• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heart of Wales Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

In July I'm travelling from Glasgow to Haverfordwest.
I've never been on the Heart of Wales line and can travel via it a)If I get up hideously early and b) am happy with the couple of extra hours it takes.
The question is - is it worth it? Is it especially beautiful?
Opinions please!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It's not especially beautiful. Certainly not comparable to the West Highland or Settle and Carlisle for example.

It is mostly rural of a normal variety ie fields, hedges, trees, streams. The section from before Knighton to beyond Sugar Loaf is the hilliest and woodiest. Several hours in a 153 when I have done it, very few seats with decent window views whilst at the same time having decent leg room. Buy drinks and snacks before you board.

kje7812

Last time I traveled on it, it was suffering from an overgrown lineside. I don't know if there has been much clearance work but some sections were quite bad.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any recent videos available taken from the driver's cab to give the OP a better idea? Last time I did part of the HoW line, it was a bit like being in a "green tunnel" after branching off from the 'main line' at Craven Arms.

Iskra

Established Member
It's not especially beautiful. Certainly not comparable to the West Highland or Settle and Carlisle for example.

It is mostly rural of a normal variety ie fields, hedges, trees, streams. The section from before Knighton to beyond Sugar Loaf is the hilliest and woodiest. Several hours in a 153 when I have done it, very few seats with decent window views whilst at the same time having decent leg room. Buy drinks and snacks before you board.
I'd agree with this, it's a pleasant line but nothing outstanding and it is spoilt by the rolling stock used on the route. I'd compare it to the Bentham Line, but longer.

DelW

Established Member
It's a throwback to another era, probably about the 1950s - a little train trundling along, stopping at halts in little villages, picking up people who often know each other, and the guard, and dropping them off to do their shopping or errands in the small towns along the route.

The valleys around Knighton and south of Sugar Loaf are the most scenic, though the rest is pleasant rolling countryside. There has been some lineside clearance done during last year's closure, to reduce the effects of leaf fall. I haven't travelled the line since, so I don't know if that has improved the views. In good weather there can be wide open views, but in bad weather you won't see much beyond the carriage windows.

Most of the stations are well kept, as the line's user group has local station adopters who keep them tidy, often with floral displays in summer.

Rolling stock isn't great - the 150s are reasonably spacious but the seats are poorly aligned with windows, while the 153s have poor legroom, especially if you end up sat over a heater.

Train crews swap units where the services cross, either at Llanwrtyd or Llandrindod. At one time there was a regular trolley service south of there, but I certainly wouldn't rely on that still being the case.

Personally, I think it's well worth riding along just for the unusual experience of a long cross-country branch line, but I can see why others might not agree.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It's a throwback to another era, probably about the 1950s - a little train trundling along, stopping at halts in little villages, picking up people who often know each other, and the guard, and dropping them off to do their shopping or errands in the small towns along the route.

The valleys around Knighton and south of Sugar Loaf are the most scenic, though the rest is pleasant rolling countryside. There has been some lineside clearance done during last year's closure, to reduce the effects of leaf fall. I haven't travelled the line since, so I don't know if that has improved the views. In good weather there can be wide open views, but in bad weather you won't see much beyond the carriage windows.

Most of the stations are well kept, as the line's user group has local station adopters who keep them tidy, often with floral displays in summer.

Rolling stock isn't great - the 150s are reasonably spacious but the seats are poorly aligned with windows, while the 153s have poor legroom, especially if you end up sat over a heater.

Train crews swap units where the services cross, either at Llanwrtyd or Llandrindod. At one time there was a regular trolley service south of there, but I certainly wouldn't rely on that still being the case.

Personally, I think it's well worth riding along just for the unusual experience of a long cross-country branch line, but I can see why others might not agree.

Even if there is a trolley booked, it would currently have been suspended by TFW due COVID rules

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I quite enjoyed it the two occasions I've done it end to end, but probably for the novelty value more than anything.
I'm sure I will get frustrated with it when I try and scratch all the shacks on it!

