• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help! Any options in France but OuiGo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GospelOak117

Hi everyone.

Owing to Ryanair kindly cancelling their route to Marseille from May31st and subsequently cancelling my flight, I now have to fly to Lyon and make my own way down to Marseille.

I would arrive at Lyon Exupery airport at 14:00 - just missing the 14:12 OuiGo service to Marseille. Trouble is there is according to SNCFs journey planner no other way of getting between the two cities (France's two second cities may I add)until the next OuiGo service over 3.5 hours later!

Surely France's rail services can't be this poor? Am I for some reason only being shown the budget OuiGo services, and if so how do I find details of other trains in the region. I am pretty sure there must be more TGV services than this?

Any guidance to finding an alternative rail service would be most appreciated otherwise I'll have to hire a car . (Btw the French strikes are due to have finished by this time)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

k-c-p

Maybe taking the Rhoneexpress tram from Lyon airport to Lyon Part Dieu station might be an option. Trams run every 15min, the ride takes about 30min and cost 15EUR. Lyon PD has frequent TGVs to Marseille.

There a TGV at 15:36 from PD, www.trainline.eu shows prices of 25-30 EUR for this train atm.

Bon Voyage
Charly

GospelOak117

Thanks for this Charly. I had previously searched from all Lyon stations on the SNCFs website but it does seem I needed to specifically select part dieu station. This will save me quite a few hours of hanging around an airport!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Frothy

Having tried this several times, you cannot avoid the high airport tram fee by using any other public transport.
You can walk from the Airport to an out of town park-and-ride site, but there is no other direct option than the tram as TCL ended direct bus services to the airport when they built the RhonExpress. At least not since the last time I was there a year ago.

dutchflyer

Established Member
for H-Ex there are millions of cheaper and slower other options, incl free buses of TfL around that airport.
Unfortunatly, there is indeed no easy or even uneasy alternative to Lyon. As is the case in fact at many French local airports.
This tramway is completely set apart from the normal cheap city-transport.
There are some-also quite pricey- direct bus links to other towns further away. These wont save a centime.

Status
Not open for further replies.