• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help needed with model building

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
C9C3AFC6-CF60-4923-AF7A-678269A4B4C5.jpeg Hi all,

I am looking at reproducing this photo in model form and include it within my layout. But I’m stuck where to start. The lorry is fine as I can repaint and transfer the trailer picture. The lorries inside I can recreate but it’s the building that has me stumped. What material to use. How to form the structure.

Probably not explaining it well, would appreciate any advice given.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What scale are you looking at Anthony, 00?
I’d agree with trash80 about adapting a kit. Although saying that it is quite a simple building to replicate being basically a brick rectangle with a few windows/doors etc (pretty sure you can buy similar windows and doors but I’m not sure where from).
A decent model shop would give you good advice. Dave in The Model Shop in Exeter would probably be able to help you the next time you’re down here. I wouldn’t be surprised if he could supply a few of the things you’d need if you showed him the picture too.
There’s some rather nice old kit behind those windows...
There must’ve been a few Gregory’s Transport limited editions produced by someone at some point I’d have thought too?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
What scale are you looking at Anthony, 00?
I’d agree with trash80 about adapting a kit. Although saying that it is quite a simple building to replicate being basically a brick rectangle with a few windows/doors etc (pretty sure you can buy similar windows and doors but I’m not sure where from).
A decent model shop would give you good advice. Dave in The Model Shop in Exeter would probably be able to help you the next time you’re down here. I wouldn’t be surprised if he could supply a few of the things you’d need if you showed him the picture too.
There’s some rather nice old kit behind those windows...
There must’ve been a few Gregory’s Transport limited editions produced by someone at some point I’d have thought too?

Thxs, I will call in Exeter models next few weeks. Gregory have 00 scale lorries available, work for them so that’s sorted but the vintage lorries haven’t been made in Gregory livery. There hasn’t been a reason to up till now with the 100 anniversary.

AnthonyRail

Established Member

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Thxs, I will call in Exeter models next few weeks. Gregory have 00 scale lorries available, work for them so that’s sorted but the vintage lorries haven’t been made in Gregory livery. There hasn’t been a reason to up till now with the 100 anniversary.
Not sure on which scale to model on, was going to be 00 and use on model rail layout, but given it’s a project I want to share the final finished item with work, now I’m think of larger like 1:50 and it being stand alone display item.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Might it be easier to construct a structure in plain material (thick card, plastic sheet, etc.) and then stick a copy of the photo onto that structure. There are commercial organisations that will produce photos to required sizes for what should be affordable costs.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Might it be easier to construct a structure in plain material (thick card, plastic sheet, etc.) and then stick a copy of the photo onto that structure. There are commercial organisations that will produce photos to required sizes for what should be affordable costs.
That's a good idea. I've been considering modelling a certain well known closed ex Southern station near me in N gauge, but I can't find anything suitable in kit form.
I may try something similar myself...

AnthonyRail

Established Member
That's a good idea. I've been considering modelling a certain well known closed ex Southern station near me in N gauge, but I can't find anything suitable in kit form.
Well known lol, I’m Trying to work out where that be.

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Oh yes. I would never have thought about that.

Thank you. That would work and save a lot hassle.

I will cut out windows and glass front, and put real model sized vehicles inside.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Barnstaple Junction?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Can’t be Tiverton junction as that’s GWR.

Seaton junction?
Exmouth Junction?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can’t be Tiverton junction as that’s GWR.

Seaton junction?
Exmouth Junction?

I'm currently eBaying my 00 stock to do an N gauge version of Seaton Junction (code name - Seatish Junction) set in the late 1980s.

Status
Not open for further replies.