• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hebden Bridge Signal Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calderfornian

Long time lurker, first time poster... I know there is a Calder Valley re-signalling thread but this is a specific issue.

Hebden Bridge Signal Box is Grade II listed partly due to it being an exemplar L&Y box. The re-signalling scheme will see it become redundant and as such NR have put in an application to put up security grilles and remove the stairs.

Local concerns are around that this will make any re-use even more expensive. NRs application is predicated on preventing trespass and vandalism (which is sound) but the proposals do not include alternative arrangements such as palisade fencing (the railway being relatively open at the location).

Anyone interested can see the docs here...

https://portal.calderdale.gov.uk/on...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=P0Y6N9DWL6P00

Wki picture here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebden_Bridge_signal_box#/media/File:Hebden_Bridge_signal_box_(5).jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CdBrux

Are there any suggestions of what potential re-uses there might be? I would think if the locals protest for it to have much weight then such ideas should be made clear

John Webb

Established Member
Here's a view from the other side (click on picture to go to the larger original):
Track layout east of Hebden Bridge

© Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The platforms at Hebden Bridge are off-set from each other, meaning that the box is well-separated from the platform on the same side. This will make any reuse of the box very problematic in terms of access, and it's proximity to the track and a bridge over a road won't help with keeping it maintained as well. I note too that the stairs (shown in the picture linked to by Calderfornian are modern steel steps, not the original wooden ones. It's therefore not surprising that NR want to do what they are proposing to do. Putting palisade fencing round it might give better protection, but wouldn't stop vandals breaking windows, which grilles would significantly address.

My guess is that, if Historic England can be persuaded, moving the whole box to be adjacent to one or other platform and set back a little further from the track would allow access by the public, either as an additional part of the station's heritage display in the waiting room, or as an extension to the café? And that move will be expensive!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've long been jealous of the person who lives in the former Clayton West Junction signal box, so if my numbers come up (or rather my accumulator, as I don't actually do the lottery ;) ) I may put an offer in. Presumably with enough of a budget, non-railside access could be organised if not already in place!

Macwomble

Would it be possible for a heritage railway to acquire, and relocate, it to their line......in much the same way as the NYMR did with Falsgrave gantry from Scarborough.

John Webb

Established Member
Would it be possible for a heritage railway to acquire, and relocate, it to their line......in much the same way as the NYMR did with Falsgrave gantry from Scarborough.
Historic England is very reluctant to see listed buildings moved any significant distance - to quote from their listing (see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1412056):
"Hebden Bridge Signal Box is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Representative: as a good surviving example of a standard L&YR signal box; * Fittings: for the retention of its L&YR name board as well as internal fittings including its original lever frame; * Group Value: enhances the interest of the immediately adjacent and contemporary Grade II listed station."
It is the last factor which will be a strong influence on the future of the building and led to the comment in my post #3 above about possibly moving to be adjacent to the station buildings.

It is worth noting it isn't a perfect specimen - the listing confirms that the windows are modern uPVC, although done in the appropriate style of the original windows.

Spartacus

Established Member
There is a lane behind the box which would make it pretty easy to access if it was suitably fenced off from the running lines, I believe it's the normal access point currently, but that does also make it easy to access for vandals too.

Calderfornian

There is a lane behind the box which would make it pretty easy to access if it was suitably fenced off from the running lines, I believe it's the normal access point currently, but that does also make it easy to access for vandals too.

Yes that's correct, there is access from the South side with little protection at all, that's what makes this odd - it doesn't address trespass and wider vandalism. The new location room which is adjacent has a full fence round it but they haven't protected the access point to the junction. It's this lane which could provide access for any future re-use.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Historic England is very reluctant to see listed buildings moved any significant distance - to quote from their listing (see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1412056):
"Hebden Bridge Signal Box is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Representative: as a good surviving example of a standard L&YR signal box; * Fittings: for the retention of its L&YR name board as well as internal fittings including its original lever frame; * Group Value: enhances the interest of the immediately adjacent and contemporary Grade II listed station."
It is the last factor which will be a strong influence on the future of the building and led to the comment in my post #3 above about possibly moving to be adjacent to the station buildings.

