• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help! Summons letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistakes

Hi
I was caught travelling without a valid ticket and then the officer went through my Trainline app and saw it happened couple times before.
I was sent a letter to write back with my version of event pleading my case which I did within 7 days
Now I've been sent a summons (attached ). I'm really worried as I thought I could a pay fine and not go court. Here I've been summoned and says to plead guilty. This is a very silly mistake, I'm only 25 in a grad job and I would never think of doing something like this ever again
I'm scared this will go on my record. I don't really understand if the £150 plus outstanding fees is an out of court settlement offer or I'm actually convicted.
Please offer any advice I'm very scared.

Attachments

• PXL_20231012_133112331.~4_exported_1697118275443.jpg
    PXL_20231012_133112331.~4_exported_1697118275443.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!

As things stand, the railway have decided to take you to court. You are being summonsed to attend. At court you will need to plead guilty or not guilty.

If you plead guilty, the court will then punish you by a fine, based on your income. There will also be court costs and the compensation claimed by the railway (that's the £150) on top.

If you plead 'not guilty' then the court may go on to immediately try you - the prosecution get to speak, you get to speak, if there are witnesses they are heard and may be cross-examined. Then the magistrates/district judge decides if you are guilty or not guilty. If you are not guilty, you go home but if you are guilty then you are punished and pay costs as above. Or it's quite likely that the trial will be put off to another day when they've got the time to do it.

If you do not attend, you will be found guilty and you will be punished and face costs. An assumption will be made about your income and that will set the fine. They clearly have your address so sooner rather than later you will get a letter demanding payment.

This all sounds pretty grim, but <edit> before the trial </edit> you can still write back to the railway company asking if they will agree to an out of court settlement. You need to make it clear that you have learnt your lesson and that you will not fare dodge again. They may agree to let you settle for something like the amount of compensation that they are claiming.

If they don't agree, we sometimes hear of people managing to agree an out of court settlement on the day and at the court by talking to the prosecutor. Arrive early, and ask court staff if they can show you who is prosecuting your case. Then ask the prosecutor very, very nicely if they will be prepared to let you settle without being prosecuted. You might get lucky, and they might say yes.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Hi
I was caught travelling without a valid ticket and then the officer went through my Trainline app and saw it happened couple times before.
I was sent a letter to write back with my version of event pleading my case which I did within 7 days
Now I've been sent a summons (attached ). I'm really worried as I thought I could a pay fine and not go court. Here I've been summoned and says to plead guilty. This is a very silly mistake, I'm only 25 in a grad job and I would never think of doing something like this ever again
I'm scared this will go on my record. I don't really understand if the £150 plus outstanding fees is an out of court settlement offer or I'm actually convicted.
Please offer any advice I'm very scared.
What did you tell them?

Status
Not open for further replies.