• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Express Class 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliverj8

Hi all,

I went to Heathrow on saturday and decided to go for a little ride on the HEX from Heathrow Central to T5, I did that and enjoyed it. When I got back to Heathrow Central I noticed that in the other platform was 360205 in HEX livery with new seat covers and I think, additional luggage racks, doing shuttles to T4, I was surprised to see this.

Anyone know why it was in the livery?

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG00077-20100529-1303.jpg
    IMG00077-20100529-1303.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That's the new Heathrow Express to T4 transfer service. It's scheduled to depart T4 at the same time as the HEx from T5 and passengers from T4 can transfer onto HEx at Heathrow Central (thereby meaning T4 to Padd can now be done in 21 mins, as per T5 to Padd). Passengers between T4 and Central also now have a even 15 minute frequency, whereas before (and currently still on Sundays) the timetable sometimes meant you had to wait 20 minutes for a train if you had just missed one.

The rebranding of this unit was to emphasise HEx as serving T4 as well, whereas previously all trains to / from T4 were Connect branded units which was confusing.

Regards,
Paul.

adc82140

Established Member
Does look very smart. Are there any plans to do the rest of the 360s in a "connect" livery? At the moment they just look like they're in some sort of interim undercoat, but have been like that since introduced. What percentage stake does First have in Heathrow Connect? Would it allow them to brand the trains in neon livery, like thay have with TPE?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
So am I right in saying this train now belongs to Express or is it still on lease?

Voyager 2093

Yeah it really is. The Heathrow Connect is just a sub-brand of Heathrow Express and is jointly operated with First. However Heathrow Connect are in charge of the Train operations. If that makes sense.

Dreadnought

I noticed the train departed with crew at the rear controls. Does the train operate with 2 drivers for speedy turnarounds?

Is that not the Guard / Train Manager / Conductor / Ticket Inspector* that travels on Heathrow Connect services. Yes I know its free to travel between Heathrow terminals but they still check tickets between Paddington and Heathrow.

* delete as appropriate!!

oliverj8

I noticed the train departed with crew at the rear controls. Does the train operate with 2 drivers for speedy turnarounds?

It seemed to, I went to the front (which became the rear on the video) to take the picture and the driver was just sat in the cab with a newspaper.

Does look very smart. Are there any plans to do the rest of the 360s in a "connect" livery? At the moment they just look like they're in some sort of interim undercoat, but have been like that since introduced. What percentage stake does First have in Heathrow Connect? Would it allow them to brand the trains in neon livery, like thay have with TPE?
I doubt that a new livery or First dynamic lines would be introduced. No new livery because as Connect is operated by HEx all the attention is being focused on getting more people to use HEx. Connect is expected to just continue in a similar vein as it currently exists in until Crossrail starts in my opinion. Seemingly First's involvement in the service is selling tickets for the service at the mainline stations, allowing the trains to call at their stations and showing the trains in their timetables. All other aspects are controlled by HEx, so it would seem unfair to brand trains in First livery.

So am I right in saying this train now belongs to Express or is it still on lease?

It is the same company, isn't it?

Yeah it really is. The Heathrow Connect is just a sub-brand of Heathrow Express and is jointly operated with First. However Heathrow Connect are in charge of the Train operations. If that makes sense.

Heathrow Connect is operated on a day to day basis by Heathrow Express and the trains are owned by them.

Is that not the Guard / Train Manager / Conductor / Ticket Inspector* that travels on Heathrow Connect services. Yes I know its free to travel between Heathrow terminals but they still check tickets between Paddington and Heathrow.

* delete as appropriate!!

The T4 transfer is indeed operated with 2 drivers for a quick turnaround (2 minutes). One driver wouldn't be able to switch ends and set up the unit in time. The only other member of staff on board is a cleaner, to keep the train presentable and who helps to perform part of the security sweep at Terminal 4.

Oh and the job title for the staff on Heathrow Connect services is Customer Service Assistant.

Hope this is of interest,
Paul.

starrymarkb

Established Member
As I understand it the connect bumped off the FGW stopper, so technically operates as an FGW service between Hayes and Paddington. Thats probably an over simplification of it.

Crossforth

Established Member
It all seems abit mad :?

So the only reason first are involved is so that they can call at the intermediate stops?

And the livery does look smart

starrymarkb

Established Member
It took the paths of the FGW stopper which ran IIRC to Hayes only, as Heathrow Connect isn't a franchised operator they can't userp a franchised operator, so the service operates as FGW Paddington to Hayes, then as HEX to the Airport. First are happy as it released on loan 165s back to Chiltern, as Chiltern 165s are 75mph they were limited in diagrams (FGW 165s are 90mph) plus a 360 seats many more then a 165

The annoying issue about this is that there is no longer a direct service from Terminal 4 to Paddington that was once provided by the Heathrow connect on a 30min interval... now everyone going to Terminal 4 must change trains.... and people taking the cheaper connect service must change to go to either T4 or T5.

It's also shame there wasn't the investment made (initially) in building more platforms at Heathrow Central to accommodate future expanded services (or perhaps a turnback siding / platform)

LE Greys

Established Member
The annoying issue about this is that there is no longer a direct service from Terminal 4 to Paddington that was once provided by the Heathrow connect on a 30min interval... now everyone going to Terminal 4 must change trains.... and people taking the cheaper connect service must change to go to either T4 or T5.

It's also shame there wasn't the investment made (initially) in building more platforms at Heathrow Central to accommodate future expanded services (or perhaps a turnback siding / platform)

Or even an exhaust extraction system to allow Voyagers to go down there. Oh, and a west-south curve at the junction.

You still have a direct service to / from T4 on Sundays. The detriment of the weekday Connect through to T4 has resulted in an improved service for HEx customers to / from T4. Instead of them having to wait up to 13 minutes between connecting trains, they now only have to wait for a maximum 5 minutes. Additionally the old timetable meant that there was an uneven frequency and sometimes there was a 20 minute wait between trains to / from T4. As HEx customers are paying more than double the Connect single fare, why shouldn't they expect a faster and more frequent service?

As regards the initial expenditure on the tunnels, might the tunnel collapse have affected the original plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.