• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heinz Factory near Wigan to get its own siding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4F89

No sidings, all done under a posession.

Why do you need to spend millions to provide a siding? Cant they just stop a train on the running line at night and load directly onto it, as per the trial?
As far as I'm aware, this is the plan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Why not reopen the ICI Nobel sidings at Gathurst? They will be used to dealing with explosive substances there.

Established Member
Of course this project can only work if the Government urgently fund curves at Burscough in every direction to provide diversionary resilience between the factory and the Skipton-Colne line that will be needed to take it over the Pennines to/from Hull...

(am I doing this right?)
No because those curves will be needed in conjunction with the Bradford Crossrail and the Preston avoiding line in order to use the Colne - Skipton line as a diversionary route for trains from Southport in case a spaghetti hoop spillage blocks the line to Manchester.

I do have a serious question though. Freight using the Wigan - Southport line is very good news since it is currently passenger only, while the Kirkby line isn’t, but what will happen in the event of 769s obstructing the passage of freight or vice versa and what is a pad as opposed to a siding?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I do have a serious question though. Freight using the Wigan - Southport line is very good news since it is currently passenger only, while the Kirkby line isn’t, but what will happen in the event of 769s obstructing the passage of freight or vice versa and what is a pad as opposed to a siding?
As said before, you wouldnt time it during passenger times. It would be done in a possession. A pad is just an area where you could get access to the train on the mainline.

Gloster

Established Member

I think that a pad is just a concrete or tarmacked apron that runs right up to the rails on one side of the line: it is large enough for forklifts to unload from a lorry, turn and load the goods on to the wagon, and for the lorry to turn and depart (or vice-versa). It doesn’t need to be very long as you can always move the train up wagon by wagon.

The loading would normally be done in the middle of the night or occasionally on Sunday mornings when there are long gaps between trains. The process of getting the train to the pad, handling the load, checking the wagons before departure and then getting the train to where it can be recessed can be very drawn out.

Pad is not to be confused with PAD: Pre-assembly depot. This was a civil engineer’s depot where points and crossing were prepared for being used to replace worn-out components. They would usually be laid out on the ground and very carefully measured to check they fitted the drawings for the location they were going to. They would then either be loaded complete on a wagon or carefully dismantled and taken to the site for relaying. (A simple description, there was other work done at a PAD.)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
We all seem to have missed the announcement of a new Boris bridge from East Yorkshire to the Netherlands, given that the article sates (my bold):
Maybe they'll bring the Nord pas de Calais back from Spain and use her from Hull to Rotterdam for this service...? Or is that too much common sense?

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Pad will look something like this: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Lineside-Loading-Guide.pdf

The figures quoted on that document are probably several years out of date.

Gostav

I think it is really unusual that a goods station without any siding and loading on mainline.

billh

Wasn't there a Speedlink service years ago bringing cans from Metal Box Co to Heinz? Used to run round at Ashbury's loop in Manchester with a 37 and a (very) few vans. Did Heinz have a siding then? I might be on the wrong track there?

Gloster

Established Member
I think it is really unusual that a goods station without any siding and loading on mainline.
I think they have loaded timber on the Far North line using the running line. It is not new: back in the seventies some of the temporary terminals for roadstone for motorway building were just an excavator on a pad.

There was a short term arrangement for a quarry near Millom to load its product on the mainline around ten years ago. I think it was destined for an extension of the Drigg storage facility, which of course is rail served.

themiller

There was a short term arrangement for a quarry near Millom to load its product on the mainline around ten years ago. I think it was destined for an extension of the Drigg storage facility, which of course is rail served.
That’s correct. Stone from Ghyll Scaur quarry was taken to a compound at Aggie’s Lonning just east of Millom. A rake of bogie open wagons was top and tailed by class66s which followed the last southbound passenger from Sellafield and waited just north of Millom until the last service from Barrow had returned there. It then proceeded to the loading pad at Aggie’s Lonning where it was loaded. It then waited until the line reopened in the morning to return north to Sellafield where it reversed in the goods loops before heading south again to Drigg. The pad was constructed of some of the stone that was being transported whilst the corner of the field used for the virtual quarry has been reinstated.

Brian1947

Wasn't there a Speedlink service years ago bringing cans from Metal Box Co to Heinz? Used to run round at Ashbury's loop in Manchester with a 37 and a (very) few vans. Did Heinz have a siding then? I might be on the wrong track there?
This could have been from when the factory produced baby food in small cans. It must be more than 25 years ago when this ceased, so your thoughts are probably correct. The factory manufactures its cans on site for all the other products packed there, so potential for the sheets of tin plate to arrive by rail.

furnessvale

Established Member
Not heard of that one, but Metal Box at Westhoughton used to have a Speedlink trip fitting that description into their own private siding.

Meerkat

Established Member
I think that a pad is just a concrete or tarmacked apron that runs right up to the rails on one side of the line: it is large enough for forklifts to unload from a lorry, turn and load the goods on to the wagon, and for the lorry to turn and depart (or vice-versa). It doesn’t need to be very long as you can always move the train up wagon by wagon.

The loading would normally be done in the middle of the night or occasionally on Sunday mornings when there are long gaps between trains. The process of getting the train to the pad, handling the load, checking the wagons before departure and then getting the train to where it can be recessed can be very drawn out.
It will probably be swap bodies wont it??

william

Established Member
This will never happen. I've bean here too many times before.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Finding out the hard way could be quite messy!
Bashed Beans! As it happens, I've checked and it's W8 between Wigan Station Junction and Gathurst Viaduct, although it looks like it's only W7 through Crow's Nest Junction, so could see trains needing to be routed via Eccles then Man Vic, which will be fun to find a path for!

D6130

Established Member
Maybe the Eastbound trains would have to run via Warrington and then a circular scenic tour of Cheshire to eventually join the Calder Valley Line at Brewery Junction....like the current Bin Liner and Biomass trains do.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Maybe the Eastbound trains would have to run via Warrington and then a circular scenic tour of Cheshire to eventually join the Calder Valley Line at Brewery Junction....like the current Bin Liner and Biomass trains do.
Could do, it will depend on what wagon/trailer combination they run and the trailing weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.