Stuwhu

I went on it a couple of weeks ago from Shrewsbury to Llandeilo, enjoyed the relaxing journey, seemed like it was from another slower era.

sftfan1909

It's a pleasant line, but it feels quite long for me. I preferred visiting some of the stations to travelling the full route.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It's a pleasant line, but it feels quite long for me. I preferred visiting some of the stations to travelling the full route.
It is a long way though!
I'm planning on visiting some of the stations on a trip in a few weeks time, I like the feeling of remoteness.

Blinkbonny

I'm planning on doing this journey on a Rover at the end of this month as it happens, and have read this thread with interest. How busy will it be and should I be looking to make a Reservation on the Monday 10.09 from Shrewsbury?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I'm planning on doing this journey on a Rover at the end of this month as it happens, and have read this thread with interest. How busy will it be and should I be looking to make a Reservation on the Monday 10.09 from Shrewsbury?
I'm not certain but I don't think you can make an actual 'seat' reservation.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TfW don't seem to do actual seat reservations so I wouldn't bother. I think you'll be fine though, just get there a little earlier than normal to make sure you're on I guess.

I used to live near the HoW, it is a nice line to ride on. OK so it's not the West Highland Line nice, but quite frankly there isn't anywhere I've been yet that beats the WHL. Even so, it's a nice ride through Wales and worth doing. The video I include a link to below will hopefully give you a brief highlight of some of the line, from the Royal Welsh Show extra train in 2005. There's a few scenes at Swansea at the end too:

Calthrop

Established Member
I -- a lifelong "Cymrophile" -- love the Heart of Wales line: have travelled on it in whole or part, a fair number of times over the past half-century, and always found it a delight; don't think I could ever get tired of it. It isn't the most scenically spectacular route in Britain, or indeed in Wales; but for my money, it's pretty good -- and I have no quarrel with its length -- personally, revel in lengthy travel on pleasant rail lines, the longer the better. However; "different strokes for different folks" -- it's clear that not everyone automatically goes a bundle on this line.

Last time I traveled on it, it was suffering from an overgrown lineside. I don't know if there has been much clearance work but some sections were quite bad.
Any recent videos available taken from the driver's cab to give the OP a better idea? Last time I did part of the HoW line, it was a bit like being in a "green tunnel" after branching off from the 'main line' at Craven Arms.

This can, for sure, be an issue re this route. (Not a problem, personally, for me; but -- mercifully -- people and their responses, vary.) Some years ago, while my brother and I were briefly staying in Swansea; he expressed an interest in taking a ride over the HoW line. Surprisingly to me: my (dearly loved) brother normally loathes public transport in any shape or form, and professes to find my verging-on-obsessive railway enthusiasm, extremely "sad". We duly travelled -- this was in midsummer -- Swansea -- Llanelli -- Shrewsbury, and back by the next train. Brother (normally a keen environmentalist, very "pro-trees" in any context) felt quite put-out by "all the bloody trees" all the way along the line, blocking views of the vaunted high-hills-and-moors magnificence; and complained accordingly. With his being usually a hater of anything railway-associated; and something of a habitual contrarian -- I suspect that if we'd done the run in the dead of winter, he'd have whinged about the miserable treeless tundra / bleak-moor / lunar landscape, being traversed...

Stuwhu

I was on the 10.09 train from Shrewsbury on a Thursday and the one carriage train didn't get more than a third full at any point. You can get a reservation but as Andy Pacer says, you dont get a seat number.

Gloster

Established Member
Back in 1978 I did the HoW with my first BR free ticket, going out and back from Salisbury in a day. I got a return ticket to, I think Llangammarch Wells, as I calculated that it was the half-way point on the circle from Newport. I remember the guard coming through and asking if I was actually getting off and, as I wasn’t, we didn’t stop. A bonus was travelling in the XP64 stock behind a 25 from Craven Arms to Newport. It may not be the most spectacular line in the country, but it is worth the trip.

