• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

John OSullivan

Good afternoon all, this is my first post .

I’m currently awaiting an email for the GWR trainee driver vacancies after passing the 2 online assessments.
I’m closest to the Bristol area and I’m aware at least one of you has recently had an email for the assessment in early February, congratulations on that .

My question is that I do suffer from quite poor hearing, I have been fitted with hearing aids but I never wear them, I’m only 38.
Would my hearing loss be a complete no no in regards to becoming a successful train driver, or are there allowances for such a disability?

Your answers are most appreciated, happy new year to you all .

John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would have thought that as long as you could hear and understand what someone is saying to you over the radio and the passcom and if you can hear the various alarm systems in the cab then in theory there should not be any problem?

Fearless

Hello John, and welcome!

Separate from your job application, I would just urge you not to be embarrassed by your hearing aids. It really doesn't matter these days. It needn't be seen as a sign of old age, or lack of ability, so just go ahead and wear them like I wear my specs!

Wishing you all the best of luck with your career - I longed to be a train driver but dang it, they wouldn't take anyone wearing specs back in those days!

trainmania100

Established Member
I have hearing aids and wish you the very best in getting the job you hope for.
I wanted to go down the driver path but I am concerned with jobs where one is required at times to use a phone, walky yalky etc, to speak to signaller perhaps especially when plenty of background noise. Have hard time hearing my phone myself with volume on max, good luck ;)

John OSullivan

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, I’ve always thought that my hearing isn’t that bad, it’s just conversations that I can sometimes struggle to keep up with, I can hear alarms, buzzers, anything like that I can imaging I won’t have an issue with.

Perhaps I might have a struggle comprehending what is said over walkietalkie but that’s about it I’d say.

Is there a hearing test as part of the process?
What is the requirements of any such test if you are hard of hearing, would I be allowed to wear my aids, or perhaps try without and then with if I have an issue?

John

danbarnstall

The document you need to study is here https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GORT3451 Iss 4.pdf

It states:
Hearing assessments should take account of the driver’s normal working environment, including ambient noise levels inside and outside the driving cab and the communications equipment that may be required to be used. The following values should be used as guidelines to assess a person’s audiometric test results:
a) The hearing deficiency should not be higher than 40 dB at 0.5 and 1 kHz.
b) The hearing deficiency should not be higher than 45 dB at 2 kHz for the ear with the worst air conduction of sound.

The section below then also goes on to say:
Railway undertakings may decide that more stringent hearing values than those shown above are necessary to control any potential risks that may have been identified by an assessment of the required physical and sensory functions for a particular driving role. This may be particularly appropriate where an individual’s duties require them to be on or near the line. It should be noted that the widely adopted hearing standard for persons who are required to maintain their own safety when working on or near the line is that hearing loss should not exceed 30 dB averaged over frequencies 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 kHz in either ear.
A.1.18

Crazyb

I take it you have not had a medical yet.

They will give you a hearing test at a medical center in a sound booth, with bleeps at different sound levels.

I have a touch of tinnitus, but I can hear them sounds from a tone audiometry that measures the different frequencies. I have one ear better than the other.......I'm sure you can get these done at Spec Savers or Boots if you are really worried before a medical.

There are drivers and 1 at my depot with hearing aids.....

Marx

I loss my sense of smell due to a head injury does anyone know if that will affect me TIA ?

EssexGonzo

From personal experience, I would recommend wholeheartedly that you start wearing them and build confidence from and familiarity with them. Your hearing won't get better. It will probably deteriorate.

I was also a "denier" - "my hearing's OK, I can get most things but there's nothing to see here". All because I was worried about the perception of others seeing these things behind my ears.

I started with the beige behind-the-ear items on the NHS. They worked well but I was still self-conscious. I scraped together enough money for some in-ear Phonak items from Boots - and have never looked back. They work REALLY well, they're not obvious and the back-up from Boots is excellent. Not cheap but a far better use of money than for, say, the deposit on another car or a nice holiday. I wear them pretty much all the time now and am involved in conversations that I never used to be able to pick up. The TV is also now at a normal volume! :D

I have a Police officer friend who wears hearing aids and it's never stopped him progressing in his career so if you need them, then wear them. If you want the job then it's got to be worth it surely? Good luck!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
What type of hearing loss do you have: conductive, sensorineural or mixed?

Do you have a high frequency, low frequency or flat hearing loss?

Presume surgery is out of the question?

Do you possess NHS or private hearing aids and are they "over the ear" or "in the ear"?

Yes it is important that you start wearing them and ensure they are serviced regularly.

Also an important consideration: - do you know if they are set on "linear" mode or do they have compression (e.g. WDRC?). The reason I ask is that the rationale for WDRC is so that the hearing aid can amplify soft sounds "more" and reduce the intensity of loud sounds - perhaps a driver on here can advise on how loud/soft are the warning sounds inside the cab

ComUtoR

Established Member
- perhaps a driver on here can advise on how loud/soft are the warning sounds inside the cab

The required standards have been posted upthread. How loud or soft the noises are in the cab are not significant. Hearing tests are available online and are ver similar to what happens at the medical.

Hearing aids are allowed and +2 for having Drivers at my TOC with them.

GG96LFC

When I did my Apprentice Driver tests with Virgin (over a year ago so my memory might be a bit cloudy) one of the tests was a test where you had to listen to a couple of different sounds at different volumes and pitches. If GWR do the same/similar test, and you pass it, I see no reason why they would think your hearing would affect your driving performance.

Heaps92

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, I’ve always thought that my hearing isn’t that bad, it’s just conversations that I can sometimes struggle to keep up with, I can hear alarms, buzzers, anything like that I can imaging I won’t have an issue with.

Perhaps I might have a struggle comprehending what is said over walkietalkie but that’s about it I’d say.

Is there a hearing test as part of the process?
What is the requirements of any such test if you are hard of hearing, would I be allowed to wear my aids, or perhaps try without and then with if I have an issue?

John
When you have a medical you will have a hearing test

Llanigraham

On Moderation
When you have a medical you will have a hearing test

I don't know what tests the TOCs use, but from experience the Network Rail tests did not work with my hearing aid and they had to try to use different equipment (and failed)
My partial deafness was actually discovered at an NR medical and it was they that advised me to visit my GP and get it dealt with. It was no problem in the signalling grades.

As has been said, wear your aids at all times. Even the standard NHS ones are now excellent and hardly visible. Also ensure that you get them tested and serviced at least annually.

dctraindriver

The required standards have been posted upthread. How loud or soft the noises are in the cab are not significant. Hearing tests are available online and are ver similar to what happens at the medical.

Hearing aids are allowed and +2 for having Drivers at my TOC with them.

Yep, couple of drivers have hearing aids at my TOC too so you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.