It is worth noting it isn't a perfect specimen - the listing confirms that the windows are modern uPVC, although done in the appropriate style of the original windows.
The old railway station at Oxford was moved. This was in the late 90s

John Webb

Established Member
Yes that's correct, there is access from the South side with little protection at all, that's what makes this odd - it doesn't address trespass and wider vandalism. The new location room which is adjacent has a full fence round it but they haven't protected the access point to the junction. It's this lane which could provide access for any future re-use.
I did wonder about that from the location map on the Historic England listing about the box, but most of my visits to Hebden Bridge have involved coming in on the A6033 from the North or the A646 from the East, and so I have never actually visited the railway station!
The old railway station at Oxford was moved. This was in the late 90s
The move of the LMS Rewley Road station (to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton Road) was one of the rare examples of the then English Heritage agreeing to a move. It was helped by the fact that the station was constructed of prefabricated parts similar to those used for the Crystal Palace, and with that destroyed in 1936 the need for preservation of Rewley Road was very pressing. Moving it to Quainton Road put it back into railway use as well as ensuring it would be preserved and looked after - a 'win/win' situation for all. But looking at the Historic England website it seems that this building has been 'delisted' as a result of, or to allow, the move.

It may be worth commenting that we were able to save St Albans South box 'in situ' as it was on its own piece of land separate from the adjacent City station and set back from the track due to a siding having been in front of the box until some years after closure - gave room to erect a fence to allow access round the box. (The fence is a six foot expanded metal one, not palisade fencing, so the box is easily seen from the line and station but still protected.) Looks like something similar to the situation at Hebden Bridge? Best Wishes to anyone who wants to take it on!

Last edited:

lejog

Established Member
I've long been jealous of the person who lives in the former Clayton West Junction signal box, so if my numbers come up (or rather my accumulator, as I don't actually do the lottery ;) ) I may put an offer in. Presumably with enough of a budget, non-railside access could be organised if not already in place!
There may be a small problem with that at Hebden Bridge, in that as with any listed building the interior is protected as well as the exterior and any conversion would need the consent of the planners. There is at least a loo (the small modern extension at the top f the stairs.
Especially when the block of flats pictured behind the box in the wiki photo is (or at least was) a highly localised Hebden Bridge crime hot spot. Visitors shouldn't worry it didn't reach as far as the station.

55z

Any listed building has to find an use after the current use becomes redundant otherwise it becomes a liability due to lack of maintenance, Access to Hebden Bridge signal box is easy with a lane behind the box and with suitable fencing can become seperated from a live railway. Best of luck. Clayton West Junction signal box unfortunately is not original it is a replica ( a good one). The orginal was destroyed by fire and the replica was built on a slightly different site.

8A Rail

Established Member
I understand the need of NR protecting the box from possible 'damage' but by doing that will unfortunately cut it off from trme the surrounding station area considering that is very well preserved along with the old railway signs etc. May be the word is 'ambience' of the whole location and that could be an issue with Historic England? It is a Catch 22 situation sadly.

As far as I am aware, the same organisation (Historic England?) stopped the removal of Rainhill Signal Box as it is part of the nearby station but NR just basically just left it including the access stairs and never bothered to touch it since. NR even had the opportunity to do some general maintenance before the electrification but never bothered which makes it even harder to do any work on the Box what so ever. Sadly I suspect NR will let the Box rot to the extent the only option will be to knock it down. If you are curious, it was planned the Box was going to be preserved at Ribble Steam Railway and arrangements were already in place to move it but (Historic England?) stopped the removal and in a strange way may have ultimately condemned its faith in consequence, hopefully not though but ...... !

Andrew Bibby

I've been pleased to see the interest here in the future of the Hebden Bridge signal box. This is an important part of the town's heritage and I know that there will be a lot of local determination to ensure that it is properly looked after. It's grade II listed for a reason!
I'm secretary of the Calder Valley Community Land Trust (www.caldervalleyclt.org.uk), a member-run charitable community benefit society which acts as a kind of local equivalent to the National Trust. (We hold the legal ownership of one local community centre, for example). Through the good offices of the Friends of Hebden Bridge station we have now held two exploratory meetings with Network Rail to discuss the signal box passing to the trust and have also been allowed to visit the box to inspect its condition. If the transfer turns out to be possible (and the CLT trustees are happy at the proposal, so the decision rests with NR), we will be looking to conserve it on behalf of the community in perpetuity.
I can't guarantee that I will notice replies to this thread, so if you want to email me directly please do at [email protected]. But I will advise people here if/when there is further progress. Andrew Bibby.

Meole

Good to hear of the active interest, this needs to continue, Llandrindod Wells preserved box seems to be an example of sufficient initial interest but looks rather neglected now.

Status
Not open for further replies.