• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help on tickets Derby - St Pancras 1st class

Status
Not open for further replies.

37078xotTE

Established Member
Hi All, help needed for Mrs 37078, her and 3 friends wish to go to the "smoke" on Sunday the 16th of December at aprox 14:00 (flexable) from Derby (or East midlands Parkway?) and return from St Pancras on the 17th at 18:00ish (flexable again) but they wish to travel 1st class any help advice on best tickets/splitting would be gladly recieved. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bangor-toad

Hi there,
I travel up and down the MML and I've always found that if you get advance tickets it seems to be the best deal.

At the moment there's an advance single Derby - London at 14:19 for £28 (1st class) and cheap options for the return from St Pancras on the 18 are:
17:45 £69
18:55 £50
19:55 £32
20:25 £24

Those are per person single fares with no discounts.
I'd be surprised if it's possible to beat those with any clever splits but I'd love to hear if it is possible!
Cheers,
Jason

telstarbox

Established Member
On the Sunday an EMT Weekend First upgrade is £9. So if the difference between the cheapest Standard and First tickets is more than £9, buy the Standard ticket and upgrade on board.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I agree that booking Advance First tickets will be your cheapest bet. There are no clever splits (I am 99% sure) and the prices seem very decent at the moment.

Bear in mind that there is very little on offer in First Class at weekends. They will only get one round of tea/coffee (two if lucky) and free WiFi thrown in. There are no free nibbles and First Class could be busy with many people taking advantage of the cheap upgrade.

37078xotTE

Established Member
Thanks all, I didn't think there would be any splits but allways worth as shot!!

button_boxer

Established Member
Thanks all, I didn't think there would be any splits but allways worth as shot!!

Particularly on weekdays you'll not get anywhere with splits unless you're prepared to take the "stopper" from St Pancras and change at Leicester. Most (all?) through London to Derby trains on weekdays are first stop Leicester.

Status
Not open for further replies.