• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wales Line closed until August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Even ignoring the fact that a virtually identical situation occurred during BR times and they did as @ChiefPlanner said, there is a reason that the Heart of Wales line wasn't closed during the Beeching days. I suspect any attempted closure of the Heart of Wales Line would have been hotly contested, just as the Settle-Carlisle stitchup was.

I'm under no illusions over BR's foibles, but at least they didn't do what TfW did by simply deciding to give up on operating a line that they'd rather not have to run. That TfW decided to abandon the Heart of Wales line has nothing to do with my views on the organisation more generally.
I think this is your view and you're entitled to it, but it doesn't bear much relation to the current practical and financial reality. Nor is the Heart of Wales line a priority for additional physical resources when they're scarce.

In particular, the reason the line wasn't closed was purely political. Many far more economically self-sustaining routes were in fact lost.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I think this is your view and you're entitled to it, but it doesn't bear much relation to the current practical and financial reality. Nor is the Heart of Wales line a priority for additional physical resources when they're scarce.

In particular, the reason the line wasn't closed was purely political. Many far more economically self-sustaining routes were in fact lost.
Has TfW suffered markedly high absence rates like Northern? I've not heard of any such issues. And either way, it can hardly be a stretch to operate the 'Sunday plus a bit' service they're currently running.

That a line is a financial basketcase is not an excuse for refusing to make use of available resources to serve it. The correct procedure to stop serving a line is to go through closure proceedings. Closure by stealth is a nasty practice that cannot and should not be tolerated merely on the basis that a line is a financial basketcase or an operational nuisance.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Has TfW suffered markedly high absence rates like Northern? I've not heard of any such issues. And either way, it can hardly be a stretch to operate the 'Sunday plus a bit' service they're currently running.

That a line is a financial basketcase is not an excuse for refusing to make use of available resources to serve it. The correct procedure to stop serving a line is to go through closure proceedings. Closure by stealth is a nasty practice that cannot and should not be tolerated merely on the basis that a line is a financial basketcase or an operational nuisance.
I'd say this is all going off topic. Personnel resources are scarce everywhere, rolling stock maintenance and fuel very pricey. That the cost of your proposed interventions is measurably greater is undiable. Your argument may be that this would be money well spent, my argument is that quite enough money is being spent already to put the arrangements that are in place into practice. Your argument may be that this brings large benefits, mine is that this brings close to zero benefits. Nobody is arguing for closure by stealth now, but your argument is that the line should be singled out for special treatment, something that I reject.

All such arrangements are on a temporary basis, a point with which there is precisely no disagreement from anyone. I haven't spotted your posting of this deeply unhappy view with regards to the Marston Vale line, which could have a train service but doesn't, and hasn't since March, and will continue to not do so for the whole foreseeable future? Indeed, for weeks it didn't even have a rail replacement bus service, but I didn't spot any criticism on this front?

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Updated Journey Check Info:

Cancellations to services between Llanelli and Llanwrtyd

Due to urgent repairs to a bridge between Llanelli and Llanwrtyd the line is blocked.

Impact
Train services running through these stations will be cancelled or terminated at and started back from Llanwrtyd. Disruption is expected until 23:59 03/08.

Customer Advice
Train services will operate between Shrewsbury & Llanwrtyd Wells in both directions.

Road transport will operate between Llanwrtyd Wells and Swansea, in both directions.

Trains and road transport will connect, respectively, at Llanwrtyd Wells.

Replacement road transport services are conveying passengers between Llanwrtyd and Swansea via Llandeilo and Llanelli in both directions until further notice. Road transport will depart Swansea at 10:11 and 14:25, respectively, serving all stations to Llanwrtyd Wells. Buses will connect with trains, which depart Llanwrtyd Wells for Shrewsbury at 13:19 and 17:29, respectively.

Road transport will connect out of terminating southbound train services at Llanwrtyd Wells. Buses will depart 13:24 and 17:34, respectively, serving all stations to Swansea.

Due to limited station road access at some stations, a minibus and coach will work in tandem. It may be necessary to change vehicles.

Facemasks/coverings are a legal requirement on public transport in England (with exemptions) and may be required by bus operators in Wales.

Capacity is restricted due to social distancing requirements. Cycles cannot normally be carried on replacement road transport.

Additional Information
A rail-over-river bridge at Pontarddulais has found to have unsafe, worn timbers. The line will remain closed between Hendy Junction and Pontarddulais until all safety repairs are completed.

For operational reasons, buses will replace trains between Swansea and Llanwrtyd Wells.

Further Information
Trafnidiaeth Cymru/Transport for Wales
If you have experienced a delay or cancellation, please contact our customer relations team or pick up a form from your nearest ticket office. You can email us using: [email protected]

Last Updated:13/07/2020 14:42

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The re-opening information of the route was updated to show closed until end of day August 1st and NRE showing normal from tomorrow, August 2nd. However, have discovered that the pigeon post in that area has failed to deliver information. The trains ran today.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The re-opening information of the route was updated to show closed until end of day August 1st and NRE showing normal from tomorrow, August 2nd. However, have discovered that the pigeon post in that area has failed to deliver information. The trains ran today.

NRE announcing today that the route is now fully open, a day late with this info

Status
Not open for further replies.