• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heaton Derailment 22/03/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
I gather there’s been a derailment at Heaton in the early hours of this morning, which has prevented any trains from leaving the depot. Can anyone share any further details of what’s happened? I appreciate there is a limit as to what can be shared publicly at such an early stage after an accident.

I am travelling this morning, and I don’t think I’ve ever been so glad that XC use Tyne Yard!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I gather there’s been a derailment at Heaton in the early hours of this morning, which has prevented any trains from leaving the depot. Can anyone share any further details of what’s happened? I appreciate there is a limit as to what can be shared publicly at such an early stage after an accident.

I am travelling this morning, and I don’t think I’ve ever been so glad that XC use Tyne Yard!
I don't know the circumstances surrounding the derailment but there are cancellations to Northern, TPE and LNER services as a result.

skyhigh

Established Member
A TPE set derailed. There were no movements allowed out of the depot but trains are now being allowed to leave via the North end.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's looking fairly apocalyptic down my neck of the woods so far this morning with a handful of trains having run (I'm guessing using those that park up in Darlington overnight) and most of the rest indefinitely delayed or cancelled.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I believe, from seeing a tweet, that as a result the 06:22 LNER service was operated by a CrossCountry Voyager. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On Moderation
I’ve been sent this photo:

1647936270686.png

(Image shows one vehicle of a TPE class 802 partially on its side)

DoubleO

Pretty well off...

Attachments

• IMG-20220322-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220322-WA0002.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,197
  • IMG-20220322-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220322-WA0003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,222

Moonshot

Established Member
Very strange , interesting to know what actually happened. From the pictures it looks like it attempted to use the hand rail and not the track rail?
Depot driver passed signal at danger and went through set of trailing points

tonysk14

National Rail Enquiries now reporting "lines reopened". Doesn't seen very likely to me.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Discussion about whether XC should have subbed an HST for a Voyager at short notice can now be found here.

DanNCL

Established Member
There are several possibilities as to how come a train could end up derailed in such a position at that location. It’s probably best we wait until any sort of official announcement before speculating the cause of the accident.

Driver068

Not one to speculate and as mentioned already we should try and keep speculation to a minimum however a possibility would be driver in question Passed Signal at Danger before road set, driver goes over set of points and at same time control tower sets other road as the final and fith vehicle passes over, thus derailing the rear vehicle. With an LNER set on other side, the control tower would not of physically seen the movement taking place.

However i stress we must await report from RAIB.

Gostav

Pretty well off...
So the last car derailed and dragged some distance over the fence before it was discovered by staff? It semms that the left side of the carriage and the chassis and the bogie would be have serious damage.

liamf656

Well I'm sure your unfortunate colleague is very pleased with you sharing that...
Or anyone else for that matter, since “insider knowledge” should probably be kept to a minimum until something official is said/released, especially with how easily such info can be misinterpreted!!

Back on topic, here are some more photos I’ve been sent of the aftermath, revealing the incident in daylight

Attachments

• 8A8D177A-D065-40E9-8027-8CE02C911EDC.jpeg
    8A8D177A-D065-40E9-8027-8CE02C911EDC.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 941
  • 3C505238-E5B4-4572-A27B-5550CD6B4A72.jpeg
    3C505238-E5B4-4572-A27B-5550CD6B4A72.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 927

Dunnideer

Is this in the realm of what RAIB Investigate?

However i stress we must await report from RAIB.

Since it's within the confines of a depot and hasn't fouled a running line then it's only reportable to RAIB in a monthly paperwork return. It doesn't appear to be the type of incident which is immediately notifiable unless the damage is likely to amount to more than £1.6mil. I would be surprised to see a full RAIB investigation and report for a depot SPAD even if the photos do make it look dramatic. Of course there'll be an internal rail industry investigation carried out but the results of that won't be published in the public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.