• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HEX driver query

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeGrimpeur

Anyone on here currently working as a HEX driver?

I have a couple of questions if someone can spare a minute.
Ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeGrimpeur

Whats the Shift pattern?

What are the hours whilst training?

Is the training wage fixed for the training period or are there any increases.

Are there any additions to the stated salary like se allowance, sundays/bank hols etc.

Thanks

Termy

I don't currently work at HEX or GWR myself, but I was told at interview the earliest book on time is around 4am, and the latest book off about midnight, 1am, for Paddington. Hope this helps!

bionic

The only HEX drivers I've met are ex-HEX drivers. Three of them. They all said it's not a great place to work and people don't hang around there for long. I get the impression the majority of drivers still working there are either PQA or have safety of line records that make it hard to leave. Mind you, one of the ex-HEX drivers I spoke to (route learning in their new job with another London TOC) said people leave in their PQA period too if someone else will have them. Sorry that doesn't help you, but, from what I've been told, that company is a means to getting your key and then getting out as soon as you can.

LeGrimpeur

The only HEX drivers I've met are ex-HEX drivers. Three of them. They all said it's not a great place to work and people don't hang around there for long. I get the impression the majority of drivers still working there are either PQA or have safety of line records that make it hard to leave. Mind you, one of the ex-HEX drivers I spoke to (route learning in their new job with another London TOC) said people leave in their PQA period too if someone else will have them. Sorry that doesn't help you, but, from what I've been told, that company is a means to getting your key and then getting out as soon as you can.
Thanks for the info.

Ebee

Sounds strange. Why did they find it so terrible? I don't mind what I do, I'm grateful for the opportunity.

bionic

Repetitive work and having to book on and off at any one of three locations depending on the shift were the main things I was told. I think the reality is that there are far better driving jobs in London than HEX so why would you stick around there when you could take your key and go somewhere more interesting/better paid/closer to home/better conditions etc? It's not just HEX who suffer from that problem.

I'd advocate anyone going anywhere to get their key. But once you've got it you can go wherever you like. Thats the difference between trainee and qualified drivers. Trainees can't afford the luxury of shopping around.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
HeX is now part of GWR, so the progression will be from HeX to PAD GWR depot, effectively going from HeX to mainline within the same TOC when the opportunity arises

whoosh

Established Member
I have heard, although it was quite some time ago, that they work 6 days on 4 days off. Sundays are part of the working week.

Ebee

I was told 2 years HEX approx. 35 hour week. Wonder how that works over 6 days? :p

Stigy

Established Member
I was told 2 years HEX approx. 35 hour week. Wonder how that works over 6 days? :p
It’ll be an average 35hr week over 4-days I’d imagine. I say average because some weeks are generally longer than others, but then some are shorter, hence the 6 on 4 off.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The ENTIRE work content is ether OOC-PAD. OOC-Heathrow T5, or PAD-Heathrow T5

Mind numbing

bionic

Yes, it must be complete brain damage doing that one route all day every day.

Although don't forget that for variety they also get to do Heathrow Central - T4 poppers!
Its no wonder they can't keep hold of drivers.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
That's Crossrail! Every single diagram today and tomorrow is PAD-T5

LeGrimpeur

Bumping this if anyone can answer my original questions.
I’ve had no luck emailing hr yet.

Surburban

I have a HEX drivers course in starting in October. The shift pattern is 6 on 4 off. Not sure about the trainee pay, I was told one number in the final interview with no mention of it increasing during the training period (which is a surprisingly short 6 months). Reading the replies has been interesting, I’m super excited to get started and get my key!

LeGrimpeur

@suburban nice one, ill be seeing you in october then.

Ive emailed hr but no reply to try and find out how long we are in the classroom and when we go onto shift. Classroom stuff might be in reading? I'd like some more info so i can start planning childcare etc. If you have our line managers contact details could you dm me.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I have a HEX drivers course in starting in October. The shift pattern is 6 on 4 off. Not sure about the trainee pay, I was told one number in the final interview with no mention of it increasing during the training period (which is a surprisingly short 6 months). Reading the replies has been interesting, I’m super excited to get started and get my key!

Six months is probably about right for HEX as they don’t cover certain rule book modules like level crossings and the like as they sign have any !
One route, soon to be one traction etc

Surburban

Six months is probably about right for HEX as they don’t cover certain rule book modules like level crossings and the like as they sign have any !
One route, soon to be one traction etc

Yeah I know they’re bringing in the 387s for December. Do you think I’ll learn the 332’s or will they just train me on the 387’s?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The HEX courses will be GWR taught so, so they will cover the full rulebook.

The reduction comes in the lesser time required for handling and route learning, as it's only the one.

Scott1991

Also does anyone know if there's parking at the old oak common depot where hex drivers book on?

matt_world2004

Established Member
Yes, it must be complete brain damage doing that one route all day every day.

Although don't forget that for variety they also get to do Heathrow Central - T4 poppers!
Its no wonder they can't keep hold of drivers.
not anymore that's provided by TfL rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.