• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Speed Rail Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
On a HS line in the UK, with speed limits of 200mph+ say, the HS 200+mph trains would need in cab signally, but in theory, could any train use the line without it, just at <125?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unless they put up line side colour light signals I wouldn't have thought so, as the driver would have no way of knowing what signal aspect they were travelling under.

Waddon

... although it would be nice, on the day before public service begins, to clear the line from London to Birmingham and stick Tornado or a similar loco and Mark 1's on it and have a one-off, never to be repeated maximum speed drag...

jopsuk

Veteran Member
... although it would be nice, on the day before public service begins, to clear the line from London to Birmingham and stick Tornado or a similar loco and Mark 1's on it and have a one-off, never to be repeated maximum speed drag...

Never mind Tornado, how about one of the A4s and the streamlined Duchess? Sort out once-and-for-all which one of those was truly fastest? Line em up side by side, and go at the wave of the flag <D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
how about one of the A4s and the streamlined Duchess? Sort out once-and-for-all which one of those was truly fastest? Line em up side by side, and go at the wave of the flag

Normally I'm against these sorts of things on the main line as being a waste of resources but have to say I would love to see that sort of drag race between an A4 and a Duchess on HS2 just before it opened <D8-)

Hydro

Established Member
HS1 sees test trains loco hauled with 66's at night on it with no in cab signalling equipment fitted. The Special Operating Instructions are 17 pages long, the line is blocked and limits of testing are agreed in advance. Special signs and permanent temporary AWS magnets are dug in to warn the drivers of approaching work site limits. No train is permitted to go faster than 100km/h. The NMT has completed a trial and will take over some of the testing work, but again, not permitted over 100km/h.

Occasionally the Track Recording Coach runs with Carillion MPV's top and tailing it, these are fitted with TVM signalling kit and thus are not subject to any operating instructions (apart from having a CTRL minder on board). They are limited in speed also, just because they're MPV's and are ****.

merciandamo

Duchess or a4 for the win hmmmm What a fantastic race that would be! Would have to be done in daylight with full tv coverage. My bets on the a4 by a really small margin.

brianthegiant

there is always the ERTMS systems rack tender I believe being developed to allow steam hauled specials to run on the soon to be ERTMS equipped Cambrian Line.....

Waddon

It would be great promotion for HS2 just before it opened...

Anyway, if the experience of other high speed lines is to be followed, there will no doubt be some form of maximum speed run prior to opening using whatever trains they build for the line, to get the fastest ever London to Birmingham service... pity they don't allow passengers on those runs...

Status
Not open for further replies.