• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of England 3 in 7 Rover questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a Heart of England 3 in 7 Rover next week but I have a few questions.

1. Can the ticket be used on any three days, consecutive days or either?

2. Can I buy a Plusbus ticket, probably Tamworth, for some/all of the days that I use the rover? If so, how?

3. Are there any railway-related places of interest in the validity area?

4. Recommended overnight accommodation near main stations, especially budget hotels like Travelodge?

5. Recommended places to eat near main stations, ideally not too busy?

6. Am I right in thinking there is an FGW route between Hereford and Oxford?
Would the rover be valid?
What rolling stock do they use?
How often do they run?
How long is the journey?
What are my options for getting to/from Hereford/Oxford from
Birmingham/Tamworth?

7. What rolling stock do EMT use between Derby/Nottingham and Leicester and how often?

8. Anything else that I need to know, ticket restrictions, etc? (I'm aware that I can't use the rover before 0900 on weekdays).

Apologises for all my questions, and many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sn1975

As I have decided to do this instead of a weeks' holiday due to lack of money, instead of just travelling all day and then returning home as I normally would when I use a West Midlands Day Ranger, I've decided to look at having at least one, but maybe two or three nights away from home.

I've got a copy of the validity map, but there are a few routes on the extremities I'm not familiar with as I spend most of my trips on or near the WCML - these are mainly the southern part between Hereford and Oxford and the East Midlands area but also the Marches line between Crewe and Hereford.

With regards to restrictions, my main concerns are if there are any restrictions in the evening peak and if there are any TOC's or routes on the map that don't allow the ranger to be used.

Can I buy a separate Plusbus ticket on the day of travel by presenting the rover at the ticket office?

Thanks again.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
1. Can the ticket be used on any three days, consecutive days or either?

Yes, you can use it for 3 consecutive days, or any 3 days in 7. You get an additional card with 3 boxes that you date for each day you use it.

2. Can I buy a Plusbus ticket, probably Tamworth, for some/all of the days that I use the rover? If so, how?

Yes, as you hold a valid rail ticket for the area.

7. What rolling stock do EMT use between Derby/Nottingham and Leicester and how often?

Services from Derby to Leicester use Meridians for the majority of the day.

From Nottingham, most fast services (calling at East Midlands Parkway only) use HSTs, while stoppers (calling at Beeston and Loughborough) use Meridians. The slow Ivanhoe local services use a mix of 153, 156 and 158.

Timetable information can be obtained from National Rail or the full timetables on the East Midlands Trains website.

8. Anything else that I need to know, ticket restrictions, etc? (I'm aware that I can't use the rover before 0900 on weekdays).

No, so long as you don't travel before 0900 you'll be fine. For complete peace of mind, print and carry a copy of the rover map from National Rail - just in case you encounter a guard who hasn't heard of it (rare, but it does happen).

louis97

Established Member
6. Am I right in thinking there is an FGW route between Hereford and Oxford?
Would the rover be valid?
What rolling stock do they use?
How often do they run?
How long is the journey?
What are my options for getting to/from Hereford/Oxford from
Birmingham/Tamworth?

Yes you are correct, the rover is valid along that route. The services are operated using 180s (Weekday only) and Turbos with the HSTs on the Hereford services, and some peak workings. Generally the service is hourly to Moreton-in-Marsh, with most continuing to/from Worcester/Great Malvern/Hereford. Click here for the timetable, anything with the H in a blue circle is a HST, anything marked as having Wifi available is booked a 180, everything else is booked a Turbo. (Note though that the 1551 ex Pad has both Wifi and a HST symbol, it is actually a 180). The journey time is about an hour and 20 minutes, but it does vary a bit.

For getting to Hereford from Birmingham/Tamworth you only really have one direct option, which is the hourly London Midland service at xx49 from New Street. Of course theres nothing stopping you going to Shrewsbury and then down from there via Ludlow.

Getting to Oxford from Birmingham/Tamworth you can either go down the WCML to Nuneaton, along to Coventry and then a Crosscountry service to Oxford, or you could go to New Street and get a CrossCountry service from there, either non-stop via Dorridge or via Birmingham International and Coventry to Leamington

sn1975

Sorry - I've just re-checked the London Midland map and noticed that Cheltenham Spa is on there

Many thanks for the replies - is the rover valid for travel to Cheltenham Spa - I had thought about travelling on an HST between Cheltenham and possibly Derby but I'm not sure now if Cheltenham is allowed?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
If it's on the map then you can travel the route.

Not sure the plusbus advice given is correct though, I thought you had to have a ticket to a named station (but don't know how rigidly this is enforced).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Cheltenham to Derby is fine as the whole route is on the Rover map.

With regard to the PlusBus advice, I believe that trentside is correct, however I have also heard of plenty of reports from people who have been refused sale for the reason stated in the post above, so it might be a struggle and you might need to shop around.

D6975

Established Member
Sorry - I've just re-checked the London Midland map and noticed that Cheltenham Spa is on there

Many thanks for the replies - is the rover valid for travel to Cheltenham Spa - I had thought about travelling on an HST between Cheltenham and possibly Derby but I'm not sure now if Cheltenham is allowed?

Thanks again.

Cheltenham - Birmingham only used to be valid via Worcester on a HOE, XC somehow managed to wriggle out of accepting it on direct services. The validity changed quite some time ago though to allow direct travel - I think it coincided with the CF - Notts route being switched to not go via Worcester any more, or possibly with Virgin losing the XC franchise.

It used to be a pain in the a**e for me as I regulary used to use 3 day Wessex + 3 day Heart to go bashing in the midlands on a weekend.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....2. Can I buy a Plusbus ticket, probably Tamworth, for some/all of the days that I use the rover? If so, how?

Officially, no. The information provided in 'The Manual' is that you may have a PlusBus Day ticket for Singles (walk-up and Advance) and Day Returns, one or two PlusBus Day tickets for period returns, or a PlusBus Season for Season Tickets. Rovers and Rangers are not mentioned. This is not to say staff won't issue them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.