• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Piccadilly Line free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
That's a bit mean on the car park. Or possibly the station.

How many of Heathrow's 200,000+ daily passengers do you expect to use this? There's not a lot of space there.

There may well not be but if people knew about it they would drop off their without having to go into the airport thus causing massive traffic issues there.

londonbridge

Established Member

cav1975

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is a 1999 version of this map on eBay at the moment as I found one during a clear out. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332172385731?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 The current map covers a slightly larger than it did then so I suspect that there hasn't been a cutback.

There has since I last used it. It appears to have expanded after 1999 and then contracted again. The last time I used it you could still use the 81 along Bath Road. It has of course expanded to include Terminal 5 since 1999. The successors to the 74/75/76 on your 1999 map are no longer included.

What's the H25 doing on there? It certainly doesn't go to Heathrow Central, from Hatton X it goes down Hatton road to Bedfont then into Feltham. Which section of that route (ie between which stops) is free then?

And it isn't shown as going to Heathrow Central. All stops are shown on the map, so it's clear it's valid for the first 2 stops from Hatton Cross - so as far as Cains Lane.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wonder if the hotels within the free travel zone keep the fact quiet and direct their residents to the "Hotel Hoppa" buses for which there is a charge?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wonder if the hotels within the free travel zone keep the fact quiet and direct their residents to the "Hotel Hoppa" buses for which there is a charge?

In my experience they usually do. Most of them sell tickets for them and earn commission.

I've asked at the bus station at T5 for advice on where the 350 went from and been asked where I'm going and been directed to the Hoppa service by NX staff.

In my experience they usually do. Most of them sell tickets for them and earn commission.

I've asked at the bus station at T5 for advice on where the 350 went from and been asked where I'm going and been directed to the Hoppa service by NX staff.

Unfortunately they do indeed. Heathrow Airport seem to hide the fact that you can reach almost all of the Hotels by free local bus services. The Hotel Hoppa is by far one of the biggest rip off bus service in the UK. I find it appalling that they think they can charge passengers the extortionate fares of £5 Single and £9 Return when almost all of the Hotels are also served by local bus services which are completely free of charge (and are just as quick and usually more frequent). The Hotel Hoppa is just like the Heathrow Express and is used simply as a dishonest method to rip off tourists.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Heathrow does very little to publicise the existence of the free travel zone to the public at large (though it does feature in travel information aimed at airport workers). Both Heathrow airport and the hotels served by the 'Hotel Hoppa' have a financial stake in the Hoppa service.

londonbridge

Established Member
And it isn't shown as going to Heathrow Central. All stops are shown on the map, so it's clear it's valid for the first 2 stops from Hatton Cross - so as far as Cains Lane.

In that case, given that they cover the same route between Hatton Cross and St Mary's Church, why isn't the H26 listed as well?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In that case, given that they cover the same route between Hatton Cross and St Mary's Church, why isn't the H26 listed as well?

You'd have to ask Heathrow that (or why the 203 isn't covered) - there's plenty of routes that cover parts of these routes that aren't included (many of which used to be) - the X26, 81, 7, N7, 8, 90, 222.

Last edited:

paddington

This morning the X26 driver allowed someone to travel for free from Central bus station to Hatton Cross.

londonbridge

Established Member
Did you happen to hear why? Maybe it was a tourist who didn't know cash isn't accepted and who didn't have an Oyster/contactless and the driver just decided to let them on?

paddington

Did you happen to hear why? Maybe it was a tourist who didn't know cash isn't accepted and who didn't have an Oyster/contactless and the driver just decided to let them on?

She appeared to be a British person (I don't mean white, as she wasn't).

She was the last person to get on at Heathrow, I couldn't hear exactly what she said, but it might have been something like "is it free to Hatton Cross?" after which she just walked into the bus, we drove off, then she got off as soon as the doors next opened.

londonbridge

Established Member
Thanks. I've seen several instances involving tourists who were unsure of how to pay and/or didn't realise cash wasn't accepted, as well as someone going to Heathrow who had no Oyster or CPC, and another person who was seeing them off tapped a card and then got off the bus, leaving the passenger with no proof of payment (this incident has been discussed on Mike WH's Oyster site if anyone wants more details).

Incidentally from tomorrow the X26 will run to a new timetable and will operate with double decker buses to increase capacity.

paddington

Incidentally from tomorrow the X26 will run to a new timetable and will operate with double decker buses to increase capacity.

I've taken it a few times since the new timetable and it seems much more reliable than before. This is despite the travel time actually being reduced

In the evening the new buses seem to make the journey in just over an hour and even during peak times they manage to arrive "early" at LHR

The downside is that the double deckers are much less comfortable* and there is nowhere to put luggage, but then again the double decker means that there are more than enough seats so my luggage can just occupy a seat

Dstock7080

Established Member
The downside is that the double deckers are much less comfortable* and there is nowhere to put luggage, but then again the double decker means that there are more than enough seats so my luggage can just occupy a seat
The current vehicles are due to be adapted to carry more luggage, have route branding and possibly be converted to single-door.

londonbridge

Established Member
I've taken it a few times since the new timetable and it seems much more reliable than before. This is despite the travel time actually being reduced

In the evening the new buses seem to make the journey in just over an hour and even during peak times they manage to arrive "early" at LHR

Which part of the route are you travelling over? I use it for journeys between Carshalton High Street and Hatton Cross, early on a Saturday morning (boarding at 7.30) it takes the best part of an hour, arriving at Hatton X at around 8.25. Coming back later at Saturday lunchtime it has taken the best part of an hour and a half in some cases depending on traffic. Yesterday I used the 6.30am from Carshalton and was at Hatton X at 7.20.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Which part of the route are you travelling over? I use it for journeys between Carshalton High Street and Hatton Cross, early on a Saturday morning (boarding at 7.30) it takes the best part of an hour, arriving at Hatton X at around 8.25. Coming back later at Saturday lunchtime it has taken the best part of an hour and a half in some cases depending on traffic. Yesterday I used the 6.30am from Carshalton and was at Hatton X at 7.20.

I'm not sure what your point is. All the times you quote are about what the timetable says.

There is no 0630 from Carshalton unless it's late - there's an 0622 and an 0647. The 0622 isn't due at Hatton Cross until 0735, so if it arrived at 0720 it was running very early.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/X26.htm#1_C

berneyarms

Established Member
I'm not sure what your point is. All the times you quote are about what the timetable says.

There is no 0630 from Carshalton unless it's late - there's an 0622 and an 0647. The 0622 isn't due at Hatton Cross until 0735, so if it arrived at 0720 it was running very early.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/X26.htm#1_C

Just to correct you, on the last trip the previous poster was travelling on Sunday morning - when there is an 06:30 from Carshalton, which appeared to be five minutes ahead of schedule at Hatton X.

Still not sure overall what that poster's actual point is however.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Just to correct you, on the last trip the previous poster was travelling on Sunday morning - when there is an 06:30 from Carshalton, which appeared to be five minutes ahead of schedule at Hatton X.

Still not sure overall what that poster's actual point is however.

Yes - for some reason I thought it was Tuesday today!

Status
Not open for further replies.