Anonymous10

Established Member

In July I'm travelling from Glasgow to Haverfordwest.
I've never been on the Heart of Wales line and can travel via it a)If I get up hideously early and b) am happy with the couple of extra hours it takes.
The question is - is it worth it? Is it especially beautiful?
Opinions please!
the line to my knowledge recently had the vegetation cut back and so far as i have heard is one of the most scenic in wales and can have some lovely views while in mid wales would also recommend when on the line between Swansea and Carmarthen to keep your head on the window some lovely views across the bay there also regarding rolling stock atm the howl line is using mainly 153 and the prm fitted 153 at that which imo have a superior layout personally i find it much more comfortable and you have a few seats dotted round for those with reduced mobility which u may occupy unless someone more requiring boards i would also say that the west wales lines seem to mainly be using 158s or 150s atm

Established Member
Feel free to say hello to me onboard!:D

My advance ticket for the journey wasn't issued with a reservation and nor was the advance for my return trip via the Marches. I've done all the shacks on the line so have obviously travelled on it extensively. I've never seen reservations placed, and only been on a couple of trains that were standing room only-the 10:09 off Shrewsbury not being one of them. Indeed, I've had the 05:56 from Shrewsbury to myself until Llandrindod to myself-twice!

Established Member
I quite enjoyed it the two occasions I've done it end to end, but probably for the novelty value more than anything.
I'm sure I will get frustrated with it when I try and scratch all the shacks on it!
It requires patience.

A 20 hour day consisting of multiple 2/3 hour festers in the middle of nowhere is a real endurance fest.

Blinkbonny

I was on the 10.09 train from Shrewsbury on a Thursday and the one carriage train didn't get more than a third full at any point. You can get a reservation but as Andy Pacer says, you dont get a seat number.

Thanks very much Stu, 185, and everybody - sounds like I'm good to go!

Just need to get myself to Birmingham International for 7.50 now. :smile:

Last edited:

Blinkbonny

Feel free to say hello to me onboard!:D

My advance ticket for the journey wasn't issued with a reservation and nor was the advance for my return trip via the Marches. I've done all the shacks on the line so have obviously travelled on it extensively. I've never seen reservations placed, and only been on a couple of trains that were standing room only-the 10:09 off Shrewsbury not being one of them. Indeed, I've had the 05:56 from Shrewsbury to myself until Llandrindod to myself-twice!
Great news (for me anyway - perhaps not so good for the line! :smile:)

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It requires patience.

A 20 hour day consisting of multiple 2/3 hour festers in the middle of nowhere is a real endurance fest.
I'm ok with long festers, I always have a book to read and like a bit of an explore, it just becomes tiresome if the trains get cancelled!

Blinkbonny

TfW don't seem to do actual seat reservations so I wouldn't bother. I think you'll be fine though, just get there a little earlier than normal to make sure you're on I guess.

I used to live near the HoW, it is a nice line to ride on. OK so it's not the West Highland Line nice, but quite frankly there isn't anywhere I've been yet that beats the WHL. Even so, it's a nice ride through Wales and worth doing. The video I include a link to below will hopefully give you a brief highlight of some of the line, from the Royal Welsh Show extra train in 2005. There's a few scenes at Swansea at the end too:

Nice vid. Anyone ideas what was the usual haulage in the days of steam?

D6130

Established Member
Nice vid. Anyone ideas what was the usual haulage in the days of steam?
Latterly, I believe it was mainly Stanier 8F 2-8-0s on the end-to-end trains (Shrewsbury to Swansea Victoria - no reversal at Llanelli in those days) and ex-LMS 2-6-4 tanks on the local short workings at either end of the line. This ex-LNWR line was one of the few routes on which you could enjoy 8F haulage on a regular basis, as they were preferred to Black 5s because their smaller driving wheels and higher tractive effort gave better acceleration on the steep gradients, where a high maximum speed was not a priority.

D6130

Established Member
That's amazing. Thanks. Wouldn't mind one of them next week!
It would be great if West Coast could operate a charter over the Central Wales Line (to give it its proper name!) with 48151. I think it may have been done a few years ago to celebrate some anniversary or other, but I'm not certain. She is limited to 50 mph on Network Rail metals, which wouldn't be a problem on the CWL, but it would be a bit of a stagger from Shrewsbury to Craven Arms and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.