• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with a new DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm thinking if getting a DSLR camera for an upcoming interrail trip.
Does anyone have any suggestions for one, I'm looking to spend £100-200 on one.
Thanks

Really sorry, I meant to post this in the photography advice section :oops:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
A new DSLR is going to be out of your price range with a Canon EOS 1300D and 18-55mm “kit” lens being around £280.

You should be able to get an older EOS 1100D or 1200D and lens second hand for your budget. Have a look on eBay. Look carefully for the description of condition and also how many shots (exposures) the camera has taken (the lower the better).

If you want a Nikon they have equivalent cameras.

You may want to consider the flexibility of a “bridge” camera. They look a little like a DSLR but the lens is not removable but in general they have very long zooms. They are typically smaller and lighter than DSLRs - a consideration when travelling. They usually have digital viewfinders and a screen and as such tend to be a little more power hungry than DSLRs so buy a spare battery.

There are many choices from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic - avoid the likes of Kodak and unknown brands. There are disadvantages - they are usually inferior to DSLR when it comes to low light (non flash) performance due to a smaller physical sensor (chip size not the number of megapixels). On newer models shutter speed/shots per second should be suitable for high speed shots of moving trains.

As an example: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7433003?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200291090|agid:12525698210|tid:pla-336843405747|crid:66128554850|nw:g|rnd:14257711037929257298|dvc:m|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:1006717&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4i758Kh2QIVT7HtCh2GlgLAEAQYAiABEgI_IvD_BwE

We covered this last year too:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/dslr-or-bridge.144981/

Last edited:

plcd1

If you are prepared to consider second hand kit then you could get yourself a very decent body for not a lot of money and perhaps team it up with a standard 18-55mm kit lens as your starting point. Take a look at mpb.com --> they have Canon 40D or 50D bodies for not much over £100. Both are very decent cameras and take both standard and the much more expensive "L" series Canon lens. I have a 40D as a back up camera to my 5D MkII. I owned the 40D before upgrading but won't part with it as it's a very nice piece of kit. Looking at prices for a Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 III you can get an excellent condition second hand lens for £49 so you could get a very decent body and basic lens (which you'd get with any new basic new DSLR) for just shy of £160. The best investment is always in good quality lens when your budget allows but it's a tough call for new lens with the exchange rate the way it is these days.

Obviously there are some risks with second hand kit but I've had issues with every new Canon camera I've bought so buying new is no guarantee either. :frown:

Sorry I can't comment on other makes as I've tended to stick with Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.