• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with complicated route please. Leicester to Kew Bridge to Cromer

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneparis

Hello can anyone please give me some help with the following route:
Friday 21 October Leicester to Kew Bridge BUT including a break at Blackfriars and then from Blackfriars to Piccadilly Circus( or Oxford Circus) then on to Kew Bridge

Sunday 23rd Kew Bridge to Cromer

Tuesday 25th Cromer to Leicester

What is the cheapest way to do this three part journey? It would be useful but not essential to have some flexibility on the journey from cromer to leicester (maybe weds 26th instead of 25th). But not essential.

Confusion. Sunday is showing as bus replacement for the ipswitch to norwich section BUT shows via cambridge - is the route via cambridge also bus replacement??

Many thanks for any help

Kind regards

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello can anyone please give me some help with the following route:
Friday 21 October Leicester to Kew Bridge BUT including a break at Blackfriars and then from Blackfriars to Piccadilly Circus( or Oxford Circus) then on to Kew Bridge

Sunday 23rd Kew Bridge to Cromer

Tuesday 25th Cromer to Leicester

What is the cheapest way to do this three part journey? It would be useful but not essential to have some flexibility on the journey from cromer to leicester (maybe weds 26th instead of 25th). But not essential.

Confusion. Sunday is showing as bus replacement for the ipswitch to norwich section BUT shows via cambridge - is the route via cambridge also bus replacement??

Many thanks for any help

Kind regards
Unfortunately, the fact that walkup single tickets generally cost only £1 or so less than a return means there's an effective 'tax' on triangular journeys if you want flexibility. Accordingly you will likely be best served by buying Advance tickets, as these are priced as individual journeys and so don't carry the same premium of walkup singles.

You haven't said what time you'd like to travel on any of these journeys so I'll quote a few options.

For your first leg of the journey on the Friday, you'll be best off buying an Advance to London St Pancras. The cheapest Advance at a sensible time is £12.50 (with your Railcard) on the 13:13 from Leicester, which would get you to St Pancras at 14:27. If that's too late, the 09:12, 10:13 or 10:32 are all £20.45, the 11:13, 11:32, 12:32, 12:43 or 13:04 are £17.45, and the 11:43 or 12:13 are £15.15. All have journey times of between 1h04m and 1h14m. More expensive Advances are also available on other services, but those are the ones worth considering in my view.

You would then use a contactless or Oyster card for the remainder of your travel that day - you'll hit the daily Zones 1-3 cap with the journeys you make. It would be slightly cheaper to get your Railcard applied to an Oyster card (you can have this done at any Underground station), as that would mean the daily cap would be discounted from £9 to £5.95 - but you can also just use a contactless card if you don't mind paying the undiscounted price.

For the second leg of the journey on the Sunday, as you say, the normal route from Liverpool Street to Norwich has replacement buses between Ipswich and Norwich. You can alternatively travel via Cambridge, Ely and Thetford if you prefer - this avoids the replacement buses, although it doesn't save any time because it's a longer route.

If you want to avoid the replacement buses, it looks like Advances are available for just £10.45 on pretty much any itinerary, if you are happy to change at Clapham Junction, Victoria, Kings Cross, Ely and Norwich. TrainSplit suggests this when you select 'value' mode. The reason for the (theoretically unnecessary) change at Clapham Junction is that none of the other trains in the journey have reservations available, and you need at least one reservation to be issued when you buy an Advance ticket. It doesn't cost you any extra time though, it just means an additional change.

You'd otherwise have to pay at least £22.40 to travel via Liverpool Street and Cambridge, or £31.40 to travel via Kings Cross and Cambridge/Ely. In my view the significant saving justifies the slight inconvenience, but that's obviously for you to decide.

For the third leg of the journey on the Tuesday, it will cost you quite a bit extra to have flexibility - a through single is £40.30, and even if you buy a combination of tickets splitting at Norwich and Stamford, it will cost you £35.30. By comparison, through Advances are available from £14.50 - on the 05:53, 06:42, 10:58, 12:58, 14:58 and 17:00 departures from Cromer - changing at Norwich and Ely. Slightly more expensive Advances are also available on other departures.

