• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heinz Factory near Wigan to get its own siding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAPS2034

With all this discussion of upsetting the residents of Parbold and running round, how did they deal with the trial train? How did it sort itself out? Did it go to Parbold? Were there any complaints?

Nobody has yet found out exactly when this was and how the movements were facilitated, so maybe it didn't disturb anyone?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

terryc

Slight digression, but there's an excellent cab ride video on Don Coffey's YouTube channel of the Knowsley binliner service, showing the reversal and also the container 'swops' in the depot (an internal 'pad').
Not sure if YouTube links are allowed here so I wont post it.. just do a search on YouTube for "Don Coffey Knowsley" You want the first of the two..

In addition there's a northern dmu cab ride from Kirkby to Wigan, again on YouTube, which passes the binliner train in the siding which is waiting to depart on the return journey behind the passenger service

Last edited:

Established Member
When the binliner reverses out of the terminal it may have to wait a while for its booked path. The end of the train will be near to the new Headbolt Lane station and any easterly breeze may produce some unpleasant odours to any waiting passengers. Mask on, once again!
I am unfortunate enough to have been stood on the platform at Stockport when a household waste train passed through, bringing all its unpleasant odours with it, only to be told of a platform alteration (caused by a 150 substitution on a Carmarthen service which couldn’t keep to the 100mph timings and was 40 minutes late) only minutes later meaning I could have been stood on the other side of the station all along.
Slight digression, but there's an excellent cab ride video on Don Coffey's YouTube channel of the Knowsley binliner service, showing the reversal and also the container 'swops' in the depot (an internal 'pad').
Not sure if YouTube links are allowed here so I wont post it.. just do a search on YouTube for "Don Coffey Knowsley" You want the first of the two..

In addition there's a northern dmu cab ride from Kirkby to Wigan, again on YouTube, which passes the binliner train in the siding which is waiting to depart on the return journey behind the passenger service
I watched that the other day. I’d always been wondering how it reversed after seeing the siding during a visit to the site of the Headbolt Lane station. There is of course a reversing siding parallel to the main line as well as the one leading to the recycling facility. Part of the Headbolt Lane work will require the construction of a 3 track embankment.

zwk500

Veteran Member
With all this discussion of upsetting the residents of Parbold and running round, how did they deal with the trial train? How did it sort itself out? Did it go to Parbold? Were there any complaints?

Nobody has yet found out exactly when this was and how the movements were facilitated, so maybe it didn't disturb anyone?
It would seem that the trial train uncoupled the locomotive at the factory site then ran round via Parbold and Wigan. The loco would have been stationary at Parbold for 3 minutes or so. However this would have involved a wrong direction move back towards Wigan, so may be thought undesirable for regular operation. Then again, it may be absolutely fine.

There is also a mountain of difference between one movement on one day, and a regular weekly pattern for months.

CHAPS2034

It would seem that the trial train uncoupled the locomotive at the factory site then ran round via Parbold and Wigan. The loco would have been stationary at Parbold for 3 minutes or so. However this would have involved a wrong direction move back towards Wigan, so may be thought undesirable for regular operation. Then again, it may be absolutely fine.
Thanks for that.

I thought as the train wagons at the Heinz factory would be stationary on the Southport bound line (down line?) as the factory is on the south side of the line, so running back from Parbold to Wigan would be a right direction move? Or am I missing something?

If they are going to have a pad rather than a siding, I thought all this would happen after the last service and before the first service next morning, so I assume normal ops would not be disrupted.

There is also a mountain of difference between one movement on one day, and a regular weekly pattern for months.

Not sure I agree. A one off event is likely to cause more concern than regular ops I feel. I used to live adjacent to the Stockport - Crewe line which was busy at night, but after a couple of weeks, I was very rarely disturbed

zwk500

Veteran Member
Thanks for that.

