• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with a memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastYorksLad

I need help with a memory.
I grew up in Hull in 1980s and 1990s.
It was a pretty awful childhood. But few happy memories were my older brother taking me for trips on the train out of Hull Paragon. We’d ride to York, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester. A moment of freedom away from the unpleasantness that awaited when I came back.
In the late 1980s I think (exact date I can’t recall), my brother left, and I never saw him again. The last and enduring memory I have is him boarding a train in Hull Paragon.

I need help remembering that train and where it might have gone.

It left from platform 2.
It wasn’t the usual pacer class 142, 143, 144; nor class 155, 156 or 158. Nor was it an older train with doors you opened yourself.
It has automatic doors, and having looked through many pictures on the Internet, the closest that resembles it was the class 151.
Platform 1 was in operation at the time, as during the tearful goodbye, a train load of people walked by having arrived at platform 1 and I remember feeling self conscious.
The train departed mid morning, and it was a weekday.
Did that train class or something looking similar ever come to Hull? If so, what would have been its route and final destination?

If you can help, I’d be most grateful. It would help me clarify a fading memory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
I need help with a memory.
I grew up in Hull in 1980s and 1990s.
It was a pretty awful childhood. But few happy memories were my older brother taking me for trips on the train out of Hull Paragon. We’d ride to York, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester. A moment of freedom away from the unpleasantness that awaited when I came back.
In the late 1980s I think (exact date I can’t recall), my brother left, and I never saw him again. The last and enduring memory I have is him boarding a train in Hull Paragon.

I need help remembering that train and where it might have gone.

It left from platform 2.
It wasn’t the usual pacer class 142, 143, 144; nor class 155, 156 or 158. Nor was it an older train with doors you opened yourself.
It has automatic doors, and having looked through many pictures on the Internet, the closest that resembles it was the class 151.
Platform 1 was in operation at the time, as during the tearful goodbye, a train load of people walked by having arrived at platform 1 and I remember feeling self conscious.
Did that train class or something looking similar ever come to Hull? If so, what would have been its route and final destination?

If you can help, I’d be most grateful. It would help me clarify a fading memory.
Don't think this helps much but this page on the Class 151 gives a fair bit of detail of the operations - but as it was a prototype that never went into regular production it seems a long shot that it would be what you saw at Hull that day

Any chance you could be thinking of the much more common Class 150 (automatic doors at least - produced with 2 different styles of front end)? I only mention this as you don't mention that in your post of the types you rule out.

Just wondering if you add a bit more to your thread title - eg - 'tracing a late 1980s Hull train departure' you might get people who have logs of services or know what routes were served out of Platform 2 seeing the thread and posting info that may help.

Good luck with this search.

3RDGEN

Late 80's in Hull for auto door stock in normal daily service that isn't a 14x then 150/2 is the most likely, although the only real similarity with the 151 is the large double leaf doors at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions of the coach. 156's did start running to Hull from 1988/89, similar livery but the doors are the vehicle ends.

This wikipedia page shows 150/1 & /2's in original BR liveries if you scroll down a bit, there is some similarity with the 151 one but limited,

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_150"

Re Destination, Platform 2 may suggest a departure in the Brough direction more than up the coast to Bridlington perhaps. If so then could be Doncaster/Sheffield, York or a Transpennine service which back then ran to Leeds / Manchester Vic / North Wales.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It left from platform 2.

Someone on this forum has probably got Working Timetables (WTT) from Hull for periods in the late 1980s that would show typical operation patterns from the different platforms on say a weekday - and thus the destinations served by each train scheduled at Platform 2 in say summer 1988 for example.

@EastYorksLad Do you have any idea of the year or month (or even season eg summer or winter) or could narrow it down? - am guessing perhaps not or you would have said.

Capybara

I'm sorry I can't help @EastYorksLad but I just wanted to say how sad I was reading your post and that I hope you find what you are looking for and that life is much better for you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.