Overall, you can make your triangular journey from as little as £43.40 if you choose Advances and go for the cheapest trains. I'd say that's pretty good value for money!

suzanneparis

Watershed. Many thanks that's very helpful of you.
I shall go for the singles in advance. I hadn't realised about the booking a seat business. Presumably for the clapham junction route my start point is kew bridge?
So if I go via Cambridge I will be on the train which is much better for me at my age.
Also as you say the total cost is reasonable. even for a pensioner

Many many thanks!

Best wishes

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Watershed. Many thanks that's very helpful of you.
I shall go for the singles in advance. I hadn't realised about the booking a seat business. Presumably for the clapham junction route my start point is kew bridge?
So if I go via Cambridge I will be on the train which is much better for me at my age.
Also as you say the total cost is reasonable. even for a pensioner

Many many thanks!

Best wishes
No problem!

Yes, the fare I quoted was from Kew Bridge; the train you would catch continues to Waterloo and logically that's what you'd do - but in order to be able to buy that cheap Advance fare, you have to change at Clapham Junction for the train to Victoria. It's a bit of a bizarre quirk (you won't even have an assigned seat, just a nominal 'any seat on this train', for the 5 minute journey from Clapham Junction to Victoria), but there you go.

If you have any problems booking, do come back and ask for help. You might need to put in 'via Cambridge' in addition to selecting Value mode, in order to get TrainSplit to show that fare.

suzanneparis

Thank you again. VERY much appreciated Watershed.

Kind regards

Sorry to bother you again.
Journey from Kew to Cromer now on monday 24th
Am just booking and wondered if there is any way that the journey from Kew Bridge to Cromer can be flexible on time - breaking journey in central london after leaving kew
Are the tickets for that journey fixed time? or do they understand you might have problems making a given train from Stratford (10.11 dept kew bridge to waterloo then tube to stratford then mainline dept stratford 11.38 to norwich to cromer is how NRE are showing the journey)

Thanks again for any help

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you again. VERY much appreciated Watershed.

Kind regards

Sorry to bother you again.
Journey from Kew to Cromer now on monday 24th
Am just booking and wondered if there is any way that the journey from Kew Bridge to Cromer can be flexible on time - breaking journey in central london after leaving kew
Are the tickets for that journey fixed time? or do they understand you might have problems making a given train from Stratford (10.11 dept kew bridge to waterloo then tube to stratford then mainline dept stratford 11.38 to norwich to cromer is how NRE are showing the journey)

Thanks again for any help
Yes, all the tickets I've proposed (except for travel around London on the Friday) are Advance tickets. This means you're tied to the itinerary and trains you select when booking.

If you'd like to break your journey in London, the easiest option is probably to use Oyster (with discount if you want)/contactless to get from Kew Bridge to wherever you're going, and then from there to Liverpool Street/Stratford. Unfortunately Advance tickets don't allow you to break your journey.

If you're delayed en-route then you can of course catch a later train (although the time allowed to cross London is usually very generous). But if it's simply the case of that you decided to stop off somewhere, that wouldn't work.

The other option would be to buy a flexible ticket instead. TrainSplit suggests the cheapest combination would be around £37. But if you're only looking for flexibility on the leg from Kew Bridge to/around London, Oyster/contactless will be your best bet.

suzanneparis

Thanks again

Couldn't book a seat.

The train from Leicester to St Pancras tomorrow at 11.13 would not allow me to book a seat. I booked a few days ago.

What is the reason for that? Anyone know.

Also, as I am old, I would struggle to stand all the way to London. Does anyone have any insight into how busy that train is likely to be? And what if anything can I do if I can't get a seat -could the guard help?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
EMR only allow a certain number of actual seat reservations on each service, probably something like 60-70% of the seating capacity. Once that's exceeded, you are given a notional 'any seat on this train' reservation.

As someone who would struggle to stand, you would be entitled to use a priority seat - these are seats generally located near the vestibules, with additional legroom. They are clearly indicated. If you are unable to find a seat, the Train Manager would likely be able to either ask someone whether they'd be willing to give up their seat, or if the train is very busy, they may decide to exercise their discretion and upgrade you to First Class.

suzanneparis

Many thanks again Watershed, very kind of you.

I've just checked that same train for three Fridays in the future - including Friday 9 Dec. For all three when I looked at booking a ticket it said:

• "Sit in any vacant unreserved seat except first class"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.