, the latest issue of VideoTrack has a decent feature on Healey Mills both then and now.

I guess as the site has flooded before and likely to again they will not use the yard anymore, removing the track would make life easier in terms of the network map of lines that need to be maintained

Status
Not open for further replies.