• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hemel Hempstead to Doncaster / Newcastle via Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.

A S Leib

What would the best way to get tickets for a single journey from Hemel Hempstead to Newcastle (or Doncaster / Sheffield, using advance tickets north of there) with a 16-25 railcard, including breaks of journey at Nottingham and Lincoln?

An off-peak single from Hemel to Tamworth (LNR) is £25.70; what's the earliest the £17.80 super off-peak's valid on weekdays and Saturdays, as as far as I can tell the only morning restrictions are into London? Tamworth to Lincoln comes to ~£24 whether splitting at Nottingham or not, and the anytime day single from Lincoln to Doncaster's £13.45 (or £11.35 for an off-peak single to Sheffield).

I'm probably going to use advance tickets for considerable parts of the journey in any case, but in case none are available is there a cheaper flexible option than ~£65 for Hemel Hempstead - Nottingham - Lincoln - Doncaster / Sheffield? If I got a super off-peak single from Hemel Hempstead to Newcastle (£60.90), would Hemel - Watford / Milton Keynes - Birmingham / Tamworth - Derby - Nottingham - Newark and Doncaster / Sheffield - Newcastle be covered, with an excess just needed for Newark - Lincoln - Doncaster?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would all travel be completed the same day?

The LNR only Super Off-Peak Single from Hemel Hempstead to Tamworth has restriction code LG, which bars northbound departures before 10:30 Mondays-Saturdays. The more expensive equivalent Off-Peak Single has restriction code SK, which has no restrictions on Saturday (Mon-Fri, northbound departures would be barred before 08:45); however, it offers barely any saving over the "not via London" Off-Peak Single which is priced at 70% of the Off-Peak Return, compared to LNR's typical "£1 less than a return" pricing.

Technically speaking, a Hemel Hempstead to Newcastle ticket only permits northbound travel if you use one of the shortest routes (since it fails the fares check for Bletchley), which all involve travelling via Pontefract Baghill. Of course, the RDG claims that "most passengers wish to travel by the shortest route" so I'm sure you must be keen on fitting your travel plans around one of the 3 trains a day :lol:

In practice, you'll have no issue using it along all the usual permitted routes from Bletchley as no frontline member of staff will be any the wiser as to such minutiae. These include travel via the WCML to Carlisle, via Tamworth and Derby, or via Bedford. Travel via London is also permitted if you prefer. Travelling via Derby, Nottingham and Newark isn't permitted, although travel via Derby and Nottingham is permitted if you continue via Sheffield.

Last edited:

A S Leib

Would all travel be completed the same day?
Yes. On Mondays to Saturdays the last Lincoln to Doncaster train's at around 19:40, and there's three direct trains to Newcastle after that arrives (two from King's Cross, one from Reading).

Good point about the 'not via London' off-peak single, although if I do use that instead of advance tickets or excessing a HML - NCL single for the portions necessary I'd probably get the 'Watford not London' off-peak single, which I'm presuming is valid via New Street as well as the Trent Valley?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes. On Mondays to Saturdays the last Lincoln to Doncaster train's at around 19:40, and there's three direct trains to Newcastle after that arrives (two from King's Cross, one from Reading).

Good point about the 'not via London' off-peak single, although if I do use that instead of advance tickets or excessing a HML - NCL single for the portions necessary I'd probably get the 'Watford not London' off-peak single, which I'm presuming is valid via New Street as well as the Trent Valley?
Yes - it's valid both ways.

With a simple split at Lincoln (Super Off-Peak Single Hemel to Lincoln and Off-Peak Single onwards to Newcastle, there being no Super Off-Peak for LNER's non-London/Stevenage flows) you're looking at £36.00 + £33.10 = £69.10 to get to Newcastle - that gives you complete flexibility on your itinerary, including a break of journey at Nottingham and Lincoln. That's probably what I would go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.