• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

help with dewsbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie babs

Can anyone help.
I have to get to Dewsbury hospital from Sheffield on 2nd July.

Does the route get busy in the morning ?
how far is the hospital from the station ?
What bus and where do I catch it from

I have never been before, not going on my own as I can`t travel without someone and they have never been either.

Any help would be good and thank you in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Traveline says that the journey is around 10 minutes, with several different Arriva buses serving the route.

West Yorkshire PTE have a good call centre, they will be able to help with the best bus to get and fares - 0113 245 7676.

Crossover

Established Member
Right, for a start, from Sheffield to Dewsbury, two routes are valid - via Huddersfield (and the Penistone Line) and via Leeds (NOT Doncaster)

I can't help you with how busy they are as I don't commute on the train, but the via Leeds is usually quickest (make sure you don't end up on a Northern service via Wakefield Kirkgate, as they take an age!) - usually a mix of XC (you could get a HST if you are lucky) and TransPennine Express (almost always a 185) - Northern also serve Leeds to Dewsbury twice an hour too, so there are 4 trains an hour on that stretch, they the TPE usually pretty much follows the Northern stopper.

The hospital is a little way from the station so a bus is your best bet (depending which unit in the hospital, even then, you may have a little bit of a walk, as AFAIK, the buses only serve the one part of the complex. The main one I am aware of is the 268 route (which is pretty frequent IIRC), but there are others. Dewsbury bus station is a fair size (some 18 stands) and it also has a travel centre, so you won't be stuck without information, plus there are live departure boards all round the place.

As for getting from the railway station to the bus station, you can either walk (couple of mins walk) or use the Free Town Bus (FTB). Either way, you need to come out of the main station entrance (which is on the Huddersfield bound platform - if you arrive FROM Huddersfield, you need to cross the bridge).

Straight opposite the main entrance is a bus stop. This is where the FTB leaves from, every 10 mins. The FTB from the railway station will give you a full tour of Dewsbury (including our lovely Sainsburys store!) before it gets to the bus station, but this still only takes a maximum of 10 mins (it doesn't usually get very busy)

If you would prefer to walk, the journey to the bus station is all downhill. Come out of the station as above, but head for the crossing directly opposite. Walk down the road to the right after crossing (the "Dewsbury Reporter" office will be on your right, and the registry office and a church will be on your left). At the bottom of the road is a car park - head down the hill to the right of this and the rest will be self explanatory as you cannot then miss the bus station!

If you want to clarify anything, feel free to PM me (it is my natural stomping ground, afterall!) - I can probably get more bus information for you if needs be, but another family member knows the routes better than I do.

WestRiding

i'd recomend using the leeds route, the penistone huddersfield route is extremely slow.

upon arriving at dewsbury it is a short dash downhill to the bus station, and route number 282, amongst many others.

There is also a very good taxi office on the railway station, about £4 to the hospital.

Bus times at; http://www.wymetro.com/BusTravel/bustimetables/200

Crossover

Established Member
I would recommend via Leeds as well. Bus wise, I checked with my family member and 268 and 282 are your best bet. The 268 is something like every 12 mins, whereas the 282 is every 30 mins or so. Plenty choice either way

WestRiding

And if you're thirsty, there is a great real ale pub, does food too, on the station. The West Riding.

tbtc

Veteran Member
There used to be a direct Sheffield - Dewsbury bus ever hour, sadly no longer running. Connections at Leeds should be decent though (with the frequency of Leeds - Dewsbury trains) - hope all goes okay at the hospital :)

Status
Not open for further replies.