I thought as the train wagons at the Heinz factory would be stationary on the Southport bound line (down line?) as the factory is on the south side of the line, so running back from Parbold to Wigan would be a right direction move? Or am I missing something?
The loco running light would be making a right direction move from Parbold to Wigan, but once it's coupled to the Wigan end of the wagons it has to either propel them all the way to Parbold or make a wrong direction move on the Southport-bound line towards Wigan until the next crossover. Neither is great, but either may be permitted with appropriate safeguards.
If they are going to have a pad rather than a siding, I thought all this would happen after the last service and before the first service next morning, so I assume normal ops would not be disrupted.
That would presumably be the plan.
Not sure I agree. A one off event is likely to cause more concern than regular ops I feel. I used to live adjacent to the Stockport - Crewe line which was busy at night, but after a couple of weeks, I was very rarely disturbed
But once the one off has happened, nobody is disturbed again. People will get used to it yes, but there's still a difference between regular passes and a loco standing for a sustained period of time in terms of noise nuisance.

CHAPS2034

The loco running light would be making a right direction move from Parbold to Wigan, but once it's coupled to the Wigan end of the wagons it has to either propel them all the way to Parbold or make a wrong direction move on the Southport-bound line towards Wigan until the next crossover. Neither is great, but either may be permitted with appropriate safeguards.

But once the one off has happened, nobody is disturbed again. People will get used to it yes, but there's still a difference between regular passes and a loco standing for a sustained period of time in terms of noise nuisance.
Thanks for the explanation

We await the next developments with interest!

furnessvale

Established Member
If they do go for a siding, will it be an organic development?
Having looked into the volumes of raw materials and finished product involved with this factory and also the pronouncements of Kraft Heinz on their intended use of rail, even a 10% transfer to rail would more than justify a siding arrangement as provided at Highland Spring.

That being the case, all this talk of pads, top and tail and reversing at Parbold or elsewhere may be a little premature.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Might it better to drag the wagons to Parbold, just east of the crossover, before uncoupling and performing the runaround move? Then the propelling move is much shorter, just to get the train past the crossover, and within the view of the signaller in the Parbold box.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Might it better to drag the wagons to Parbold, just east of the crossover, before uncoupling and performing the runaround move? Then the propelling move is much shorter, just to get the train past the crossover, and within the view of the signaller in the Parbold box.
Possible, depends on staff, sighting, risk assessment and all sorts. I've got no idea if the project has got as far as these things yet so this is just speculation at this point.

Paula hewson

I am unfortunate enough to have been stood on the platform at Stockport when a household waste train passed through, bringing all its unpleasant odours with it, only to be told of a platform alteration (caused by a 150 substitution on a Carmarthen service which couldn’t keep to the 100mph timings and was 40 minutes late) only minutes later meaning I could have been stood on the other side of the station all along.

I watched that the other day. I’d always been wondering how it reversed after seeing the siding during a visit to the site of the Headbolt Lane station. There is of course a reversing siding parallel to the main line as well as the one leading to the recycling facility. Part of the Headbolt Lane work will require the construction of a 3 track embankment.
Was stood at Stockport yesterday when binliner train came through. All I can say is I wouldnt want to be there on a hot day!

Greybeard33

Established Member
Was stood at Stockport yesterday when binliner train came through. All I can say is I wouldnt want to be there on a hot day!
On a number of occasions I have been on Stockport Platform 1 or 2 when a Runcorn-bound binliner has been brought to a stand for several minutes in the platform, awaiting its path through Edgeley Jn. Not a pleasant experience!

The CGI flythrough of Headbolt Lane station appears to show (at 2:55) that the buffer stop for the new Northern platform will be adjacent to the existing buffer stop on the Knowsley headshunt. That means that passengers waiting for the departure of a Wigan-bound service might have to endure the delightful aroma from a loaded binliner stood on the headshunt, ready to depart once the passenger train has cleared the single line section to Rainford.

Established Member
On a number of occasions I have been on Stockport Platform 1 or 2 when a Runcorn-bound binliner has been brought to a stand for several minutes in the platform, awaiting its path through Edgeley Jn. Not a pleasant experience!

