• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help - Marylebone to Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ega05th

Hi,

I currently commute in 40-50 mins from Bucks into London Marylebone, from which I take the tube (Bakerloo - Central) to Holborn.

My office is moving to Bank, and I'm really anxious about the increase in commute time and stress, particularly as I find it quite exhausting already.

Could someone please recommend the best route to take? My thoughts were:

1) Continue with the Bakerloo - Central option, but carry on to Bank. The pro being this is the fastest, the con being it's extremely hard getting onto the central line, and hellish once on the tube itself.

2) Walk to Baker Street and take one of the Hammersmith & City / Met lines around to Liverpool Street and walk. Pro being that it's less crowded, con being is that it takes a lot longer.

3) Take the Bakerloo down to Embankment, then change to the district across to Monument and walk. Not tried this route yet?

I'm keen to keep the commute time down if possible, but without making the journey too miserable. Any advice/tips from people who have done, or still do, this route?

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Bakerloo to Baker Street then Jubilee to Southwark or London Bridge and walk?
All rather depends on how close to, and which side of, the Bank road junction you will be.

For comfort I would tend to go with the Met / Circle option from Baker Street.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Probably not a good option with London traffic but you could get the 205 bus from Marylebone Station but you would need to research which would be the best stop to get off. I regularly use this bus from Marylebone to Euston, St Pancras or Kings Cross.

I know it is backtracking and a slightly longer walk, but I sometimes walk to Edgware Road (H&C, Circle line) as a change from walking to Baker Street.

Chris M

If your office is north of Bank then alighting at Moorgate is very likely going to be quicker than Liverpool Street. If you're northwest then Barbican might be an option too.

rebmcr

Established Member
I find it quite exhausting already.

I flat-out avoid the deep tube lines during the peaks, unless I'm in a serious hurry. I would heartily recommend the Circle to Moorgate or Liverpool Street — it's also air-conditioned which will be particularly pleasant as we get into the hotter weather!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Once Crossrail opens, the Central should not be such a pain on that section.

Nick66

Bank is only 3 stops further than Holborn, and the first one is less than a minute. Not many people get on after Holborn in that direction in the morning. Once you start adding in extra changes you increase your chance of disruption.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Research where the new office is located and see if it's a reasonable walk from one of the sub-surface line stations, if so use these as they have air conditioning and walk through carriages, a nicer environment I should think!

Taunton

Established Member
You might even find, when Crossrail opens in 8 months time, it is more efficient to go from Marylebone back to Paddington, then forward by Crossrail. There are all sorts of journeys that will divert in this way.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You might even find, when Crossrail opens in 8 months time, it is more efficient to go from Marylebone back to Paddington, then forward by Crossrail. There are all sorts of journeys that will divert in this way.

Assisted by the direct Bakerloo-Elizabeth Line interchange subway at Paddington. Not a daft route suggestion at all, and the eastern Liverpool Street entrance is handy for the northern side of the Bank area.

LU_timetabler

I change Bakerloo to District/Circle every day at Embankment, very easy change, not very crowded. Air con on the sub-surface trains.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I change Bakerloo to District/Circle every day at Embankment, very easy change, not very crowded. Air con on the sub-surface trains.

You will need to find your way round the Bank/Monument station. I have been sent some weird routes even onto a District/Circle platform when changing between tube lines at Bank.

ega05th

Thanks all for your responses.

I think the bakerloo to embankment or Waterloo make most sense for now (at least until the crossrail opens).

The office is near the Lloyds, so is near leadenhall market and monument.

The option to just continue on the central line is one I want to avoid, as I often end up unable to get on a tube and have to walk from Oxford Circus.

button_boxer

Established Member
The office is near the Lloyds, so is near leadenhall market and monument.

In which case either Liverpool Street or Aldgate stations are just as good as Bank, and they both have direct service on the Circle line from Baker Street.

oversteer

Bakerloo to Waterloo then W&C is an bad option IMO, far more walking. Walk to Baker Street, Circle to Aldgate. Air conditioned too!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
What's the last station your usual service into Marylebone stops at before the terminus?

Non Multi

I'd take the walk (or the Bakerloo line) to Baker St station and use the Metropolitan line (usually less crowded) to Liverpool St, adding in an extra 20-25 minutes for your journey.

Another way: Bakerloo to Baker St, then change on to Jubilee line (v. easy) to London Bridge. You can then either walk over London Bridge into the City (10-15 minute walk), or use South Eastern trains into Cannon St, or the Northern line (Bank branch) to Bank/Monument.

PeterC

Established Member
I'd take the walk (or the Bakerloo line) to Baker St station and use the Metropolitan line (usually less crowded) to Liverpool St, adding in an extra 20-25 minutes for your journey.

Another way: Bakerloo to Baker St, then change on to Jubilee line (v. easy) to London Bridge. You can then either walk over London Bridge into the City (10-15 minute walk), or use South Eastern trains into Cannon St, or the Northern line (Bank branch) to Bank/Monument.
Going to London Bridge you are pushing against a heavy flow heading to Canary Wharf. I gave up commuting to Southwark and walked from Waterloo instead because of the shear difficulty of getting off the train.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
You could do Met Line to Aldgate which may be slightly closer to Leadenhall Market than Liverpool St. I always prefer the subsurface trains, more space, more chance of getting a seat, less crowded, aircon

Status
Not open for further replies.