• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Winds ECML 17th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Park GATE or Park SIDE?

If the forner parkgate is the main double bridge just north of the station.

Parkside is to the south and known locally as the tunnel of death as it is tiny !

Smithfield road is also a small tunnel or low bridge
No need for capitals, I class that as shouting, but it was Parkside, simple mistake by self.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No need for capitals, I class that as shouting, but it was Parkside, simple mistake by self.
Thanks - just trying to highlight the difference- was worried that someone had somehiw managed to hit the double green brisges north of the station! That would take some doing!

InkyScrolls

Shipley Triangle services were especially badly affected yesterday due to:
  • Overhead issues at Leeds and Shipley
  • Three units (two 333s and a 331) breaking down at various places
  • A train striking a vehicle at Menston
  • Extremely high winds along the S&C
I was working on one of the first trains allowed west of Leeds following the lines reopening - it still took over three hours to reach Skipton (normally a 40 minute journey), but by 4pm everything was pretty much back to normal.

Hats off to Control and the signallers!

Last edited by a moderator:

skyhigh

Established Member
Surely there comes a point where you just give up on electric traction, run diesel only and wait for winds to die down.
Not as simple as that unfortunately. If something gets caught on the OHLE and is snagged by a passing train that's going to cause a whole load of problems. And not all of the issues in the Leeds area today were due to the OHLE anyway. A train hit trampoline near New Pudsey and trees were down on the Harrogate line, for example.

My suspicion is the building sites next to Leeds station which give no due care and attention to litter especially plastic sheeting have just shedded all their loose materials over the throat and things are wrapping in the wires faster than they can be removed.
There were bags blowing about all over the place. I saw a large blue canvas sack fly across Leeds West from a nearby site. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the issue.

A train striking a vehicle at Menston
I didn't hear about that, although the mind boggles at how that could be possible in that location. What was the service involved?

InkyScrolls

I didn't hear about that, although the mind boggles at how that could be possible in that location. What was the service involved?
Unfortunately I don't know why service it was, but apparently it was a woodchipper which had been cutting back trees which reversed into the path of a train.

TreacleMiller

Neville Hill. Leeds depot. Great strands of tarp stopping electric traction leaving for about 2 hours, plus issues near Wakefield Westgate and in and around the station.

On Moderation
Neville Hill. Leeds depot. Great strands of tarp stopping electric traction leaving for about 2 hours, plus issues near Wakefield Westgate and in and around the station.
Neville is NL. NH is Newton Heath. If you're going to use abbreviations like that, at least use the right one!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I knew there would be a trampoline involved somewhere in the disruption.

Ban them.
I feel like banning all trampolines because during storms they go nyoom and might cause issues is a bit of a stretch
although I would like if it was more common to nail them down or make them more secured to prevent this.
(also trampolines are fun)

Purple Train

Established Member
I feel like banning all trampolines because during storms they go nyoom and might cause issues is a bit of a stretch
although I would like if it was more common to nail them down or make them more secured to prevent this.
(also trampolines are fun)
They should definitely be secured - they're huge things that could cause quite some damage. How strongly secured would they need to be?
Also, I'm afraid I very much differ on how fun they are! :lol:

PG

Established Member
They should definitely be secured - they're huge things that could cause quite some damage. How strongly secured would they need to be?
Also, I'm afraid I very much differ on how fun they are! :lol:
4+ large horse shoes has kept our large trampoline secured for years. Trees down and slates off roof but trampoline hasn't budged!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
(1) How strongly secured would they need to be?
(2) Also, I'm afraid I very much differ on how fun they are! :lol:
(as I was typing this point 1 was answered #46)
2. They can be fun to just bounce for a bit occasionally, we had one in our back garden for many years (never flew away or anything despite being unsecured beyond its own weight) and it's just sometimes nice in a cool evening, although I would've been quite a bit younger (maybe 6 or so years ago so about 11). I can't really explain where the fun really comes from, just fun to go boing. (although this thread isn't really about trampoline enjoyment, but don't ban them from a few bad actors).

zwk500

Veteran Member
Don't ban them, but make attaching a secure owner ID to them a condition of sale, so that said owner can be billed for the disruption caused when they end up on the railway.
The only way to enforce this would be to have a register of trampolines and inspections of people's homes to ensure the tags remained attached, which isn't really practical or financially viable. Because if people know they're going to be billed if it flies away, then they'll remove the tags and if it has no tags once it's on the line it'll be rather difficult to definitively identify the rightful owner.

gabrielhj07

The only way to enforce this would be to have a register of trampolines and inspections of people's homes to ensure the tags remained attached, which isn't really practical or financially viable. Because if people know they're going to be billed if it flies away, then they'll remove the tags and if it has no tags once it's on the line it'll be rather difficult to definitively identify the rightful owner.
Is this a joke suggestion? :lol:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Surely any sensible person would anchor their trampoline to the ground rather than have it free standing? Well obviously not otherwise we wouldn't have disruption on the railway caused by trampolines!
I suspect most people put a few tent pegs/croquet hoop-type things on the legs to stop it shifting too much but a good wind and wet ground will make short work of that. It also depends on placement and the wind breaks in the gardens where they are.

mpthomson

Surely any sensible person would anchor their trampoline to the ground rather than have it free standing? Well obviously not otherwise we wouldn't have disruption on the railway caused by trampolines!
The easiest way to stop them moving in a wind is just to flip them upside down so that the surface is on the grass.

JamesT

Established Member
The easiest way to stop them moving in a wind is just to flip them upside down so that the surface is on the grass.
I’ve seen quite a few with a cage/net round them, which would make it difficult to flip without dismantling.

Status
Not open for further replies.