The CGI flythrough of Headbolt Lane station appears to show (at 2:55) that the buffer stop for the new Northern platform will be adjacent to the existing buffer stop on the Knowsley headshunt. That means that passengers waiting for the departure of a Wigan-bound service might have to endure the delightful aroma from a loaded binliner stood on the headshunt, ready to depart once the passenger train has cleared the single line section to Rainford.
They will ultimately have to redouble the section towards Rainford to avoid this.

furnessvale

Established Member
They will ultimately have to redouble the section towards Rainford to avoid this.
It would be MUCH cheaper to install a train washer of some description at the departure siding. This would have the benefit of de-ponging the train for its entire journey not just Headbolt Lane.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Even if Headbolt Lane to Rainford were redoubled, a departing binliner would still spend considerable time reversing in the headshunt adjacent to the Headbolt Lane platform. The locomotive has to propel the wagons from Knowsley into the headshunt, at extremely low speed (5mph?)
It would be MUCH cheaper to install a train washer of some description at the departure siding. This would have the benefit of de-ponging the train for its entire journey not just Headbolt Lane.
I don't think the pong comes from the outside of the containers. You could not wash the refuse inside them!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Garbage tends over time to liquify into a very pungent liquid, washing would help when its hot but wont make the smell of fresh garbage go away.

furnessvale

Established Member
I don't think the pong comes from the outside of the containers. You could not wash the refuse inside them!
I stand to be corrected, but I believe the problem would be much reduced if the containers and wagons were regularly washed down to remove accumulated and rotting refuse. What is INSIDE the containers is fresh and enclosed in a steel box behind closed doors.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I stand to be corrected, but I believe the problem would be much reduced if the containers and wagons were regularly washed down to remove accumulated and rotting refuse. What is INSIDE the containers is fresh and enclosed in a steel box behind closed doors.
I think the main issue is that the containers are vented not hermetically sealed. Most of them look reasonably clean on the outside, with no evidence of refuse spillage. They are loaded/unloaded from the train by forklift, so little risk of contamination of the wagon chassis or bogies.

To get back on topic, hopefully unpleasant aromas will not be an issue with the Heinz trains, but I suppose nocturnal noise nuisance might be a reason to avoid reversals/runarounds at Parbold.

Established Member
Even if Headbolt Lane to Rainford were redoubled, a departing binliner would still spend considerable time reversing in the headshunt adjacent to the Headbolt Lane platform. The locomotive has to propel the wagons from Knowsley into the headshunt, at extremely low speed (5mph?)
In this case, redouble the line and install bidirectional running capability on the up line to allow passenger trains in both directions to pass the freight blocking the down. This would also be an option if only a pad was provided for the Heinz factory, but require more crossovers to be installed than just one leading to a siding, so that is surely the only option of passenger traffic to Southport is not to be obstructed.

zwk500

Veteran Member
In this case, redouble the line and install bidirectional running capability on the up line to allow passenger trains in both directions to pass the freight blocking the down. This would also be an option if only a pad was provided for the Heinz factory, but require more crossovers to be installed than just one leading to a siding, so that is surely the only option of passenger traffic to Southport is not to be obstructed.
I think there's been a confusion between the binliner, which reverses in a siding off the main line, and the Heinz train, which would only operate after the passenger service had finished for the night.

furnessvale

Established Member
Further to Heinz potential traffic. Heinz manufactures its own cans on site using sheet tinplate. To do this, they bring in ca. 50.000 tonnes of tinplate pa. Assuming it is sourced from Trostre, that in itself is a healthy weekly train from another company keen to up its rail usage.

Established Member
I think there's been a confusion between the binliner, which reverses in a siding off the main line, and the Heinz train, which would only operate after the passenger service had finished for the night.
But for what reason would it only run at night when it could run in the day like the Knowsley binliner train through use of a crossover?

zwk500

Veteran Member
But for what reason would it only run at night when it could run in the day like the Knowsley binliner train through use of a crossover?
Because Heinz will be unlikely to want to pay for a crossover that isn't absolutely necessary. It will easily be several million quid, and Heinz are a private business who must make money to survive.
Paying a driver and shunter for a few hours at night will be cheaper than a crossover unless you're running multiple trains a week for many, many years.

