• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railways open boxing day

Might go out tomorrow as I have nothing to do. So far from my research all I have found so far is Great Central, which while possible will be a bit of a pain since EMR isn't running. I'm interested if anywhere else will be open

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
It appears that quite a few heritage lines have shortened their Christmas offerings. Boxing Day seemed to be the day the Mince Pie specials started but we seem to be in a new era post Covid.

paul1609

Established Member
It appears that quite a few heritage lines have shortened their Christmas offerings. Boxing Day seemed to be the day the Mince Pie specials started but we seem to be in a new era post Covid.
Think its more likely to be a post Ukraine Era because huge energy costs increases have made the running uneconomic. Its worst at this time of year because of the need for heating and the short daylight hours.

Iskra

Established Member
Does anyone know what’s working the diesel turn at the KWVR tomorrow?
101 tomorrow

xotGD

Established Member
Leander and a Cravens unit on offer at the East Lancs.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The Railbus is working instead.
101 tomorrow

Sadly not the 101.

The 101 has developed an intermittent air fault which needs closer attention to investigate and rectify.

The Railbus operated yesterday, but was full and standing on some trips.

The 144 will be out today and tomorrow, with I think the Railbus again on Friday.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Think its more likely to be a post Ukraine Era because huge energy costs increases have made the running uneconomic. Its worst at this time of year because of the need for heating and the short daylight hours.

Same thing in a way, as the war started in early-22. Post-Christmas specials in '21 had to be scaled back because of the uncertainty surrounding the easing of restrictions until summer '21. Most festive events are usually organised 9 to 12 months in advance.

paul1609

Established Member
Indeed if you want to visit us at the K&ESR you can book up until 31/12/24. Santa specials will open next month we won't be running on 26/12/24.