• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help me with my EPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Does Yorkshire count as the north or the south in your survey?

The "real life scenario" question doesn't seem to relate to rolling stock - why would anyone have to make this choice? How can they answer sensibly if they haven't been on either route before?

What does the last question mean?

tomwills98

How will Wales be viewed as Cardiff is the same latitude as London, and Prestatyn and Rhyl near enough the same as Liverpool and Manchester? Good luck with the exams

I've completed it for you. I assume the last question is just agreeing/disagreeing that there is a North/South divide and what evidence there is.

I used to teach EPQ and most of the marks are not for what you actually produce at the end, it's about a planning process and carrying out that plan with constant reviews and tutorials during the process. Universities like it as it helps students with the change from being "spoon fed" at school to researching etc at diploma or degree level.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
What's an Extended Project Qualification?

What area of the UK do you live -
Ireland
Not the UK

Neither of these are areas of the UK - don't you need GCSEs before you do A Levels these days?

Does Birmingham count as the south or north?

SamBellhouse

What's an Extended Project Qualification?

What area of the UK do you live -
Ireland
Not the UK

Neither of these are areas of the UK - don't you need GCSEs before you do A Levels these days?

Does Birmingham count as the south or north?

hello, i apologise for this, it was a quickly made questionnaire as the original was on survey monkey but i could not pay for that, i do apologise, i also received a 9 in Geography GCSE

SamBellhouse

Does Yorkshire count as the north or the south in your survey?

The "real life scenario" question doesn't seem to relate to rolling stock - why would anyone have to make this choice? How can they answer sensibly if they haven't been on either route before?

What does the last question mean?

Sorry, meant to include a class 800, and its all to do with rolling stock allocation on journey lengths

The_Train

Established Member
HELLO, i got a 9 in GCSE Geography

Haha don't let these lot get to you Sam. Just read through a few threads on here and you'll soon see that a number of people will always want to feel superior to others, mainly by belittling them. I think it's something to do with the hobby......'my anorak is brighter than yours' etc ;):E

SamBellhouse

Haha don't let these lot get to you Sam. Just read through a few threads on here and you'll soon see that a number of people will always want to feel superior to others, mainly by belittling them. I think it's something to do with the hobby......'my anorak is brighter than yours' etc ;):E

haha!

The Nomad

I don't understand why you chose those two routes and what any answer would mean. I think I'd prefer to go to Bristol over Hexham, but that's got nothing to do with trains. It's only recently are the brand new IETs replacing HSTs, which are roughly the same age as Pacers - so what's the point? All the Pacers have to withdrawn this year to be replaced (to some extent) by brand new trains.

Most people on here seemingly would prefer the shabby chic HST over the brand-new IETs anyway.

You didn't do the FGW questionnaire on the buffet car did you?

BJames

Established Member
I've completed it for you. I assume the last question is just agreeing/disagreeing that there is a North/South divide and what evidence there is.

I used to teach EPQ and most of the marks are not for what you actually produce at the end, it's about a planning process and carrying out that plan with constant reviews and tutorials during the process. Universities like it as it helps students with the change from being "spoon fed" at school to researching etc at diploma or degree level.
I've done an EPQ as well, some Russell Group universities such as Southampton and others will give you lower entry requirements on completion of an EPQ to Grade A standard. It's certainly a good thing to do! Good luck with the rest of the process.

I've done the questionnaire as well.

SamBellhouse

I've done an EPQ as well, some Russell Group universities such as Southampton and others will give you lower entry requirements on completion of an EPQ to Grade A standard. It's certainly a good thing to do! Good luck with the rest of the process.

I've done the questionnaire as well.

yeah! im looking for an apprenticeship with northern and thought this would help!

BJames

Established Member
What's a '9'?
Bear in mind that plenty of people on here wouldn't have done GCSEs, let alone done them with a 9
New grading. Equivalent of slightly higher than an A*. A* typically now classed as a grade 8-9.

Edit to add: Sorry I should explain this more. The new system is based on 9-1 with 9 being the highest grade and 1 being the lowest. This completely replaces the old A*-G system with all new grades being numbered. Effectively, for example, an old Grade C would now be a grade 5.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
New grading. Equivalent of slightly higher than an A*. A* typically now classed as a grade 8-9.

Edit to add: Sorry I should explain this more. The new system is based on 9-1 with 9 being the highest grade and 1 being the lowest. This completely replaces the old A*-G system with all new grades being numbered. Effectively, for example, an old Grade C would now be a grade 5.
Cheers for that. All this Year 1, 2, 3 etc confuses me, as it was completely different when I went through the education system!

telstarbox

Established Member

And some people on here do this sort of research for a living, so they know that asking useful questions is vital to get useful answers :)

sjpowermac

Established Member
Haha, spot on:)

Sam, I’ve filled in the survey too, I hope your project goes well. Congratulations on the grade 9 in Geography, that’s a fantastic achievement. Best wishes too for your future career, good luck with Northern:)

sjpowermac

Established Member
And some people on here do this sort of research for a living, so they know that asking useful questions is vital to get useful answers :)
I see what you are saying, and I’m sure that you meant well:)

I read the survey as gauging the quality of rolling stock on different routes. I agree about the journey being a bit of an artificial situation, but guessed the gist of it easily enough;)

I’ve not got any experience of this kind of research, but perhaps those who have might offer to help Sam rephrase the questions if they feel the questions are unclear.

The_Train

Established Member

Valid point but it's It's how some people phrase the questions and how their approach comes across on an internet forum (and this is no dig at you, just a general response to your points)

SamBellhouse

wow, most people seem nice here! I got some.. interesting replies such as "f*ck yourself" etc so nice to see some nice people!

wow, most people seem nice here! I got some.. interesting replies such as "f*ck yourself" etc so nice to see some nice people!

Really?! That's disgusting and it's a shame that person or persons are too cowardly to do that in the open. As a teacher I despair at the attitudes of some people but I wish you well mate, you are miles above them already.

ComUtoR

Established Member

I can see how people might be offended when your opening question is

"What area of the UK do you live"
North (Liverpool/Manchester area)
The actual North (Newcastle area)
South (everywhere else)
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Not the UK

SamBellhouse

South (everywhere else)
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Not the UK

ye, im aware i should have changed it! It was meant for a smaller group of people but i needed more responses to improve my reliability, i do apologise.

SamBellhouse

Overall, thank you to everyone who contributed, i know some of the questions are phrased badly and that ones on me, i rushed it over to google forms so i could get it out to you all so sorry!

South (everywhere else)
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
Not the UK
I think you'd have to be a little bit of a snowflake to be actually offended by that. Also, knowing the context of who wrote the questions, a bit of leaway should be given as not everyone is as worldly wise as everyone else at that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.