• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hello everybody and please listen up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My point, of course, was a rejoinder to the suggestion that 'gentleman' wasn't acceptable but 'customer' was. Not everyone agrees but may see the latter as marketing-speak.

Customers grates with me a bit. I prefer being referred to as a passenger.

It's a shame the German "Fahrgast", literally "travel guest", translates badly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJames

Established Member
That one has been in use at Victoria for several years. I used to use Victoria station on a very regular basis so I tuned out of all the recorded announcements as I have heard them all countless times. That message probably was recorded by a child.
It's interesting as I had also never heard these announcements at Victoria before despite semi-regular (although not daily) use of the station. When I went through a couple of days ago, having read this thread beforehand, I heard it for the first time. They shouldn't be voiced by children - if necessary then they should be recorded properly.

Recessio

I feel like a lot of these announcements are just TfL covering themselves in the event of a legal challenge. "I wasn't told the station floor would be slippery!" etc. And it costs them, what, a couple of minutes of some staff member in head office's time to record a sentence or two into a microphone?

As I said somewhere up thread, I agree the announcements could be shorter/less annoying, but it's hardly a big deal.

BrianW

Established Member
Thank you bcarmicle for this piece of evidence. Perhaps follow-up studies will show how long-lasting (or not) the effects may be- hopefully long. Mind the gap.

I feel like a lot of these announcements are just TfL covering themselves in the event of a legal challenge. "I wasn't told the station floor would be slippery!" etc. And it costs them, what, a couple of minutes of some staff member in head office's time to record a sentence or two into a microphone?

As I said somewhere up thread, I agree the announcements could be shorter/less annoying, but it's hardly a big deal.
Backside covering is important. The payment of fines, compensation, defence costs, etc comes from fares and taxes. And of course the benefits to those who survive, who avoided injury, are not inconsiderable.

londonbridge

Established Member

Sadly you’re right in as much as it becomes necessary to issue warnings in order to cover yourself against peoples lack of judgement or common sense. Er, it’s been raining so the floor is obviously going to be damp and possibly slippery, that’s why there are also signs saying “caution wet floor” if you look around. But then again, if the courts are willing to entertain claims from people burning themselves by spilling a freshly poured scalding hot cup of coffee on the grounds that they weren’t told it was hot…..

but my recent experiance is of people avoiding using outdated language such as ladies & gentlemen as an introduction,

Local convienience store recently, there was only one colleague serving and the queue was substantially long, the cashier stopped serving for a moment and began with “ladies and gentleman” as he called out and apologised that it was taking longer than usual to serve people due to staff shortages.

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
We can quote back and forth all day examples of L&G or not - it will differ based on personal experience, location, perception, generation and more. There’s loads of factors and it’s frankly a bit boring.

How many of those advocating for L+G to be used actually own land, one of the criteria for being a lady or a gentleman…?

It’s outdated and outmoded. Language changes. It always has, it always will. It’s not that deep.

Recessio

But then again, if the courts are willing to entertain claims from people burning themselves by spilling a freshly poured scalding hot cup of coffee on the grounds that they weren’t told it was hot…..
This one is at best an urban myth/exaggerated truth, and at worst was a deliberate ploy by a certain golden arched fast food chain to spread a story that didn't make them look bad. I encourage you to read up on the real story behind it.
We can quote back and forth all day examples of L&G or not - it will differ based on personal experience, location, perception, generation and more. There’s loads of factors and it’s frankly a bit boring.

How many of those advocating for L+G to be used actually own land, one of the criteria for being a lady or a gentleman…?

It’s outdated and outmoded. Language changes. It always has, it always will. It’s not that deep.
Hear hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.