Established Member
Because Heinz will be unlikely to want to pay for a crossover that isn't absolutely necessary. It will easily be several million quid, and Heinz are a private business who must make money to survive.
Paying a driver and shunter for a few hours at night will be cheaper than a crossover unless you're running multiple trains a week for many, many years.
I know it will be a private siding for a private business, but is there any reason why Heinz which is conscious of decarbonisation wouldn’t want to run multiple trains a week for many, many years? Surely that would be the best option to reduce HGV flows?

If a new rail freight venture cost the road haulage industry say 250 HGV road journeys a week and it shedded the drivers and vehicles, how hard would it be for them to reabsorb the traffic again if the rail freight venture was to fail?

zwk500

Veteran Member
I know it will be a private siding for a private business, but is there any reason why Heinz which is conscious of decarbonisation wouldn’t want to run multiple trains a week for many, many years? Surely that would be the best option to reduce HGV flows?
They will only run trains if there is something to move. Even a National Distribution Centre is unlikely to justify 3+ trains a week reliably.
If a new rail freight venture cost the road haulage industry say 250 HGV road journeys a week and it shedded the drivers and vehicles, how hard would it be for them to reabsorb the traffic again if the rail freight venture was to fail?
No idea, I'm afraid. However Heinz almost certainly contract their logistics out to a third party, so it would depend whether those drivers and vehicles had moved on/out by the time the train was canned ('scuse the pun).

Jonny

Established Member
In theory, yes. But leaving wagons on the mainline without a loco attached means things like screwing handbrakes down in case the air pressure leaks off. Also it'll take quite a long time to bring the train up to Parbold, detach the loco and secure the wagons, then wait while it runs to Southport and back to get on the eastern end of the train. Either option involving a runround requires a second member of staff as well, whereas top/tail operation requires only a 2nd loco - somewhat easier to manage as they don't need breaks or run out of hours in the same way drivers do.
As The Planner says, it'll come down to costs at the end of the day - a train with a loco on each end is still more efficient than the equivalent lorry journeys.

That's the main complication - all there is is (as things stand) is a single crossover at Parbold and the pointwork at Southport, which judging by NW6009 sequences/pages 4 to 7 is not exactly conducive to a run-around itself, either. If you are going for a pad, though, you can leave the wagons in place or have the loco propel back to Wigan Wallgate junction where a through siding is available, or even the junction.

If there is a long enough time slot, a propelling move is possible. I don't know what the score would be like for signalling such a manoeuvre, however, as "setting back" generally requires direct authorisation from the signaller.

Brian1947

Further to Heinz potential traffic. Heinz manufactures its own cans on site using sheet tinplate. To do this, they bring in ca. 50.000 tonnes of tinplate pa. Assuming it is sourced from Trostre, that in itself is a healthy weekly train from another company keen to up its rail usage.
When the Heinz NDC was at the conceptual stage in the late 90’s there was some discussion about providing rail access but the company, at that time, believed close proximity to the (now clogged up) motorway system was more important. The cost of providing a siding with a loop would have been a fraction of the total cost of the building, and easily amortised over the years.

Much of the product the company imports could still be rail hauled to the site, this includes finished goods (sauces, baby food, etc) and some of its raw materials - beans and tomato paste spring to mind.

I guess the company (now as Kraft Heinz) has to reduce road haulage and will be looking for the most cost effective means of being seen to be implementing aspects of its green policy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

zwk500

Veteran Member
If there is a long enough time slot, a propelling move is possible. I don't know what the score would be like for signalling such a manoeuvre, however, as "setting back" generally requires direct authorisation from the signaller.
I think we get into quite complicated bits of the rule book about setting back outside the home signal and so on with this. The rules are different on continously detected track to AB areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.