• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hearing standards for train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boundforglory

Hi,

I'd love to become a train driver (who wouldn't eh?) but was wondering what the requirements are for hearing standards? I'm 38, have listened to a lot of loud music over my life, and recently found out from a free hearing test my hearing shows some loss (mild-moderate at 2kHz, moderate at 4kHz).

Can anyone tell me whether this is likely to be an issue if I ever manage to make it to a medical?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iWanabee

If you use the search function, there is a medical guide specifying the limits for the hearing test.

I however failed my hearing medical by -5db in my right ear in the 2k range. I've now passed the medical with hearing aid use and start in July. So if it's a minor fail, then the toc may allow you to wear hearing aid/s. But they do have to be railway approved aids. Search for RSSB hearing aids in Google.

Boundforglory

Thanks for the reply, and congratulations on passing. I'm relieved to hear (ho!) that hearing aids may be allowed if it's only minor hearing loss. Think I'll get a full hearing test at some point soon, see what the damage is. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.